Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

This song, "Brother Louie," is a cover recorded by The Stories. It hit #1 the week of 7/14/73 for a 15 week stay on the charts. From my research, this failed to chart in the UK.

The original band that did this song was from the London, the band Hot Chocolate. In the UK their original became a Top 10 hit on the UK charts about 2 months prior to The Stories releasing their cover version of the same song. The Hot Chocolate original did not chart in the US at all. However the band Hot Chocolate did have other US hits, most notably perhaps their #3 hit, "You Sexy Thing."

Two bands, same song, each scoring big with it in either the UK or USA but no crossover. I doubt you see that very often!

Well, which version do you perfer? ....... :) missy

* Source Billboard Charts, OCC (UKCharts) and Wiki.

Major, Zager and Evan's song In the Year 2525 was a big one hit here too, all the way to #1 in 1969 for a 12 week run on the charts. I liked that Hot Chocolate clip you posted. Is Emma based on a true story? I personally think it's a great tune that would have done well over here; a shame it wasn't released. :(

Well, onto a triple decker today. These 3 songs that follow should be called One-Line-Wonders. They all have a main line that will get stuck in your head if you aren't careful! In fact those lines are used for the song titles too.*

From David Essex, reaching a peak of #5 the week of 1/12/74 for a 14 week chart stay....."Rock On"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgcYfKw0_TI

Later, in August of 1978, there was the band Exile with their Number One hit, "Kiss You All Over"

And to round it all out, we have Soft Cell reaching the #8 spot the week of May 22, 1982, with "Tainted Love."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEh5pWjcWCg

I actually bought this one ^^^ on an EP (extended play) record. :o Oh the things we like as youths. lol. ..... :) missy

*Source/Confirmation Billboard's Top 40/Joel Whitburn +Wiki

So David Essex ^^ was similar to our David Cassidy here? Wow, well he certainly looks the part!

Both Essex and Soft Cell only scored once over here, interesting. Soft Cell was my first punk or new wave ( not sure what they are classified as?) record I bought. But it wasn't my last, lol. Shortly after that I picked up this one hit wonder gem by another English singer that I think was considered new wave-ish.

Thomas Dolby, Blinded by Science reached #5 the week of 3/19/83 for a chart run of 15 weeks. (not the the best audio, but only clip I could find).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IlHgbOWj4o

This song above (or the time period) reminded me of another band that had a big one hit wonder here in the US. Technically they had 2 hits, but I don't remember the 2nd one (Lessons in Love), so I'm asking for a pass on that.The band is Level 42 and the song I adored was, "Something About You." The song peaked at #7 the week of 4/6/86 for a chart stay of 14 weeks.

In the UK, Level 42 charted all 11 of their albums and got 29 singles (!) on the UK charts per the OCC (UK record charts). In the US, according to Billboard only 3 albums charted and 2 lone singles (Something About You and Lessons in Love).*

What a great song. Love it........ :) missy

*Source: Billboard Charts (USA info), OCC (Official Charts Company) (UK info)

Major (and Fool in the Rain), for you. Maybe this will sound better on an HD clip? Joking with you, but the duo did get all 8 of their albums on the UK charts, only one album eeked in to the #31 spot here (1988, Sunshine on the Leith). Interesting! ......missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8Gb5GYpy8

Here's a one hit wonder from the late Warren Zevon. I learned upon researching he worked with many of the greats in the music scene. This went to #21 the week of 4/22/78 for a chart stay of 6 weeks.*

*Source: Billboard's Top 40, Joel Whitburn.

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been posted before (maybe even by me). If so, my apologies in advance. Not sure if this qualifies as a "One Hit Wonder" in the strictest definition of the words as this band also had some other songs played on the radio but none were played nearly as often as this one.

• 1 month later...

Ten Years Gone is a band that had success with multiple albums that charted here and in the UK.

However, in each country they only charted once on the Singles Charts, with different songs.

This song barely made the US Top 40 Billboard Singles Charts. It slipped in at #40 the week of 11/20/71 for a brief stay of 2 weeks. "I'd Love To Change The World....."

Here is Ten Years After one hit to make the UK Singles Charts, "Love Like A Man" (no other chart data available).*

Personal Comment: I missed this band entirely in their heyday and after hearing the above bluesy number wonder if they have other blues numbers like this, very nice! :) .....missy

*source: Billboard Top 40 Hits; Joel Whitburn and Wiki.

^ Oh, and they're called Ten Years After, not Ten Years Gone. One track mind, much? :D

:bagoverhead: How embarrassing. Well, TYG is one of my faves.... I think I'll stick to the songs I know or have heard. Here are two singers, both from Wales. Perhaps you will like these better than Ten Years After. :)

Dave Edmonds one hit wonder, "I Hear You Knocking" peaked at #4 the week of 01/16/71 for a chart run of 9 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRVRuLbp2w

And the attractive Mary Hopkin who is technically a two hit wonder. One song reached #13, the week of 5/03/69 for a 7 week duration. The other song went all the way to #2 the week of 10/12/68 for a 12 week run. Heck, I'll just include them both and ask for a slight exception on the one hit rule.*

The song that peaked at #13....."Goodbye"

And the bigger hit that peaked at #2...."Those Were The Days"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVhB0jGP7I

*source: Billboard Top 40 Hits by Joel Whitburn.

• 5 months later...

Six months since a post to the One Hit Wonder thread? :o It's one of my favorites.....here is a pair of great (imo, of course) songs to start things off...... :) missy

Both of these songs had chart runs on Billboard's Top 40 in the same year (1972) with each spending a total of 9 weeks there.

This one hit wonder single is from the original cast of the play Godspell. The song peaked at #13 the week of 06/24/72, "Day by Day."

Three months later, the charts gave Arlo Guthrie his only Top 40 hit. Reaching #18 the week of 09/09/72, "The City of New Orleans."*

*source: Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (3rd edition), Joel Whitburn.

• 5 months later...

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more one hit wonders......there are! :) A favorite pastime of mine to find these old gems, so here we go again...

Dr. John (Malcom John Rebennack Jr.) had this one hit wonder peaking at #9 the week of 05/12/73 for a 13 week Top 40 chart run.*

Rick Derringer (player in the Edgar Winter Band and previous to that, The McCoys of "Hang on Sloopy" fame) had this solo breakout the week of 3/02/74. The song went to #23 for a chart stay of 6 weeks.*

Personal comment. Wow....^^^ these guys look wired in for a true live performance, what a great show! :)

*Source: Billboard Board Top 40 Hits, 3rd Edtion, Joel Whitburn.

^^^ Oh, I remember that Dan Hartman song! :D Big hit in the early 1980's. Thanks for posting it ally.

Here is one I've been wanting to post for awhile. I couldn't decide if it belonged here or the R&B Soul thread. Apparently the record label (source wiki) also had issues with how to portray artist Bobby Caldwell on his debut album. They showed a silhouette of him so that he might get more airplay on R&B radio stations. In the end of course none of this mattered, (nor should it have ever mattered), but it was 1978. Bobby Caldwell has gone on to have a prolific career with several singles and is still very popular in Japan. This is the only song however that was his big one hit wonder....a cross-over hit. It peaked the week of 2/03/79 at #9 on Pop, #6 on R&B, and #10 on A/C*. A triple header and one of my personal all time favorites. :) Missy

Bobby Caldwell, "What You Won't do For Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPV4lc231Q

*Source: Billboard Top 40 Hits, 3rd Edition, Joel Whitburn and Wikipedia.

Archived