Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

What about

"Possum Kingdom" hit #9 on the charts while this particular song from Rubberneck never charted (at least that I've been able to find). The only other song from that record that did chart was "Away" which made it to #23. Maybe "One Hit Wonders" is a bit of a misnomer for this thread as most artists that hit the Top Ten or the #1 spot on the charts at least released another single, if not, they did release subsequent records, none of which were ever as successful as that one big hit. I guess the true meaning of a "One Hit Wonder"is an artist that had one hit song and was never heard from again. Though they are out there, I wouldn't think there's a great many of them as that's quite an anomaly. Maybe a better thread title would have been "Forgotten Songs" or something along those lines because it's not going to take long for all of the actual "one hit wonders" to be listed.

So, in the spirit of songs that may have slipped from the collective conscious (if it ever entered it to start with), I give you Chris Rea's "Working On It":

"Possum Kingdom" hit #9 on the charts while this particular song from Rubberneck never charted (at least that I've been able to find). The only other song from that record that did chart was "Away" which made it to #23. Maybe "One Hit Wonders" is a bit of a misnomer for this thread as most artists that hit the Top Ten or the #1 spot on the charts at least released another single, if not, they did release subsequent records, none of which were ever as successful as that one big hit. I guess the true meaning of a "One Hit Wonder"is an artist that had one hit song and was never heard from again. Though they are out there, I wouldn't think there's a great many of them as that's quite an anomaly. Maybe a better thread title would have been "Forgotten Songs" or something along those lines because it's not going to take long for all of the actual "one hit wonders" to be listed.

So, in the spirit of songs that may have slipped from the collective conscious (if it ever entered it to start with), I give you Chris Rea's "Working On It":

yeah i said the same thing, days ago.

I'm not sure the Ozark Mountain Daredevils really count as being "One Hit Wonders" since at least one of their other songs also charted pretty high:

Jahfin, you got me there. But that's okay because I had a back-up song in mind. I think they played this even MORE often than Jackie Blue,--and it was right around the same time (can you believe that)?

I don't like vans and I don't like this song but I think you'll agree this would qualify as a one-hit wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDaVG5Syqw&feature=related

Talking vans impress me even less. missy

Jahfin, you got me there.

Just to clarify, I think I'm been misunderstood here more than once on recent occasions. I'm not really trying to "get" you (or anybody for that matter) I just thought it was something worth noting. I've definitely posted some songs in this thread that don't technically qualify as "One Hit Wonders" but as I've mentioned, some artists have released songs to try to capitalize on the success of that one big hit and failed. They might have even had some songs before their one big hit (that earned them "one hit wonder" status). When that's the case (before after their big hit), I've at least tried to make mention of it so folks are aware that I also know it's not technically a "One Hit Wonder". In the case of an artist that's has a string of hits, I'll just post those clips in the YouTube thread so there's no confustion.

I don't like vans and I don't like this song but I think you'll agree this would qualify as a one-hit wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDaVG5Syqw&feature=related

Talking vans impress me even less. missy

That was definitely inescapable on the airwaves back in the day just like "Seasons In the Sun", another one hit wonder. Waylon Jennings did do a pretty good cover of "Chevy Van" though.

Just to clarify, I think I'm been misunderstood here more than once on recent occasions. I'm not really trying to "get" you (or anybody for that matter) I just thought it was something worth noting. I've definitely posted some songs in this thread that don't technically qualify as "One Hit Wonders" but as I've mentioned, some artists have released songs to try to capitalize on the success of that one big hit and failed. They might have even had some songs before their one big hit (that earned them "one hit wonder" status). When that's the case (before after their big hit), I've at least tried to make mention of it so folks are aware that I also know it's not technically a "One Hit Wonder". In the case of an artist that's has a string of hits, I'll just post those clips in the YouTube thread so there's no confustion.

That was definitely inescapable on the airwaves back in the day just like "Seasons In the Sun", another one hit wonder. Waylon Jennings did do a pretty good cover of "Chevy Van" though.

Jahfin,

My comment "you got me there" was not intended as a sarcastic or nasty reply. I meant it to come across as a "Ha Ha, you got me" funny reply. As in, I knew myself I was probably pushing the envelope with Jackie Blue. My step sister owned an Ozark Mountain Daredevils album and was a big fan. So I really did have a back-up in case someone decided it shouldn't make the cut. Agree with you on that call definitely.

As far as forum comments, etc. it was nice of you to clarify your position. I've already discovered online postings have a way of sometimes being interpreted completely wrong. I'm talking about myself here, not you. :) missy

Oh but wait, I'm sorry to tell you this but I did listen to Waylon of "Lookinback Texas" fame (was that the name?, good song) singing that horrible Chevy Van song and I still think it stinks. :lol: missy

• 3 weeks later...
I guess the true meaning of a "One Hit Wonder"is an artist that had one hit song and was never heard from again. Though they are out there, I wouldn't think there's a great many of them as that's quite an anomaly. Maybe a better thread title would have been "Forgotten Songs" or something along those lines because it's not going to take long for all of the actual "one hit wonders" to be listed.

So, in the spirit of songs that may have slipped from the collective conscious (if it ever entered it to start with), I give you Chris Rea's "Working On It"

Jahfin,

I think that is a good idea. Maybe call the thread "Forgotten Songs" as you suggested, or "What ever happened to that band......?" Well anyhow, I thought I would remind you of this hit Chris Rea had circa 1978. It was played a lot......did you forget it? The singer looks like a young Barry Manilow.

By the way, you never commented on my choices for disco in the previous ^^ entries. I was looking forward to that to see if I could persuade you there were some rockin/dancin disco tunes (a scant few!) that didn't stink.

Here is the big Chris Rea hit. Ring any bells, lol?........................:) missy.

Jahfin,

I think that is a good idea. Maybe call the thread "Forgotten Songs" as you suggested, or "What ever happened to that band......?"

I don't think there's any real need to change the title of the thread, if there's ever any doubt I usually just post in the general YouTube thread.

Well anyhow, I thought I would remind you of this hit Chris Rea had circa 1978. It was played a lot......did you forget it?

I can't say I remember it.

By the way, you never commented on my choices for disco in the previous ^^ entries. I was looking forward to that to see if I could persuade you there were some rockin/dancin disco tunes (a scant few!) that didn't stink.

I commented on disco in the other thread where you mentioned you'd posted these songs here. I'm sure there's exceptions to most every genre but no, I don't particularly care for these tunes. They're just not my thing. Here in N.C. "Beach Music" is very big with artists such as Chairman of the Board, the Embers, The Tams, etc. leading the pack but most of it I simply am not into but there are some artists such as Clarence Carter that also get classified as Beach Music whom I can tolerate. That's mostly because they come at it from more of a R & B angle and are not of the "I Love Beach Music" variety.

Oh, okay. Sorry if I bothered you.

Well, thank-you for taking the time to answer the thread here......................missy.

No bother, I just don't care for certain kinds of music and disco/dance is one of them. I appreciate all kinds of music though, even if they aren't my cup of tea.

Archived