Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

I think I read somewhere that he was an assistant engineer for some of the Beatles recordings.

Anyhoo, I LOVE this song, produced by Tommy James, "Tighter, Tighter" by Alive 'n Kicking. It's summer in a bottle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFtlSSMB2Q&feature=related

One of my personal faves from the Golden Sixties. Pure Pop Music at it's best. A one-hit wonder too!

The go-go dancers, clothes, hair, and atmosphere are great! Do any other Zep fans remember this oldie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh1Pry1yUjI

1-2-3, It's easy......like taking candy from a baby. :) missy

Holy crap, he was a white guy??!! Wow. Color me surprised.

Other singers I was wrong about previously: thought that was a guy singing "Venus" by Shocking Blue; didn't know who sang "I Can Sing Clearly Now" (Johnny Nash) but always had assumed it was a woman.

I thought for years this group was foreign - maybe Dutch - but actually they're not. I can't account for the slightly eccentric pronunciation: The Kings "Switchin' to Glide"

Other singers I was wrong about previously: thought that was a guy singing "Venus" by Shocking Blue; didn't know who sang "I Can Sing Clearly Now" (Johnny Nash) but always had assumed it was a woman.

Just a random fact about the album "I Can See Clearly Now" comes from but if my memory serves, the then unknown Bob Marley is all over that record.

I think 2 of the following 3 one-hit wonder songs were mentioned way back on this thread, but with no accompanying clip. So, hope no one minds a repeat with video included now. These are all Amercian bands/musicans, Oliver and Scott McKenzie both hail from North Carolina originally. This is the first time I've ever put 3 clips together, but felt they belonged together. And in the words of one of the video uploaders........

Let's Give It Up For the Love and Peace Generation!

Scott McKenzie, San Francisco (Be sure to wear flowers in your hair). Reached #4 in June 1967.

Oliver, Good Morning Starshine. Peaked at #3 in June 1969.

And finally, The Youngbloods, Get Together, Hit the #5 spot in August of 1969. My personal fave!......:peace: missy

Here are a couple of classic songs from the 1980's! Definitely One Hit Wonders, and good too, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkpGQUflBwU

Tommy Tutone band, I think most people remember the number, 867-5309 (Jenny)! This song reached #4 in March 1982.

And Michael Sembello, Maniac. From the movie, Flashdance, all the way to #1 in July 1983.

MTV played this video a lot in the day, when MTV was a real music channel! ......missy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Being a big lover of Neil Young's music I was flabbergasted that the late 60's group he was in (Buffalo Springfield) had only this Top 40 hit.

From the week of Feb. 18, 1967 and peaking at #7, "For What it's Worth," featuring a very young Neil Young!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuGcwa03SQw&feature=related

Neil Young wrote/composed a track for his Comes a Time album called "Lotta Love."

Ironically, the song was not a hit for Neil, but it was a big one hit wonder for Nicolette Larson peaking at #8 in December 1978.*

Great song,"Lotta Love," it brings back a lotta memories! ........:) missy

*all chart info from Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits/Joel Whitburn

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple of 1960's Instrumentals that charted within 2 weeks of each other. How many of you remember these?

Coming in @ Number 2 the week of 6/08/68 and staying in the Top 40 for 12 weeks, Cliff Nobles and Co., "The Horse"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUHMrGx_jG0

A mere 2 weeks later Hugh Masekela was the first artist to send "Grazing in the Grass" all the way to Number 1 the week of 06/22/68.

Interestingly, less than a year later the band Friends of Distinction added lyrics and the song charted again @ Number 3 on 4/26/69 for a 13 week stay in the Top 40.

*All chart data from Joel Whitburn's book, "Billboard Book of Top 40 hits."......:) missy

This band only managed one Top 40 hit, but it stayed on the charts for 12 weeks.

Smile a little smile for me, by Flying Machine went to Number 5 week of 10/18/69.

This next song is a one hit wonder byTommy James in June of 1971 (#4).

Not to be confused with Tommy James and The Shondells where he scored an impressive 14 entries onto the charts!*

*source:Billboard Top 40, Joel Whitburn author.

EDIT: Two points, The uploader of the Tommy James video has it wrong on the title screen. This was not done by Tommy James and The Shondells. It was a solo record! Second point, when checking, I discovered Tommy James did indeed have a 2nd song break into the Top 40 called "Three Times in Love" charting @19 week of 2/23/80. But I sure don't remember it, so I'm asking for a pass and letting Dragging the Line stay as a one hit wonder. Thanks for letting me clarify. :) missy

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is a shocker (to me)......Jimi Hendrix charted ONE Top 40 song in the USA according to all my references/sources.

I recently started listening to Jimi and this floored me.

Surprising not only because of how good his music was, but also (in my opinion) how radio friendly some of his other songs were for the time. "All Along the Watchtower," is the one that cracked the Top 40, climbing to #20 on Billboard the week of 9/28/68.

However, I'd like it noted that Jimi Hendrix charted in the UK and Australia much more frequently.

Our Aussie friends had the highest number of Jimi songs in their Top 40, a total of eight. The songs, 1. Hey Joe, 2. Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 3. Foxy Lady, 4. All Along the Watchtower, 5. Crosstown Traffic, 6. Stone Free, 7. Fire, and this one I picked as a favorite......8. (The Wind Cries Mary)** :) missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbkZF2L71DE

**source: USA info: Billboard Top 40 Hits/Joel Whitburn.

UK and Australia info: Wiki, and The Kent Music Report (AU).

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a Netherlands duo (Mouth and MacNeal) that had a one hit wonder called "How Do You Do?" I vaguely remember this, but it did go all the way to #8 (US charts) the week of June 17, 1972.*

Pretty entertaining video for the pre-MTV days imo....... :) missy

This is perhaps (?) a more memorable one hit song from Graham Nash. Nash had multiple hits with various lineups of Crosby, Stills, and Young. But....this was his only solo record to crack the Top 40 the week of July 10th, 1971 (number 35).*

*Source: Billboard Book of Top 40 hits/Joel Whitburn

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple more one hit wonders I don't believe have been posted yet. Both of these are from 1970, the summer of 1970 to be more specific. From Mungo Jerry, "In the Summertime." This one went to #3 the week of 7/25/70 for a stay of 11 weeks.

Next up, Pacific Gas and Electric who charted the previous month with "Are You Ready?" A little less successful than Mungo Jerry but still managed to climb to #14 the week of 6/20/70 for a run of 9 weeks. Note: This appears to be an extended version as I can't imagine they would have allowed for a 7 minute plus song on a single back then! * :) ......missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSAAiBdCJg&feature=related

*all chart data from Billboard's Book of Top 40, Joel Whitburn

Mungo Jerry weren't one hit wonders. They had several other UK chart hits, not sure how many or how big, but I remember Long Legged Woman Dressed In Black, Baby Jump, Lady Rose and Alright Alright Alright..

Thanks for the additional information Major. You may be able to tell from the frequency of my posts this is my favorite non-Zep thread. I do self impose a couple rules before I post. I have to remember the song myself, even if vaguely and I generally select songs that I personally like. :)

This thread woud be easy to fill up by lifting and copying songs from one hit wonder charts that are available on the web. But what fun is that? Since I've only resided here in the US, the songs/bands are based on if they made it to our Billboard Top 40, one time only. Billboard was the main chart used here in the 60's and 70's. I do use a great book by Joel Whitburn, (Billboard's Top 40) to confirm what my old memory recalls for one hits and occasionally to flip through and discover songs I had forgotten.

I am aware there were UK charts around at that time, such as N.M.E., Melody Maker, Record Mirror and Disc. I'm also familiar with The Kent Music Report that tracks charting in Australia for that time period. I would be interested in seeing how some of these bands fared in other countries and also because I know the Zep community is not based in the USA alone. But it would simply be too time consuming to cross reference these bands on every chart out there, hence my sticking to the US charts.

Finally, I do occasionally include additional chart info if I have an artist that intrigues me enough (and hopefully others) to spend the time researching. You may have noticed I did that on the Jimi Hendrix entry above, citing The Kent Report for the 8 singles charted. I should have included the UK information as well in retrospect. I can't do an edit now, so I'll add it here for you or anyone interested.

Jimi Hendrix did chart 7 singles based on the OCC (Official Charts Company). They were 1. Hey Joe 2. Purple Haze 3. The Wind Cries Mary 4. Burning of the Midnight Lamp 5. All Along the Watchtower 6. Crosstown Traffic and 7. Voodoo Child (slight return). Our Australian friends still had more Hendrix songs that charted than anyone else. If you include those that made it in to the Top 100 then the Aussies placed Jimi on their music charts 11 times. That's the highest number and once again I am left wondering how he could have charted only once over here.

Thanks again for the info. It's great knowing some of these bands reached success in other places.

............ :) missy

Major, ^^^ that's a good one! That was indeed a one hit wonder here, and I thought it had to be very early or very late music, but no smack in the middle of where I remember most of the songs, April 1972. It had a stay of 6 weeks and reached #27. Almost a pre-punk feel to it, would you agree?

On the Jimi Hendrix update, (I've only recently discovered his genius so please indulge me!) would you believe he charted in the Top 20 (Hey Joe, #10 and Purple Haze, #17) as far away as Norway in 1966. Yet here, only the one lone song @ #20 All along the Watchtower. Full disclosure, Jimi did have 5 other songs that got onto the charts here at #52, #65, #67, #82, and #130. But Major, over here at that time if your song wasn't moving up to eventually make it in the Top 40, it didn't get the airplay and was not considered successful by the standards of the day in radio. These other countries recognized Jimi Hendrix's gifts to music much faster than us Amercians, at least on the charts.

I think it's great if you scan this thread and please do post some UK one hit wonders too. We need some variety here and I love seeing others contribute! :) Plus I wonder if the reverse happens where you guys have a one hit wonder song/band but they do better here?

Well, here I go breaking my one of my own rules, as this next choice is a song I've never heard before now, but it qualifies for the thread. I do know of the band Love, thanks to books on Zep citing it as one of Robert Plant's favorites. Good enough for me!

From September 1966 for a brief stay of 3 weeks charting as high as #33, I give you Love, 7 and 7 is*.........missy

*source Billboard's Top 40, Joel Whitburn.

Wow! Those ^^^ are some great songs. Some may not have hit the US Charts, but they are cool to hear anyway. Thanks for posting, Major and dazed cat. That band The Young Ones reminds of Devo, with their own big one hit, Whip It.

The strangest, but still interesting song posted in this last batch imo, has to be the O'Superman. I had to look that up myself to confirm it really was a hit (no offense Major, I thought it might be a joke) but sure enough it made it all the way to Number 2 on the UK charts! Ireland, The Netherlands, and New Zealand were the only other countries this song charted. Wiki lists Laurie Anderson as experimental rock, that's pretty obvious after one listen. Great music to discover, weirdness aside. :)

Back to the US charts for a moment, here's a trio of clips from the 1960's and early 1971. Diversity of styles abundant on these three "one hit wonders." First up is Sonny, but no Cher. This song reached #10 in September 1965 and had a stay of 8 weeks in the Top 40.

The Standells, Dirty Water I do remember playing on the Am Radio in the day. The song was a hit in the summer of 1966, peaking at #11 (6/11/66) for a chart run of 9 weeks.

This last band Bloodrock, barely qualifies for even one hit wonder chart status as only one song "DOA" snuck in at #36 in Feburary 1971, but dropped back off the charts only 2 weeks later. A bit of a prog/spacey/scary sound imo. Maybe others can add more info on this group*....... :) missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O79EN3z6IpU

*Source for Info and Confirmation, Billboard Charts and Wiki.

Archived