Steve Earle Q & A

Jahfin

Thanks Jahfin. I'm a huge Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt fan - this should be quite interesting to hear.

I'm looking forward to it as well. I also think it's very cool that Guy Clark has saluted Townes by included at least one cover on each of his albums.

Have you seen this yet? If not, it's a definite must for any fan of Townes.

beheretoloveme.jpg

I'm looking forward to it as well. I also think it's very cool that Guy Clark has saluted Townes by included at least one cover on each of his albums.

Have you seen this yet? If not, it's a definite must for any fan of Townes.

beheretoloveme.jpg

I don't know how I missed that! Must look out for it.

• 4 months later...

Freeing a Mentor From His Mythology

10decur_190.jpg

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

Steve Earle, above in Greenwich Village, has a new album

of songs by his mentor Townes Van Zandt.

By ANTHONY DeCURTIS

WOODSTOCK, N.Y.

SINCE he released his first album in 1968, and especially since his death in 1997, the country songwriter Townes Van Zandt has been a prototypical cult figure. Though his songs have been recorded by the likes of Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson and the Cowboy Junkies, Van Zandt never sold many records himself, and he battled addiction and depression for decades. His songs, at once lyrical and unsentimental, depicted love, and life itself, as experiences to be enjoyed free from all (inevitably disappointed) expectations. In the world of alternative country and beyond, to announce yourself as one of Van Zandt’s fans helps establish your critical discernment — and, by implication, indicts an undiscerning public that allowed a genius to die essentially unknown.

The singer-songwriter Steve Earle is having none of that. Something of a cult figure himself, he was Van Zandt’s protégé and remains one of his most ardent champions. But he is not interested in sustaining the myth of Van Zandt as a beautiful loser. “When somebody’s as good as Townes Van Zandt was and more people don’t know about it, it’s Townes’s fault,” Mr. Earle said at his home here. “For whatever reasons, he shot himself in the foot every damn chance he got.”

Click here to read the rest of the article.

I heard -stever earle's cover of -lungs, with -tom morello. it was really cool...but i don't know about the space of it, should have been longer, song seems to suddenly be over. i really like the guitar and guitar noise by -morello. it starts off with the lyric and then the pace quickens with the morello part, maybe musically they should have stretched it a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

From Raleigh News & Observer music writer David Menconi's On the Beat blog:

Steve Earle: From stage to page

20090311steveearletvz.jpg

If you've got tickets to Steve Earle's soldout Wednesday night show at Carrboro ArtsCenter, you'll doubtless hear even more Townes Van Zandt songs than usual -- seeing as how Earle's new album is a tribute to his late great mentor. By then, it's even possible that Earle will have finished the first draft of his novel, "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive." When I interviewed Earle last week, he was singing the deadline blues.

"I promised my editor I'd hand her a draft today," Earle said, laughing a bit. "Not gonna happen. She'll track me down in a couple of days and find out it will probably be late next week. I've got a few more things to do on it, so I'll try to get some work done on the bus. I'm almost there."

To read more, plus an interview with Steve, click here.

I have to get that album!! Great version of Colorado Girl on Letterman! I like the fact that Letterman held a vinyl copy of the record and not a CD. Sure prove the revival of vinyl is here.

Archived