Bands that really like or really dont like Zeppelin

LedZep1969

I know that some bands dont like zeppelin but a lot do. Oh and does AC/DC like Zep?

Dislikes: ?????

I would assume that the band Mindless Self Indulgence, who have a song called "I Hate Jimmy Page," aren't big fans.

I think The Clash were quite vocal in their dislike. Didn't the whole "punk" scene refer to them as "dinosaurs?"

I know that some bands dont like zeppelin but a lot do. Oh and does AC/DC like Zep?

Dislikes: ?????

I guess AC/DC have referred to the Zeps in some songs, like Whole Lotta Rosie and Nervous Shakedown, but I don't know what point they tried to get across there :huh:. Maybe it was their way of tributing them, friendly rivalry, and/or joking about LZ being for girls and AC/DC for guys???

Nirvana on the other hand basically liked LZ and were influenced by the band, but also pointed out the generation gap between them. Grohl (and the Foos) at least seems to be a fan, and Kurt said that he valued Led Zeppelin's music but criticized them for having written too much lyrics about their own "lemons" and having sex.

A LOT of bands have been influenced by Led Zeppelin. Some even don't necessarily like them, but have used their style for some of their songs... and that had to happen whether they wanted or not.

U2 just acknowledged Led Zep as a main influence in their new album.

There's so many of them, that I'm sure naming them would be...pointless?

Also, some legendary bands, for the sake of diplomacy, say they admire and like Led Zeppelin; and even though they have countless accolades achieved..I know deep down inside they're burning with jealousy and envy.

[cough]thewhocreamtherollingstonesblacksabbathtonameafew[/cough] :rolleyes:

The Clash openly hate Zeppelin, other than that I can't think of any other big artists who dislike them.

Not really - Paul Simonon made one stupid comment (album covers/throw up) once in a time when he knew it would grab headlines. He probably didn't mean a word. The rest of the band were quite happy to admit at later stages that they actually liked the band, and a mate of mine spent a happy evening listening to Zeppelin albums with Joe Strummer.

The whole "Punk against Zeppelin" thing was mainly aimed at making the whole punk thing seem fresh and new - it was bollocks for the most part. John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) ended up phoning Robert in the 90s to ask him for the lyrics for "Kashmir" as he wanted to record it, Rat Scabies of the Damned was originaly lined up to be drummer for "The Firm" - that's how silly it all was.

Nirvana on the other hand basically liked LZ and were influenced by the band, but also pointed out the generation gap between them. Grohl (and the Foos) at least seems to be a fan, and Kurt said that he valued Led Zeppelin's music but criticized them for having written too much lyrics about their own "lemons" and having sex.

And grohl also called them fossils when Nirvana hit big so let's not all start pulling at his belt with mouths wide open just yet. I love when grohl is mentioned cuz I always get to say my favorite line on this forum................wait for it..............Fuck dave grohl!

He's a kiss ass that says Zep was the greatest band of all time when he's around them, then when The Who is honored, he says THEY were the greatest band of all time. Same with Ozzy/Sabbath.

grohl(and the Foos) sold a hell of alot more DVDs having JP and JPJ on it than they would've without. He's opportunistic twat.

Well now that ABBA's drummer has passed, I guess he'll be kissing their asses to drum for them next.

He's a kiss ass that says Zep was the greatest band of all time when he's around them, then when The Who is honored, he says THEY were the greatest band of all time. Same with Ozzy/Sabbath.

Don't forget what he has said about Queen. B)

And grohl also called them fossils when Nirvana hit big so let's not all start pulling at his belt with mouths wide open just yet. I love when grohl is mentioned cuz I always get to say my favorite line on this forum................wait for it..............Fuck dave grohl!

grohl(and the Foos) sold a hell of alot more DVDs having JP and JPJ on it than they would've without. He's opportunistic twat.

Well now that ABBA's drummer has passed, I guess he'll be kissing their asses to drum for them next.

Hmm... I believe Kurt was genuinely ambivalent about the Zeps, which is fine by me, but yeah... I must say I've wondered about Grohl myself too. I don't remember hearing him call the Zeps fossils, but certainly he didn't dare oppose Kurt in public when Cobain called them dinosaurs.

There are too many that like them and I bet some who wouldn't dare say they don't out loud! LOL.

Anyways, I have heard Nikki Sixx say he is not a big fan only because he thought they were "stuck in the blues musically and didn't go much further" something like that he told Rolling Stone a couple of years back. Also, years ago I was watching TV and on VH1 they had a show called "The List" when people were picking their favorite bands and Johnny Rzeznick of the Goo Goo Dolls was hosting and he said he hated Zeppelin growing up but he preferred Page, Jones and Bonham only but that "Robert Plant's gotta go". Sounded more like he had issues with Robert's singing, instead of the bands music.

I do think it is cool when Jack White said "I don't trust anyone who DOESN'T like Zep" and also Dave Mustaine said that "It is odd NOT to like Zep". Just shows how powerful their influence is. B)

In the interviews R.E.M. recently did for their latest album Accelerate guitarist Peter Buck cited Page as an influence. They also had John Paul Jones produce and do some of the string arrangements for Automatic For the People. Back in the day it also wasn't uncommon for R.E.M. to cover Whole Lotta Love.

I know Elliot Easton of The Cars is big into Page, I've actually chatted with him about it. Not in person, he is a member of a forum and was asking about Tone Bender clones a while back. He is big into Page's early Tele tone, specifically something he heard on some Yardbirds boot. I wasn't at all surprised by Elliot's Page interest, I've always heard a lot of Page in his playing.

pete townshend hates zeppelin i know that and dave grohl has bonzos tattoo on his arm and loves zeppelin.. used to study bonzos every move as a kid.. and as stated jack white

I have Bonzo's symbol on my arm as well and studied his every move. Difference is I love Zep as well but grohl loves whoever he can play with. (See earlier posts in this thread).

Judging from grohl's performance of Rock and Roll when joined by Page and Jones at the Foo Fighters show, his study skills could use improvement.

The idiot singer from the Goo Goo Dolls opened an episode of an old VH1 music show with a celebrity panel by declaring that he hated Robert Plant. And, for some reason, before the show was over he said it again. I can vaguely remember anything about that show aside from that.

The idiot singer from the Goo Goo Dolls opened an episode of an old VH1 music show with a celebrity panel by declaring that he hated Robert Plant. And, for some reason, before the show was over he said it again. I can vaguely remember anything about that show aside from that.

I bought that up in post#14. It was a show called "The List" that used to come on VH1 from 1999-2000.

Archived