Noooooo!

ms_zeppelin94

Most true residents of the Nashville/Brentwood/Franklin area have no desire to mingle with celebrity musicians (unless we know them from church, kid's school, or some connection). We leave that to the tourists. :rolleyes:

Yeah, tourists like Robert Plant ! :lol:

How long does it take to live in an area to be considered a "true resident" ? Is Alison a true resident ? Didn't she grow up in Ohio or somewhere like that ? And with a name like yours, if you're a true resident why aren't you named Tennesseegirl ?

I'm just curious why locals would avoid someone they admire. Not pounce like papparazzi, but enjoy conversation and engaging like a human being would in normal life. Drop the celebrity aura and just be people. Often that's what a 'star' likes and appreciates. They can see through a person and tell if there's real interest or autograph/picture taking geeks talking with them. They don't put themselves in the middle of a bunch of folk and expect NOT to be recognized, even just a nod of the head is appreciated and returned. Your idea sounds elitist to me.

How long does it take to live in an area to be considered a "true resident" ? Is Alison a true resident ? Didn't she grow up in Ohio or somewhere like that ? And with a name like yours, if you're a true resident why aren't you named Tennesseegirl ?

I'm just curious why locals would avoid someone they admire. Not pounce like papparazzi, but enjoy conversation and engaging like a human being would in normal life. Drop the celebrity aura and just be people. Often that's what a 'star' likes and appreciates. They can see through a person and tell if there's real interest or autograph/picture taking geeks talking with them. They don't put themselves in the middle of a bunch of folk and expect NOT to be recognized, even just a nod of the head is appreciated and returned. Your idea sounds elitist to me.

Alison is originally from Illinois, not Ohio. I think areas like Nashville, New York and Los Angeles which have a huge celebrity population aren't quite so awed by them because it's more commonplace. They tend to give them space and freedom to live their life. It's probably why aside from those areas being industry hubs, they gravitate there because they can move about more freely. THAT I would think they'd appreciate a lot. I don't think it's elitist at all.

Then call me elitist, because I see them all the time. And I leave them alone. If they speak first I speak back, and keep walking. And my neighbors do the same.

I grew up in Kentucky and resettled in Nashville for a job. Just like the musicians.

Alison is originally from Illinois, not Ohio. I think areas like Nashville, New York and Los Angeles which have a huge celebrity population aren't quite so awed by them because it's more commonplace. They tend to give them space and freedom to live their life. It's probably why aside from those areas being industry hubs, they gravitate there because they can move about more freely. THAT I would think they'd appreciate a lot. I don't think it's elitist at all.

Thanks, I knew it was one of those central midwest states. Sure there's more 'space' in a sense of other celebrities/musicians in each of these areas. LA and NY are so huge (and often have a 'snobby', 'detached' feel) that the sheer numbers kind of 'hide' anyone. But Nashville isn't that big. It's more like a small town atmosphere, and THAT's why alot of the coastal musicians move there because it is homier, friendlier. The elitist part I allude to is thinking you can be out in public and NOT have someone recognize you to possibly make eye contact and that friendly 'nod' I spoke of. If I look at anyone in the eye and nod a friendly gesture, if they don't acknowledge I find that elitist, separatist. Of course there's a change they're off somewhere else and actually don't 'see' me, then I understand.

Then call me elitist, because I see them all the time. And I leave them alone. If they speak first I speak back, and keep walking. And my neighbors do the same.

I grew up in Kentucky and resettled in Nashville for a job. Just like the musicians.

You wait till they "speak" first ? Is that just with celebrities/musician's or anyone ? I am not shy, and I don't hold back saying "Hi" to anyone. I don't put certain people on pedestals and not act as if they're just 'people'. I believe that is what a famous person appreciates. True humanity in contact (conversation or that 'nod' of the head) and respond in kind. If they don't have that, "Don't bother me, even with just a gesture, I'm too good for that", or "I'm a STAR, bow down, dont' look me in the eye". That was cause for death in the dark ages if a commoner even crossed the shadown of nobility.

I'd still rather be friendly that act coy and not engage in simple conversation with anyone, STAR or not.

As far as this topic straying off, which topics don't ? There's no cussing or fighting here, it's just gone off on a separate tangent, so what ?

Once I've gotten 'into the minds' of some celebrities/STARS, I've found they open up cause they've found a true friend and have wanted to anyway, they just had to lower there 'defenses' brought on by unfriendly people.

Thanks, I knew it was one of those central midwest states. Sure there's more 'space' in a sense of other celebrities/musicians in each of these areas. LA and NY are so huge (and often have a 'snobby', 'detached' feel) that the sheer numbers kind of 'hide' anyone. But Nashville isn't that big. It's more like a small town atmosphere, and THAT's why alot of the coastal musicians move here because it is homier, friendlier. The elitist part I allude to is thinking you can be out in public and NOT have someone recognize you to possibly make eye contact and that friendly 'nod' I spoke of. If I look at anyone in the eye and nod a friendly gesture, if they don't acknowledge I find that elitist, separatist. Of course there's a change they're off somewhere else and actually don't 'see' me, then I understand.

You wait till they "speak" first ? Is that just with celebrities/musician's or anyone ? I am not shy, and I don't hold back saying "Hi" to anyone. I don't put certain people on pedestals and not act as if they're just 'people'. I believe that is what a famous person appreciates. True humanity in contact (conversation or that 'nod' of the head) and respond in kind. If they don't have that, "Don't bother me, even with just a gesture, I'm too good for that", or "I'm a STAR, bow down, dont' look me in the eye". That was cause for death in the dark ages if a commoner even crossed the shadown of nobility.

I'd still rather be friendly that act coy and not engage in simple conversation with anyone, STAR or not.

As far as this topic straying off, which topics don't ? There's no cussing or fighting here, it's just gone off on a separate tangent, so what ?

Once I've gotten 'into the minds' of some celebrities/STARS, I've found they open up cause they've found a true friend and have wanted to anyway, they just had to lower there 'defenses' brought on by unfriendly people.

I've been around a fair amount of famous people and my experience has been, they appreciate when they have time to just "be" themselves, without people staring or coming up to them. As they are entitled. They expect to be approached a lot but I don't think they feel shunned because people aren't making eye contact or saying hello. I still don't see this as elitist. They're people too just like us and I see it as showing respect for their privacy by leaving them to their business.

I've been around a fair amount of famous people and my experience has been, they appreciate when they have time to just "be" themselves, without people staring or coming up to them. As they are entitled. They expect to be approached a lot but I don't think they feel shunned because people aren't making eye contact or saying hello. I still don't see this as elitist. They're people too just like us and I see it as showing respect for their privacy by leaving them to their business.

You're taking it to the far end and saying avoid, without the contact, AT ALL. I never said staring etc. I'm just saying a simple "Hi" or even if they seem receptive a brief or longer conversation.

There certainly CAN be a elitist quality exhibited if one of these STARS acts that way all the time, with anyone 'on the street' as a matter of practice. You're re-enforcing that 'social status' of elitism in your view shown here.

Humanity is sharing, not just material goods, but acknowledgements of "Hello's etc." I guess in your view, correct me if I'm wrong, EVERYONE should not approach ANYONE in public because they ALL are going about their 'business', so stay within your own sphere. NO, often time, people are out for FUN, not business (that term is too businesslike :lol:), and simple engagement is good. Often received positively like I've experienced on MANY occasions. I have alot of 'celebrity' friends because I made the first contact. Rarely have I been shunned or blown off. It's because I'm genuine and, like a dog, these people can sense that. I'm all the time petting people's dogs in public and they often say, "My dog usually doesn't act that friendly with strangers. It's because they sense my intent and don't act 'standoffish' or growl. Some people have this characteristic in their being too, some don't.

You're taking it to the far end and saying avoid, without the contact, AT ALL. I never said staring etc. I'm just saying a simple "Hi" or even if they seem receptive a brief or longer conversation.

There certainly CAN be a elitist quality exhibited if one of these STARS acts that way all the time, with anyone 'on the street' as a matter of practice. You're re-enforcing that 'social status' of elitism in your view shown here.

Humanity is sharing, not just material goods, but acknowledgements of "Hello's etc." I guess in your view, correct me if I'm wrong, EVERYONE should not approach ANYONE in public because they ALL are going about their 'business', so stay within your own sphere. NO, often time, people are out for FUN, not business (that term is too businesslike :lol:), and simple engagement is good. Often received positively like I've experienced on MANY occasions. I have alot of 'celebrity' friends because I made the first contact. Rarely have I been shunned or blown off. It's because I'm genuine and, like a dog, these people can sense that. I'm all the time petting people's dogs in public and they often say, "My dog usually doesn't act that friendly with strangers. It's because they sense my intent and don't act 'standoffish' or growl. Some people have this characteristic in their being too, some don't.

No I didn't say that at all. I'm a very friendly person and often strike up conversations standing on lines etc. I guess having been around celebrities I don't have quite a level of awe (which isn't to say I don't admire their work or have huge amounts of respect/gratitude for what they've done) where I feel the need to approach or necessarily acknowledge them unless the situation was such that it naturally happened is all.

Me thinks we could go round in circles on this - we see it a bit differently and that's fine. Agree to disagree I say.

I don't understand this, forgive me. Do you mean that most famous people are so sensitive, that they interpret all normal glances and looks as staring and everyday conversation with others as a nuisance? I find it quite hard to believe that most of them would really be that shy, so isn't this really just elitism then?

Edit; Looks like you already answered this, so nevermind. :)

Who's To Blame was a great opening song on the Outrider tour. Jimmy Page should add that to any future set list.

Jimmy ? Outrider ? Who's to Blame ?

What's that got to do with the price of a "meat and three" in Nashville ? :huh:

j/k, thanks for bringing us all back on topic !

Was that just an instrumental or did it have vocals too ? And, was that the album that had some soundtrack music for one of those Charles Bronson flicks ?

Jimmy Buffett recently posted three entries on his website about a recent trip to the Outer Banks of NC. In one of the entries he also posted this, his rules about about signing autographs for fans:

1) I won’t sign autographs when I am in the act of eating (drinking is okay). Eating is a sacrament to me, and something, which is never to be interrupted. In my world, it comes with the punishment of eternal damnation in the fires of hell (can’t get away from that Catholic thing).

2) As for photos, it all depends on your manners and what kind of mood I am in, and if I do take photos I ask that you keep them as personal keepsakes and not post them on the internet or blogs and not shared with the entire planet earth. A photo should be a keepsake, not a calling card.

3) Finally, I don’t want anybody bothering me when I am at home and that includes on my boat. Other than that, I feel that I am fair game and it is all just a part of the job, and I have found the vast majority of the time, fans I meet out there couldn’t be more respectful and mannerly and I do appreciate that. I still have a bit of a problem with that celebrity stuff as I do still only see myself as a beach boy, ex-altar boy from Mobile, who worked hard and got lucky and not much more. To me, it is just my job.

Than most people, except of course those from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWx9H0IH-30.

Haha!

::slowly backing back out of this thread...hoping not to trip and fall on the ghosts of Led Zeppelin past::

:D

If I need a giggle...

There really are a few musicians and performers who play the game right and sometimes get it...

kit.jpg

Archived