Metallica, Run DMC to be inducted into Rock Hall

Jahfin

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/42076

Guitarist Jeff Beck also makes the list of 2009 honourees

Metallica and Run DMC are among the artists that will be nominated into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year.

Both bands formed in the US approximately 25 years ago and are widely considered to be among the most influential bands in their genres.

Run DMC were pioneering hip-hop artists in the early 1980s and achieved great success when they collaborated with Aerosmith to remake 'Walk This Way'. The rap duo Joseph "Run" Simmons and Darryl "DMC" McDaniels lost their DJ, Jam Master Jay, in a 2002 shooting.

Metallica have been an enduring force in heavy metal, releasing their first album in 1983 and their latest album, 'Death Magnetic', in 2008. Their self-titled album reached the top of the US Billboard chart in 1991, and they have been one of the most critically acclaimed heavy metal bands in the US.

Guitarist Jeff Beck, who has collaborated with the likes of Mick Jagger and Stevie Wonder and is widely considered one of the world's best guitarists, will also be inducted.

The complete list of 2009 inductees is:

Jeff Beck

Little Anthony & the Imperials

Metallica

Run-D.M.C.

Bobby Womack

Early Influence Category Inductee:

Wanda Jackson

Sidemen Category:

Bill Black

DJ Fontana

Spooner Oldham

The induction ceremony is set to take place on April 4 and will be held in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's home city of Cleveland for the first time in more than 10 years. It will be broadcast live in the US on Fuse TV.

Yet STILL no Alice Cooper, KISS, Judas Priest, Faces, Humble Pie, Three Dog Night, Grand Funk. I could go on about what's the point.

I'm a fan but why would some of those groups even belong in the Hall? I understand Kiss, Alice Cooper and the Faces since they were true pioneers but I'm not so sure the others even come close to meeting the criteria for induction. For instance, what were Grand Funk Railroad doing that tons of other groups weren't already doing that were far more influential?

Does anyone know if Peter Frampton is in yet? Besides Zep, he was one of my favorite artists from the '70's.

He's not in and I doubt he ever will be. I'm a fan but I don't know that he ever did anything to warrant induction.

For a list of inductees you can check the Hall of Fame site here.

I really like the fact that Spooner is one of the inductees. He more then deserves this.

That, he does. In addition to his vast catalog of work I've really enjoyed his contributions to the last Truckers record as well as Decoration Day.

The Rock N Roll HOF can kiss my ass! It sucks! First off it's located in the wrong city

Cleveland? :huh: Should have been in a more rock n roll place like New York, Memphis or

New Orleans where the roots of rock n roll began! :slapface:

They belong there before Metallica. Just a bunch of noise. I hate Metallica.

What happened to:

Ill tell you what, this is the last time I will talk to you.

So you don't like Metallica so therefore they belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame? I'm not even a fan but they meet all of the criteria to a t. You must be living under a rock (something that already goes without saying) to not know just how influential they've been.

The Rock N Roll HOF can kiss my ass! It sucks! First off it's located in the wrong city

Cleveland? :huh: Should have been in a more rock n roll place like New York, Memphis or

New Orleans where the roots of rock n roll began! :slapface:

Rock n' roll began in New York? I don't think the roots of rock n' roll can be traced to any one place, much less New York. No matter where it's located it wouldn't stop people from bitching. It's in Cleveland because of Alan Freed, the radio announcer who's believed to be the first to coin the phrase "rock n' roll".

I know that Run DMC worked with Aerosmith on Walk This Way, but besides that what did they do for rock and roll? They are a RAP group. There are many other musicians who deserve to be in there that aren't. Then again, there are a lot of musicians in there who don't deserve to be there. Some of them other types of music, but not rock and roll. Madonna for instance did nothing for rock and roll maybe pop music.

I guess it's a fine line since performers like James Brown and Bob Marley definitely belong in there because they had a profound influence on rock n' roll even though Brown was a R & B performer and Marley did reggae. Run DMC were without a doubt influential on the convergence of rap and rock which brought us Anthrax doing Bring Tha Noize with Public Enemy which in turn wrought Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, Korn and many others that mixed rap and rock n' roll.

Rock n' roll began in New York? I don't think the roots of rock n' roll can be traced to any one place, much less New York. No matter where it's located it wouldn't stop people from bitching. It's in Cleveland because of Alan Freed, the radio announcer who's believed to be the first to coin the phrase "rock n' roll".

Re-read my post, I said New Orleans and it can be traced. It was a mix of Memphis blues that migrated down the Mississippi to the cresent city and co-mingled with

Jazz, folk and country to become what is known today as "Rock N Roll"

With the likes of Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino and many others.

"New Orleans is the birthplace of Rock N Roll!" B)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7830204.stm

Run DMC were the first rap act to achieve widespread mainstream success and the first to achieve a platinum album with 1986's Raising Hell.

Darryl "DMC" McDaniels called the group's induction "inconceivable".

"I'm a rap dude. I'm an MC just rocking the mic and to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the Beatles and [bob] Dylan and the rock 'n' roll gods? It's ridiculous. Ridiculous in a good way," he said.

Re-read my post, I said New Orleans and it can be traced. It was a mix of Memphis blues that migrated down the Mississippi to the cresent city and co-mingled with

Jazz, folk and country to become what is known today as "Rock N Roll"

With the likes of Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino and many others.

"New Orleans is the birthplace of Rock N Roll!" B)

I wasn't questioning your mention of New Orleans or Memphis. Re-read my post. I said "New York City". That said, there is no single "birthplace" of rock n' roll. The roots of rock n' roll can be traced to many different places, not just one.

I never heard of him. I assume he is Metallica's guitarist? Ill keep my left nut. By the way, I do know how to play the guitar. I don't care for their "music". They aren't fit to be mentioned in the same breath with great bands like Led Zeppelin.

What about their mellow songs like this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WkNStkOzZ6k

What about their mellow songs like this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WkNStkOzZ6k

...or not so mellow songs like this: Seek And Destroy :)

I'm no big fan of Metallica, but I have to say I really love their 80's albums like Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. They set the standard for Trash Metal.

Archived