The Inauguration of Pres. Barack Obama

Robert's Plant

That random spiel had a point? What, does he think liberals are godless atheists and detest any and all things religious? Because otherwise, I can't see any reason for him to say that "liberals" would have a problem with Obama swearing the oath of office on a Bible.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't care what Obama uses to take the oath of office. He could swear on a stack of Playboys for all I care, what matters is whether he actually follows what he's saying. And that has nothing to do with the choice of religious/nonreligious text his wife will be holding.

I laughed (and used my better judgement this time and didn't reply) to that stupid post. I don't read too many intelligent or decent posts from that fool, lol.

I bet you are excited about Tuesday!

There are a lot of things done in the Bush administration I haven't agree with, but since 9/11 he's kept the homeland secure. If he should be blamed for the mistakes (and he should) he should be given credit for that. It's not a small accomplishment.

Being a bit too long in the tooth and cynical to hold to much store with nonsense like '...the audacity of hope' or such phrases,I truly believe that the history books will be much kinder to President Bush than many believe at the moment.In my opinion he was a man not afraid to do what he thought was right.

There are a lot of things done in the Bush administration I haven't agree with, but since 9/11 he's kept the homeland secure. If he should be blamed for the mistakes (and he should) he should be given credit for that. It's not a small accomplishment.

I've felt less safe post 9/11 with him in office than I did with Reagan who I swore was going to get us into a Nuclear War. Just my perspective on things.

Being a bit too long in the tooth and cynical to hold to much store with nonsense like '...the audacity of hope' or such phrases,I truly believe that the history books will be much kinder to President Bush than many believe at the moment.In my opinion he was a man not afraid to do what he thought was right.

It's hard to say what the history books will show. Right now he's probably rated as the worst president we've ever had. Something I wouldn't disagree on.

I've felt less safe post 9/11 with him in office than I did with Reagan who I swore was going to get us into a Nuclear War. Just my perspective on things.

It's hard to say what the history books will show. Right now he's probably rated as the worst president we've ever had. Something I wouldn't disagree on.

Not being an American citizen,I can't comment on all the nuances of home policy undertaken by the Bush administration.The man's basic foreign policies I would generally agree with however.

Not being an American citizen,I can't comment on all the nuances of home policy undertaken by the Bush administration.The man's basic foreign policies I would generally agree with however.

I don't know if my feelings are shared by most - it's just how I've felt since 9/11. Some of my friends do feel the same way but again, whether that's a prevalent attitude I don't know.

I don't know if my feelings are shared by most - it's just how I've felt since 9/11. Some of my friends do feel the same way but again, whether that's a prevalent attitude I don't know.

Don't be too concerned,I don't think that anyone anywhere in the world has felt safe since 9/11.For me,on that date war was declared against civilisation by the forces of barbarism.America had to respond,and it did and I just feel that George Bush has been a good 'wartime' President.I do know that he was an easy figure to mock in the British media.His 'folksy', down to earth manner is easy meat to those that view anybody from a place like Texas as some sort of cowboy,but personally I thought he was a decent man.I hope that President Obama is the same.

9 Reasons to Attend Abraham Lincoln 2.0's Immaculate Inaugural Ball

1. Grammy Award-winners.

2. Keb' Mo' to Debut his New Song Written Especially for the Occasion.

3. Celebrate Good Times with JT Taylor - JT Taylor, former lead singer of the R&B/funk band Kool & the Gang

4. Exclusive After-Hours Art Tours

5. Check out the Obama "Hope" portrait in person.

6. Honor Lincoln Connections - According to WTOP News

7. Party with Lincoln(2.0) - Peruse the invitation, dance card, menu and gowns worn at Lincoln's second Inaugural Ball in the special exhibition

*****There will also be Lincoln look-alikes on hand for festive photo opps.****

obama-english.jpg

8. All-Inclusive Experience - While some other balls carry a hefty ticket price, along with a cash bar and few party snacks, the Lincoln 2.0 Ball features ample open bars, food stations and a stunning setting.

NOTE:......absolutely NO..“cold chicken salad and plain pound cake” will be served

9. Sample DC's Wine Country...Spring for a VIP ticket and you can add on a special Victorian Champagne Party.

I laughed (and used my better judgement this time and didn't reply) to that stupid post. I don't read too many intelligent or decent posts from that fool, lol.

I bet you are excited about Tuesday!

I'm very excited. I have to work that afternoon, but fortunately I'll be able to see the swearing-in and Inaugural address.

I was watching CNN and they were talking about all the happenings coming up Tuesday. They showed Obama at the Lincoln Memorial where alot of singers performed at the concert(to be shown on HBO tonight) and other celebs in attendance and showed him shaking hands and greeting all of them: Bono, John Legend, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, John Bon Jovi, Shakira, Queen Latifah, Ashley Judd, Marisa Tomei, Sheryl Crow, Jennifer Nettles........ they were all psyched meeting the new President!! I wish I could be there, that's for sure, but when I get home from work on Tuesday I will be glued to all of the news stations. :D

That random spiel had a point? What, does he think liberals are godless atheists and detest any and all things religious? Because otherwise, I can't see any reason for him to say that "liberals" would have a problem with Obama swearing the oath of office on a Bible.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't care what Obama uses to take the oath of office. He could swear on a stack of Playboys for all I care, what matters is whether he actually follows what he's saying. And that has nothing to do with the choice of religious/nonreligious text his wife will be holding.

The post was an obvious joke about lefties being less religious then righties. It wasn't supposed to be taken very seriously

The post was an obvious joke about lefties being less religious then righties. It wasn't supposed to be taken very seriously

Lefties are less religious than righties? What scholarly journal did that fun fact appear in? Most self-described "lefties" that I know are either Catholic or Episcopalian (Catholic-lite) and very religious. Not like hardcore Fundie religious, but they go more than twice a year.

I'm just curious how you arrived at the conclusion that his post was a joke when he's never made any attempt to couch his opinions as such......ever. I think he's dead serious about that and frankly, that's kinda scary, no?

Found out something I never really knew.....

The president-elect, by the Constitution, becomes the President, Officially at Noon on the 20th of January......

Regardless, if he, has taken the oath of office. Not that he would do this, but if Barack wanted to assume the Presidency at his digs in Hawaii, on the 20th, that would certainly happen at Noon, EST, whether he was inside the Beltway, or not !

It is a great thing, but what about the economy is all i gotta say. too much media coverage and way too happy, is what it seems from this tv.

"Too much media coverage and way too happy"

Oh yes, how dare the media do what they usually do and cover the inauguration of the next President. Why, it should be done in secret in underground caves. And the people being happy? Fuck their happiness, I say. Everyone should be dour and miserable and sulking and crying and pissed off. A happy American people is the first step toward tyrrany.

DOWN WITH JOY!! END SMILING!! DESTROY HAPPY!!

"Too much media coverage and way too happy"

Oh yes, how dare the media do what they usually do and cover the inauguration of the next President. Why, it should be done in secret in underground caves. And the people being happy? Fuck their happiness, I say. Everyone should be dour and miserable and sulking and crying and pissed off. A happy American people is the first step toward tyrrany.

DOWN WITH JOY!! END SMILING!! DESTROY HAPPY!!

Hey ok, be happy. i wasnt saying all that...

cheers, hope you know what i was saying about reality though.

The economy is in the shitter and is going to be in the shitter for a while. To escape endless news reports about how this Wall Street average is down or how this company needs a bailout or how this many people are now on unemployment.....this is a good thing. 24 hours, 7 days of week of having it drilled into our heads about how we're essentially broke gets old. A few days of talking about something positive and happy and dare I say HOPEFUL won't kill anyone.

On January 21st we can go back to shitting our pants over the economy.

The economy is in the shitter and is going to be in the shitter for a while. To escape endless news reports about how this Wall Street average is down or how this company needs a bailout or how this many people are now on unemployment.....this is a good thing. 24 hours, 7 days of week of having it drilled into our heads about how we're essentially broke gets old. A few days of talking about something positive and happy and dare I say HOPEFUL won't kill anyone.

On January 21st we can go back to shitting our pants over the economy.

yeah, i understand.

I honestly don't give a shit about the inauguration. I'm more interested in what he'll do after that.

Seriously, the media is more interested in what everyone will be wearing than what direction he will take our country in.

Of course what will follow the inauguration is more important but I think there's nothing wrong with being festive about the event. It's not only historic but comes at a time when our country is in such need of change and optimism - so why not start a new chapter this way?

Lefties are less religious than righties? What scholarly journal did that fun fact appear in? Most self-described "lefties" that I know are either Catholic or Episcopalian (Catholic-lite) and very religious. Not like hardcore Fundie religious, but they go more than twice a year.

I'm just curious how you arrived at the conclusion that his post was a joke when he's never made any attempt to couch his opinions as such......ever. I think he's dead serious about that and frankly, that's kinda scary, no?

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. The usual stereotype is that conservatives are more religious then liberals is it not?

Archived