The Inauguration of Pres. Barack Obama

Robert's Plant

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. The usual stereotype is that conservatives are more religious then liberals is it not?

I don't know about that. There are stereotypes about the right and religion, but I don't think they have anything to do with the right being more religious in toto.

To talk about what can be done is one thing. To accomplish it is another. I hope this Obama of yours comes through. But, lets face it, he is limited to what he can do. The president has only so much power. His veto power is one thing, the ability to really change things cant come from one man. It is a tough task ahead. The job market sucks. Big time. Is it worth going into thousands of dollars of debt in college loans as the tap federal loans arent worth shit compared to the 70's, and gamble to whether a job will be available? I think it is too much of a gamble if you have to borrow 5 digits. I have an AS degree and have just about 3 yrs of college. I could go get my BS or BA in less than a year. But for what? To get turned down for jobs constantly. Location of course makes a differance. NY sucks. I have heard that Arizona and Nevada are good places to tackle a job? But who knows? :unsure:

Yes accomplishing it is the key. It's going to take a long time to dig our country out of the mess it's in currently. No easy task for anyone but I need to be optimistic and believe that over time, things will improve again. We just need to be patient and I know in this economy, that's not so easy. I saw some news item that said New York is one of the worst hit states job loss wise and is going to get worse before it gets better :( I've heard Nevada is one of the better places job wise.

The world will again love America, and Americans.

i can attest it's already happening!!!!...people are coming up and saying such nice things when they see my obama pin...such a nice change from all the times i have been yelled at over the past 2 1/2 years...

Stock market speculators would probably stimulate the economy. The problem is there are not enough of them buying stocks and the market has not recovered. There was a rally shortly after New Year's Day but that did not bring the market above the 10,000 level. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is still crawling along at a snail's pace and continues to hover between 8,000-9,000, indicating a continuing recession.

As an Obama supporter I'm not crazy about all the money being spent on this thing. The country is in the ditch, homeless people are still sleeping outside, unemployment is climbing and millions are being spent on a party. Mr. CHANGE could have toned it down a bit, it sure would have been a sign he is serious about making his mark out of the gate. No doubt it's a historic day but we could have honored that on the cheap.

As an Obama supporter I'm not crazy about all the money being spent on this thing. The country is in the ditch, homeless people are still sleeping outside, unemployment is climbing and millions are being spent on a party. Mr. CHANGE could have toned it down a bit, it sure would have been a sign he is serious about making his mark out of the gate. No doubt it's a historic day but we could have honored that on the cheap.

HE can't do anything about it, nor can anyone. It's a vicious grip that's captured all of us, and sad to say, the beast of tradition will probably never change. In times of trouble, people want an escape even when they're actually gripped and locked into it without knowing that.

It's on in the background here, and I'm somewhat intrigued but yeah, it's so outlandish in so many respects. But views as ours are often seen as dis-respectful, because we're going against the accepted standard.

HE can't do anything about it, nor can anyone. It's a vicious grip that's captured all of us, and sad to say, the beast of tradition will probably never change. In times of trouble, people want an escape even when they're actually gripped and locked into it without knowing that.

It's on in the background here, and I'm somewhat intrigued but yeah, it's so outlandish in so many respects. But views as ours are often seen as dis-respectful, because we're going against the accepted standard.

He certainly could have spoken up and said it would be better to not have an excessive and extravagant ball. The actual inauguration is a given.

he is not my president, and never will be

* not a republican, an extreme liberal *

Pres. Bush whole presidency was screwed by the cocksuckers whom did not vote for him.

Lets not go down that path. We are better than those people.

Pres. Bush is gone from Office. If the hatred for Pres. Bush continues, than Pres. Obamas time is already a failure.

If Iraq fails, Obama is gone. If the economy doesn't bounce back, Obama is gone. If he fails to recognize the threats we have on this country and we are attack, Obama is gone.

I do not wish Obama to be gone.

He certainly could have spoken up and said it would be better to not have an excessive and extravagant ball. The actual inauguration is a given.

Oh yeah, it sure is and that's no problem. One thing I'm grateful for is it seems like they have a good sound system. Did you hear Aretha belting out The National Anthem ?

I wonder if she's gonna serve up 4 fried chicken's and burnt toast for Jake this afternoon in the Chicago blues district ?

Think !

Think (think) think (think) think (think)

think (think) think (think) think (think)

You better think (think) think about what you're trying to do to me

Yeah, think (think, think), let your mind go, let yourself be free

Let's go back, let's go back, let's go way on back when

I didn't even know you, you came to me and too much you wouldn't take

I ain't no psychiatrist, I ain't no doctor with degree

It don't take too much high IQ's to see what you're doing to me

Oh freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, yeah freedom

Freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, ooh freedom

There ain't nothing you could ask I could answer you but I won't (I won't)

I was gonna change, but I'm not, to keep doing things I don't

People walking around everyday, playing games that they can score

And I ain't gonna be the loser my way, ah, be careful you don't lose yours

You need me (need me) and I need you (don't you know)

Without eachother there ain't nothing people can do

Oh freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, yeah freedom

Freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, ooh freedom

There ain't nothing you could ask I could answer you but I won't (I won't)

I was gonna change, but I'm not, if you're doing things I don't

You need me (need me) and I need you (don't you know)

Without eachother there ain't nothing people can do

(To the bone for deepness, to the bone for deepness, to the bone for deepness, think about it)

(To the bone for deepness, to the bone for deepness, to the bone for deepness, think about it)

You had better stop and think before you think, think!!

Did anyone notice how within Barack's speech he said "When the Levee Breaks" and soon after "Stairway (to rise)<something like that.

Pretty cool.

I don't remember what he said exactly, but he did say something Zeppelinish for sure.

Oh, and Aretha Franklin was absolutely amazing!

Did anyone notice how within Barack's speech he said "When the Levee Breaks" and soon after "Stairway"

(to rise)<something like that.

Pretty cool.

I doubt he was making any referances to Led Zeppelin. He probably likes KC and the Sunshine band? Or AWB? Shake shake shake. Shake your booty! Get down tonight!

I wouldnt want that job for all the whiskey in Ireland. I do wish the man luck. Its a tough time to have to take over. I wonder what old George will do first? Maybe a little quail hunting with Cheney?

I don't remember what he said exactly, but he did say something Zeppelinish for sure.

Oh, and Aretha Franklin was absolutely amazing!

Here's the exact text from the speech, pretty close to the end,

For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

:D

I also want to point out in this same text, friend was mentioned. Add the 'S', and there's another Zep reference.

VOILA !!! Booyah !!!!

Did anyone notice how within Barack's speech he said "When the Levee Breaks" and soon after "Stairway (to rise)<something like that.

Pretty cool.

For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

I'm thinking it was an allusion to Katrina...and 9/11...

...not really to anything Zeppelin.

Full text of President Obama's Inaugural Speech...CNN.com

Edited to say: I guess punksandwich beat me to it. LOL

Archived