JIMMY CONSIDERING ROCK HALL OF FAME EVENT

SteveAJones

Since when did Jimmy become a rhythm guitarist? lol. Not a single solo from him last night! But I think it's because he wanted his friend to have the spotlight.

I think the other guitarists were slightly surprised that he didn't go into a solo when Joe gave him a sign. But still it's good to see Jeff take over the part.

Anyway, the two jams were cool but not really something for people to judge his playing ability.

Thanks for the clip. Shame Jimmy didn't let rip with a solo. Joe Perry even gives him the signal to take it away but he doesn't.

THAT'S THE POINT..... The guitarists were all "saying" crunch out some riffs.....

But Jimmy didn't..... because......

Because he's shit sometimes, when people are depending on him.....

Joe Perry came through when it was time for him to riff.....

I simply DO NOT buy all this Bull about Jimmy being the consumate gentleman,as to why he didn't lay out a few riffs....

Why did he even bother to strap on a guitar....

I guess that's why Jimmy hasn't ever appeared at any of Eric Clapton's guitar events....

"Jimmy's such a gentleman.... why he wouldn't want to show anybody up . . . "

Why, that's a load of crap ! ! ! ! !

Jimmy IS a Gentleman, AND he should be willing to show the world what he's got, in front of the fans.

I say this for Jimbo.... Don't even bother strapping ona guitar.... if you don't plan on laying down some riffs. Period.

I say SHIT, or get off the Pot!

---------------------------------------------

With that said......

It's all OK with me, and, yes, I will have a nice day, and I hope Jimmy does the same !

I thought it was a great show, and wonderful to see Jimmy so happy and into it, but yes I think there may have been a technical glitch with his strap or something at the jam part... I was watching on TV and when the roadie or whoever came up behind Jimmy I was like, "who is this guy and what is he doing??" And it was very shortly after that that the other players kind of looked at Jimmy to see if he was going to solo or not. Would've been nice :D but all in all, a fantastic show, fantastic music, and fantastic tribute!! And I LOVED when Jimmy & Jeff played together :):D

THAT'S THE POINT..... The guitarists were all "saying" crunch out some riffs.....

I simply DO NOT buy all this Bull about Jimmy being the consumate gentleman,as to why he didn't lay out a few riffs....

I guess that's why Jimmy hasn't ever appeared at any of Eric Clapton's guitar events....

Jimmy IS a Gentleman, AND he should be willing to show the world what he's got, in front of the fans.

I say this for Jimbo.... Don't even bother strapping ona guitar.... if you don't plan on laying down some riffs. Period.

With that said......

It's all OK with me, and, yes, I will have a nice day, and I hope Jimmy does the same !

Wow, what a gross overreaction. I guess you were saying the same thing when he let Neil Young walk all over WTLB when Zep got inducted. Fact is Jimmy has never really relished those "all star jam" situations.

So what, he needed an over the top solo at his buddy's induction in order to prove that he still has the right to step on a stage???

What a great night- Jimmy looked fantastic & he was so genuinely happy for Jeff getting the honor,as you can see by the pics that Steve A Jones posted earlier in this thread. Loved Bolero & was pleasantly surprised by Immigrant Song. Jeff is an amazing guitarist & I'm glad that the RRHOF finally recognized that (considering that Truth came out in 1968 it was long overdue!).

Congrats to Jeff on his night! :cheer:

Wow, what a gross overreaction. I guess you were saying the same thing when he let Neil Young walk all over WTLB when Zep got inducted. Fact is Jimmy has never really relished those "all star jam" situations.

So what, he needed an over the top solo at his buddy's induction in order to prove that he still has the right to step on a stage???

I think the condition of Jimmy's fingers after he tried to jump the airport fence in 73 has been less than perfect. Robert Plant brings this up in a 1996 Aussie interview ( I labeled a thread TOO Bright and it has a youtube interview clip, the full interview contains Robert reference)Jimmy's mind is still there and he is capable of making great musical decisions in real time, but not if there is a more intact guitar player on stage.. and Beck is a control freak of musical notes. He seems to put a modulation at the end of every note decay.. on Truth he let them ring and fade away. Jimmy cannot play virtuoso vs virtuoso anymore. Robert got tired of waiting for him to do something at the last H.O.F, so he strapped on a guitar (and sounded pretty rockin). When else have you seen that? If Jeff is willing to spend some time on Jimmy and Jimmy is up for it, they could have a more meaningful union playing wise. I believe I saw a confirmation for another Jeff Beck gig in Cleveland in a couple of weeks. Is this something to hope for?

HOF 2009 Bolero/Immigrant S

I think the condition of Jimmy's fingers after he tried to jump the airport fence in 73 has been less than perfect. Robert Plant brings this up in a 1996 Aussie interview ( I labeled a thread TOO Bright and it has a youtube interview clip, the full interview contains Robert reference)Jimmy's mind is still there and he is capable of making great musical decisions in real time, but not if there is a more intact guitar player on stage.. and Beck is a control freak of musical notes. He seems to put a modulation at the end of every note decay.. on Truth he let them ring and fade away. Jimmy cannot play virtuoso vs virtuoso anymore. Robert got tired of waiting for him to do something at the last H.O.F, so he strapped on a guitar (and sounded pretty rockin). When else have you seen that? If Jeff is willing to spend some time on Jimmy and Jimmy is up for it, they could have a more meaningful union playing wise. I believe I saw a confirmation for another Jeff Beck gig in Cleveland in a couple of weeks. Is this something to hope for?

HOF 2009 Bolero/Immigrant S

I thought Robert's reference to Jimmy's finger was joke-ish? :blink:

And in another thread I've posted something about Jeff keeping asking Jimmy to do something together but Jimmy keeping balking. They would have already done soemthing if Jimmy was willing, though I hope too there would be more chances to see Jimmy play.

I thought Robert's reference to Jimmy's finger was joke-ish? :blink:

And in another thread I've posted something about Jeff keeping asking Jimmy to do something together but Jimmy keeping balking. They would have already done something if Jimmy was willing, though I hope too there would be more chances to see Jimmy play.

Bonham refers to Jimmy's playing as "mint" shortly before LZ IVs release.

Jimmy incurs 2 injuries in between 1973 and 1975 live recordings, making it hard to say which did the most damage. His playing is never "mint" again. Robert may have been joking but he wouldn't dare bring such a thing up with an American audience. I detected a bit of snark, perhaps to counter the threat of Page being in a bad mood all interview or all night.

I don't meant to nit pick this to death, but the critics have their point, even if it could be put across with less rage.. All in all The 2009 RnR HOF induction was a celebration of the tradition of music and how, for a night, we can shed the labels and the racial ID and just groove.

Can't we all just be happy that Jimmy Page was on stage happy and healthy performing old classics with his good friend Jeff Beck?

Or must we over analyze his performance to death? It's getting pretty ridiculous. :slapface:

I thought it was a great show, and wonderful to see Jimmy so happy and into it, but yes I think there may have been a technical glitch with his strap or something at the jam part... I was watching on TV and when the roadie or whoever came up behind Jimmy I was like, "who is this guy and what is he doing??" And it was very shortly after that that the other players kind of looked at Jimmy to see if he was going to solo or not. Would've been nice :D but all in all, a fantastic show, fantastic music, and fantastic tribute!! And I LOVED when Jimmy & Jeff played together :):D

totally i believe it was a technical issue with the strap slipping away shortly before Jimmy was to take a solo. guess it had been planned to extend the song and maybe the 2 Js wanted to duel or do the dual guitar thing (Jeff´s solo seemed cut short a bit by Hetfield).

looks like jimmy decided against it as the guitar was not as intact as it should have been.

as a pro, u dont do things that dont work live on TV.

or was it his roadie whispering:

"dont bother to take a solo, jim- the sound techs screwed up your channel anyway!"

in his ear while checking the strap?

Beck's Bolero / Immigrant song was pure fun, interesting to see Beck playing TWO Page compositions on his own induction night (or what do i know who really wrote Bolero).

Jimmy played a single 12 string, was that a conscious decision against soloing?

too bad you dont really hear him strumming in the background, but of course Jeff is great.

Anyway, i really love the color dress code that these two guys followed for the speech,

they looked like Yin & Yang twins. What a great stage outfit for an upcoming JP&JB tour this could be!

thank you to all who posted links to this!

With that said......

Very good points made mate! I just hope it wasn't "other" factors that led to his subdued playing on the night. If so, very sad...

Can't we all just be happy that Jimmy Page was on stage happy and healthy performing old classics with his good friend Jeff Beck?

Or must we over analyze his performance to death? It's getting pretty ridiculous. :slapface:

Here's the sad thing... this was just two songs at the R&RHOF... imagine if Jimmy undertook an entire tour with/as Led Zeppelin? Kind of get the feeling it's for the best that Robert has Alison now...

Here's the sad thing... this was just two songs at the R&RHOF... imagine if Jimmy undertook an entire tour with/as Led Zeppelin? Kind of get the feeling it's for the best that Robert has Alison now...

Oh please, don't get Robert and Alison into this thread again, I'm afraid of... you know.

I can. I'm happy he was up there smiling with a guitar in his hand celebrating the induction of his good mate :D

I blame Robert for Jimmy not taking a solo. :mellow:

Just want to be on record. :huh:

:angry:

:P

:D

Well, as someone who lives in Britain and didn't even know of the induction 'til this website notified it, I was very happy to see what I could. So, to the people who posted the clips - thank you very much.

He didn't play a solo - so what? Personally, I think he got a little thrown when his strap broke. To me - even though he's still playing - he actually looks a little out of sync with the rest of them. I know it's getting tedious throwing the age card again, but can any of you do anything faster/better than you could 20 years previously? And him and Jeff first blitzed this song 40 years ago. My fingers get cramp just from typing (and I'm 23), I don't want to think about how his would feel after a lifetime of guitar playing. Some of you must've been dropped on your head if you think age doesn't affect anything.

Shit, introducing Jeff was more than enough - just seeing him healthy and happy was all I needed to see. Seeing him perform, even if he wasn't the main man, was even better. A solo would've been nice, but, at the end of the day, he probably would've done it if his strap had gone tits up on him.

With that said......

Is this all that goes on here? you guys pick apart every word and personal performance they do? I don't see any of you selling millions of records or asked to jam with legends or recieving awards for your stellar work. Your not fans your envious wankers thats all! Grow up and do something with your life! What a bunch of verbal diarehea on this site! Let us know when your inducted or asked to play with a living legend. You will all be sorry when these guys pass on and I hope you choke on your words! or maybe your on the wrong site this is a Led Zeppelin site or so I thought?

If you are a fan of Jimmy there has to be some part of you that wanted him to rip into a solo during the jam session. There is nothing wrong with expressing that, and if you think it's not right, that's your opinion, and we all know what those are like, don't we?

Well, as someone who lives in Britain and didn't even know of the induction 'til this website notified it, I was very happy to see what I could. So, to the people who posted the clips - thank you very much.

He didn't play a solo - so what? Personally, I think he got a little thrown when his strap broke. To me - even though he's still playing - he actually looks a little out of sync with the rest of them. I know it's getting tedious throwing the age card again, but can any of you do anything faster/better than you could 20 years previously? And him and Jeff first blitzed this song 40 years ago. My fingers get cramp just from typing (and I'm 23), I don't want to think about how his would feel after a lifetime of guitar playing. Some of you must've been dropped on your head if you think age doesn't affect anything.

Shit, introducing Jeff was more than enough - just seeing him healthy and happy was all I needed to see. Seeing him perform, even if he wasn't the main man, was even better. A solo would've been nice, but, at the end of the day, he probably would've done it if his strap had gone tits up on him.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

1. It wasn't his night.

2. Something clearly happened with his guitar or strap.

3. If he never wanted to share the stage with other guitarists in his prime, why would he do it now? That was never his style.

I would like some input from those who saw the O2 concert. Was his performance subpar then?

I think Jimmy was about to take a solo on the finale jam, when Lars Ulrich ended the song too early on drums. It's right there Jimmy was gonna throw some licks down. But then again, when there's like 7 guitarists on stage, shit gets confusing. But Kirk Hammett, nothing against him he's a cool dude, takes a lead when Jimmy f'in Page, the master, is standing right there, it stings a little. I'm also disappointed Jimmy didn't take a lead, but I think he laid back and let others take the spotlight. He knows what he's doing, they all know he's the senior professor. Actually there was more Page in general on the show than I expected so I still really freaked when he broke into Immigrant Song on the actual 12-string he recorded Stairway with, with Beck doing the vocal line spot on with his guitar instead of a voice. THAT was damn cool and worth the wait!!! When Page and Beck get together, people are just in awe at the amounts of pure talent these 2 have. Page is a f'in mystery, that's what I love about him. The man single-handedly created rock and roll as we know it. Beck ain't too shabby either, not the prolific songwriter like Page, but he's an improv monster without a pick nonetheless, a badass, but what kinda queer-ass outfit was Beck wearing, he looked like Liberace with a Strat.

Another thing is that a guitarist like Page who dances around a lot, plays his guitar at different angles etc. is more prone to be affected by age than an Eric Clapton who "just" stands there. Can you imagine Hendrix at this age? I think Jimmy is feeling a bit uncomfortable because he's probably used to play in a way his body might not allow him anymore.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

1. It wasn't his night.

2. Something clearly happened with his guitar or strap.

3. If he never wanted to share the stage with other guitarists in his prime, why would he do it now? That was never his style.

I would like some input from those who saw the O2 concert. Was his performance subpar then?

No it wasn't! And thanks for posting the link, Janet, I'd have missed the whole thing otherwise.

It was a wonderful night, and the affection between Jimmy and Jeff was obvious that they are much closer then either would ever admit. On the subject at hand, I don't think some are understanding the frustration on some of us who wanted Jimmy to play a solo. There was nothing to prove ok? I am not upset he did not win a pissing contest, you are missing the point. I just wanted to see him play like everyone else did. People in the building, on the stage, and watching at home. Yes, even if it was a 20 second solo. For whatever reason it did not happen. You can't always get what you want huh? :D

There is always next year. Maybe.

Archived