JIMMY CONSIDERING ROCK HALL OF FAME EVENT

SteveAJones

It was so good to hear what I did hear that I'm not bothered by him not soloing. It would have been nice, but not needed. Just to see his smiling face again...

Just watching him in the audience, his speech and with Jeff was perfect for me.

It was a wonderful night, and the affection between Jimmy and Jeff was obvious that they are much closer then either would ever admit. On the subject at hand, I don't think some are understanding the frustration on some of us who wanted Jimmy to play a solo. There was nothing to prove ok? I am not upset he did not win a pissing contest, you are missing the point. I just wanted to see him play like everyone else did. People in the building, on the stage, and watching at home. Yes, even if it was a 20 second solo. For whatever reason it did not happen. You can't always get what you want huh? :D

There is always next year. Maybe.

No, I don't think the frustration is lost on anyone who expected more. But, some of us have expressed our disappointment a little more eloquently than others. And, the rest of us are just appreciative of what we did get.

At the end of the day it wasn't Jimmy's night, it was Jeff's. As they've both said, they've known each other since they were 13 - rivalry isn't lost on them. Maybe Jimmy just wanted appreciate their friendship and didn't want to hog the limelight? I suspect he had rehearsed a solo, given that they looked at him, but I still reckon it was his strap that threw him.

Can't we all just be happy that Jimmy Page was on stage happy and healthy performing old classics with his good friend Jeff Beck?

Or must we over analyze his performance to death? It's getting pretty ridiculous. :slapface:

Amen! I was just happy to see Jimmy having a great time jamming with his friends. :D

No, I don't think the frustration is lost on anyone who expected more. But, some of us have expressed our disappointment a little more eloquently than others. And, the rest of us are just appreciative of what we did get.

At the end of the day it wasn't Jimmy's night, it was Jeff's. As they've both said, they've known each other since they were 13 - rivalry isn't lost on them. Maybe Jimmy just wanted appreciate their friendship and didn't want to hog the limelight? I suspect he had rehearsed a solo, given that they looked at him, but I still reckon it was his strap that threw him.

What part of my explanation said it was Jimmy's night? It was a jam session, not a Jeff session. What is it exactly you are saying here that has not been expressed at nauseum? You missed the point I am making entirely. I am not going to continue trying to get it across if the only answer is, it was not his night. No shit, really? BTW, they have known each other since 11. Jeff corrected Jimmy, eloquently...Without giving him the finger.

What part of my explanation said it was Jimmy's night? It was a jam session, not a Jeff session. What is it exactly you are saying here that has not been expressed at nauseum? You missed the point I am making entirely. I am not going to continue trying to get it across if the only answer is, it was not his night. No shit, really? BTW, they have known each other since 11. Jeff corrected Jimmy, eloquently...Without giving him the finger.

What part of the latter half of my post indicated I was answering to your quote? I didn't miss the point you were making - I just didn't answer it, either. I responded to your frustration comment. Hence the highlight of it.

I made my own comment about the speculation that people have expressed, so there's no need to get all arsey just because you took the rest of my post as a direct reply to yours.

I'm in the UK, so I haven't seen anything other than the two clips provided. Bare that in mind before you start going on at people who weren't live-streaming it, or whatever. There. That was said eloquently, as well - and I didn't have to give you the middle finger, either.

Can't we all just be happy that Jimmy Page was on stage happy and healthy performing old classics with his good friend Jeff Beck?

Or must we over analyze his performance to death? It's getting pretty ridiculous. :slapface:

AMEN AND THANK YOU!!!

I was out so I missed Jimmy's induction speech but I got home in time to watch him perform with Beck and he looked and sounded great to me. He seemed so happy to be there for a friend!

Unfortunately I tanked out and missed the jam so thanks to those who posted youtube links. The jam was wonderful....very rare that you would ever see all that talent on one stage so I'd say sit back, enjoy and stop nitpicking!!! :D ...

What part of the latter half of my post indicated I was answering to your quote? I didn't miss the point you were making - I just didn't answer it, either. I responded to your frustration comment. Hence the highlight of it.

I made my own comment about the speculation that people have expressed, so there's no need to get all arsey just because you took the rest of my post as a direct reply to yours.

I'm in the UK, so I haven't seen anything other than the two clips provided. Bare that in mind before you start going on at people who weren't live-streaming it, or whatever. There. That was said eloquently, as well - and I didn't have to give you the middle finger, either.

LOL...Well you did respond to quoting me so... :D

No hard feelings. I am bit pissy is all over this whole thing yeah. Mostly because of people making excuses as to why he didn't. Fact is he didn't. Nothing is going to change it. In the end it's not that big of a deal. Forgive my abruptness.

Peace my friend. :beer:

Holy cow. This is absurd, bickering like small children. Y'all need to cool it. I don't wanna have to pull this forum over and come back there..........

:black_eye:

LOL...Well you did respond to quoting me so... :D

No hard feelings. I am bit pissy is all over this whole thing yeah. Mostly because of people making excuses as to why he didn't. Fact is he didn't. Nothing is going to change it. In the end it's not that big of a deal. Forgive my abruptness.

Peace my friend. :beer:

No hard feelings. I think most of us were disappointed that he didn't do a solo, but I'm happy with what we got.

:)

No hard feelings. I think most of us were disappointed that he didn't do a solo, but I'm happy with what we got.

:)

I'm waiting for someone to post his actual speech. He was so adorable!

Someone has posted his speech, but it's audio only, which is annoying.

linkage

Be nice if we could see him introducing Jeff.

Oh but you must see him! Fuse's site is planning to put up more from the show. I hope this is one of them. I want to watch him again. I was able screen cap 3, that I put with the pictures last night.

jimmyrrhof1.jpg

jimmyrrhof2.jpg

jimmyjeff09.jpg

Looks like Jimmy was about to solo in TKAR but something happened with his guitar to prevent that. He didn't need to solo for the Beck induction really because that was for Jeff Beck. I don't understand all the bickering about it, it's good to see Jimmy play.

Are you kidding me? Did you watch that piece with Beck's Bolero? He came close to jumping right out of his skin a couple of times!!

I feel younger than I did 20 years ago. Age is a number that only 'locks" you into preconcieved ideas about what you can or can't do at a specific age if you allow those beliefs to control you.

Actually, I didn't. I did see the Train Kept A Rollin and he seemed a bit uncomfortable to me. Maybe something threw him off, or he just doesn't like sharing the stage with so many guitarists? :)

And my previous post was kind of off topic since I didn't write it with this particular performance in mind. I just got this funny image of Hendrix playing with his teeth and behind his back at age 50. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just thought it would be hilarious in a good way.

I don't feel it's lowered expectations... this wasn't Jimmy's night. It was Jeff Beck's. And RUN DMC's. And Metallica's. And all the others inducted. Jimmy proved yet again he is the consummate professional... perfectly capable of playing the role of sideman to honour those who were being inducted.

WELL SAID!! :)

Sharon

Just watching him in the audience, his speech and with Jeff was perfect for me.

And for me, too!!!!!!!!! :) I was just so damn excited to see JP live in any capacity, I about keeled over! LOL!!! :D

Sharon

Some thoughts about the festivities:

- Page looked genuinely pleased to be there, and Jeff was honoured to be inducted by him; their mutual affection is undeniable.

- My first thought during the performances was, hey what's Jimmy doing on the wrong side of the stage? :D

- The 'Train' jam-a-thon felt as if had an abrupt ending; it didn't seem as if all went as planned, still, it was pretty enjoyable even with Page taking more of a back seat than I (and everyone here too, it seems) would have liked

- It surprised me how many of the inductee speeches included direct thanks to the money handlers, but then again, given the disasters that have occurred, it makes you appreciate how many facets of a career have to be in sync in order to have such longevity. Leonard Cohen, whose manager swindled him of all but about $150,000 of his $5M lifetime savings, could have given a much different speech last year, but he's far too gracious. I guess the bad part about going up a mountain to become a Buddhist monk is that your manager can bleed you dry; the good part about it is you've developed the inner fortitude to handle it. Now he's back on the road :notworthy:

Congratulations to Jeff Beck and all the other inductees. So many things had to go right and so many things had to be overcome for such great, lasting music to be created.

I think Jimmy was about to take a solo on the finale jam, when Lars Ulrich ended the song too early on drums. It's right there Jimmy was gonna throw some licks down. But then again, when there's like 7 guitarists on stage, shit gets confusing. But Kirk Hammett, nothing against him he's a cool dude, takes a lead when Jimmy f'in Page, the master, is standing right there, it stings a little.

They rehearsed Train Kept A' Rollin' the day before so Kirk was supposed to take a solo.

I'm also disappointed Jimmy didn't take a lead, but I think he laid back and let others take the spotlight. He knows what he's doing, they all know he's the senior professor. Actually there was more Page in general on the show than I expected so I still really freaked when he broke into Immigrant Song on the actual 12-string he recorded Stairway with, with Beck doing the vocal line spot on with his guitar instead of a voice. THAT was damn cool and worth the wait!!! When Page and Beck get together, people are just in awe at the amounts of pure talent these 2 have. Page is a f'in mystery, that's what I love about him. The man single-handedly created rock and roll as we know it.

Jimmy Page "single-handedly created rock n' roll as we know it"? That's news to me. Who's gonna break the news to Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard?

Beck ain't too shabby either, not the prolific songwriter like Page, but he's an improv monster without a pick nonetheless, a badass, but what kinda queer-ass outfit was Beck wearing, he looked like Liberace with a Strat.

I wouldn't exactly call Page "prolific", his recorded output since the demise of Led Zeppelin has been miniscule at best. As for what Beck was wearing, who gives a fuck? It's his playing I tuned in for, not his fashion sense.

Um, that's what we DO here isn't it? :beat:

This should be a hot topic for at least another week! :D

Yeah, I like the speculation already. I noticed that Jeff was in Cleveland in a couple weeks too and wondered...could Jimmy? Would Jimmy? I wonder how long he'll stay in the States....

Yeah, I like the speculation already. I noticed that Jeff was in Cleveland in a couple weeks too and wondered...could Jimmy? Would Jimmy? I wonder how long he'll stay in the States....

This is from Jeff's website:

4th April Cleveland Induction into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

6th April Scranton Scranton Cultural Center

8th April Philadelphia Electric Factory

9th April New York The Fillimore NY @ Irving Plaza

10th April New York The Fillimore NY @ Irving Plaza

11th April Mashantucket MGM Grand Theatre at Foxwoods

13th April Boston House of Blues, Boston

15th April Cleveland House of Blues, Cleveland

According to Ross, he flew back with Jimmy to New York right after the ceromeny. It's interesting to see his take. He might say what Jimmy's plans are. We'll see what he adds this week.

http://rosshalfin.com/diary/april-2009/diary-april-2009.php

I think Jimmy was about to take a solo on the finale jam, when Lars Ulrich ended the song too early on drums. It's right there Jimmy was gonna throw some licks down. But then again, when there's like 7 guitarists on stage, shit gets confusing. But Kirk Hammett, nothing against him he's a cool dude, takes a lead when Jimmy f'in Page, the master, is standing right there, it stings a little. I'm also disappointed Jimmy didn't take a lead, but I think he laid back and let others take the spotlight. He knows what he's doing, they all know he's the senior professor. Actually there was more Page in general on the show than I expected so I still really freaked when he broke into Immigrant Song on the actual 12-string he recorded Stairway with, with Beck doing the vocal line spot on with his guitar instead of a voice. THAT was damn cool and worth the wait!!! When Page and Beck get together, people are just in awe at the amounts of pure talent these 2 have. Page is a f'in mystery, that's what I love about him. The man single-handedly created rock and roll as we know it. Beck ain't too shabby either, not the prolific songwriter like Page, but he's an improv monster without a pick nonetheless, a badass, but what kinda queer-ass outfit was Beck wearing, he looked like Liberace with a Strat.

:lol: I know...was he wearing Uggs?! Ugh!!

Hmmm?

Jeff can wear whatever he wants to and he is cool.

Of course he can and is! And I can laugh at his choices if I think they are a little funny. :)

I'm also giggling that Ross wore a dotted scarf mimicking Jimmy's style. And of course, loved Fleas blue hair but it still makes me laugh. I don't laugh for critisism, I laugh for fun.

Of course he can and is! And I can laugh at his choices if I think they are a little funny. :)

I'm also giggling that Ross wore a dotted scarf mimicking Jimmy's style. And of course, loved Fleas blue hair but it still makes me laugh. I don't laugh for critisism, I laugh for fun.

I'm not "hmm" at you, sorry. It's more to the original comment of "queer-ass outfit".

Archived