Attention all ebay shoppers

lzfan715

Ebay has gone all paypal. I don't have a paypal account because Dad doesn't like his credit card numbers on the internet. So if you use money orders you are out of luck just like me. If you have paypal this doesn't really affect you.

Janis, Your dad is needlessly worried about internet fraud. Of course it's a concern. First of all, he can just as easily get ripped off by the clerk in any department store, gas station or other establishment where he hands over his card. Tell him a secure website begins with "https". Tell him, not to click on links in emails sent to him. Instead, go directly to the establishments website and follow the links for shopping and checking out. Simple common sense will keep your dad out of trouble and you enjoying the fruits of his labor.

edit to add: all the confidential data is encrypted.

Ebay has gone all paypal. I don't have a paypal account because Dad doesn't like his credit card numbers on the internet. So if you use money orders you are out of luck just like me. If you have paypal this doesn't really affect you.

You can link a checking account to paypal and still use it without a credit card if you are just a buyer.

If you sell on ebay that's a whole different monkey.

Janis, Your dad is needlessly worried about internet fraud. Of course it's a concern. First of all, he can just as easily get ripped off by the clerk in any department store, gas station or other establishment where he hands over his card. Tell him a secure website begins with "https". Tell him, not to click on links in emails sent to him. Instead, go directly to the establishments website and follow the links for shopping and checking out. Simple common sense will keep your dad out of trouble and you enjoying the fruits of his labor.

edit to add: all the confidential data is encrypted.

First of all, my name isn't Janis and neither is my screen name, it's lzfan715. He has plenty of common sense, and I understand why he is worried. It can happen and it does.

You can link a checking account to paypal and still use it without a credit card if you are just a buyer.

If you sell on ebay that's a whole different monkey.

We don't sell anything on ebay. I keep all my music stuff which is all we buy on there.

I wasn't complaining. I was just telling people who use ebay about. The part about my not having a paypal account was just small talk. Not complaining or whining it doesn't matter. If you think that I was whining and it bothered you then please take you insults and elsewhere because you didn't even have to open this thread.

I am just trying to help people overcome their fears. I'm sorry I tried to help you.

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is a combination of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol and a network security protocol.

Both HTTP and the security protocol operate at the highest layer of the TCP/IP Internet reference model, the Application layer; but the security protocol operates at lower sublayer, encrypting an HTTP message prior to transmission and decrypting a message upon arrival.

HTTPS has also been known as "Hypertext Transfer Protocol over Secure Socket Layer", but now HTTPS may be secured by the Transport Layer Security (TLS) instead of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.

To invoke HTTPS, one replaces "http://" with "https://" in the URI, or Web address.

HTTPS connections are often used for payment transactions on the Web and for sensitive transactions in corporate information systems.

For more details on this topic, see Transport Layer Security#How it works.

Strictly speaking, HTTPS is a separate protocol, but refers to the combination of a normal HTTP interaction over an encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) connection. This ensures reasonable protection from eavesdroppers and man-in-the-middle attacks, provided that adequate cipher suites are used and that the server certificate is verified and trusted.

An https: URL may specify a TCP port. If it does not, the connection uses port 443 (unsecured HTTP typically uses port 80).

To prepare a Web server to accept HTTPS connections, the administrator must create a public-key certificate for the Web server. These certificates can be created for Unix-based servers with tools such as OpenSSL's ssl-ca [1] or SuSE's gensslcert. This certificate must be signed by a certificate authority of one kind or another. The authority certifies that the certificate holder is indeed the entity it claims to be. Web browsers are generally distributed with the signing certificates of major certificate authorities so that they can verify certificates signed by them.

Organizations may also run their own certificate authority, particularly if they are responsible for setting up browsers to access their own sites (for example, sites on a company intranet). They can easily add copies of their own signing certificate to those shipped with the browser.

Some sites, especially those operated by hobbyists, use self-signed certificates on public sites. Using such certificates provides protection against simple eavesdropping, but the prevention of man-in-the-middle attacks entails the use of some other secure method of verifying the certificate.

The system can also be used for client authentication in order to limit access to a Web server to authorized users. To do this, the site administrator typically creates a certificate for each user, a certificate that is loaded into his/her browser. Normally, that contains the name and e-mail address of the authorized user and is automatically checked by the server on each reconnect to verify the user's identity, potentially without even entering a password.

[edit]Limitations

The level of protection depends on the correctness of the implementation by the Web browser and the server software and the actual cryptographic algorithms supported.

Also, HTTPS is insecure when applied on publicly-available static content. The entire site can be indexed using a Web crawler, and the URI of the encrypted resource can be inferred by knowing only the intercepted request/response size.[2] This allows an attacker to have access to the plaintext (the publicly-available static content), and the encrypted text (the encrypted version of the static content).

Because SSL operates below HTTP and has no knowledge of higher-level protocols, SSL servers can only strictly present one certificate for a particular IP/port combination.[3] This means that, in most cases, it is not feasible to use name-based virtual hosting with HTTPS. RFC-3546 TLS Extensions describes a solution called Server Name Indication (SNI), although many older browsers don't support this extension. Support for SNI is available since Firefox 2.0, Opera 8, Mozilla 1.8, and Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista.[4][5]

With the newer Internet Explorer 7 browser, Microsoft has increased the warnings sent when certificates are not registered. Whereas previously only a "security advice" pop-up appeared (which differentiated between name, source, and run time of the certificate), now a warning is displayed across the entire window, which recommends not using the Web site. Therefore, a certificate that is not registered in the browser is not usable for mass applications. Certificates that are registered in the root chains cost between US$10 and $1,200 per year.

What I do if I buy online is use a temporary number, you will have to see if your card company offers this. Basically you get a temporary number from the card issuer and give that to the vendor for a one time use. Then that number is no longer valid.

Only you and the credit card co. will know what the card number is.

The vendor only gets the temp. number.

Hope that helps. :)

LZfan 715--that sucks for you.

I think the other alternatives are great ones if you're of age and have your own bank accounts.

My boyfriend buys stuff on ebay and doesn't do it via PayPal---so I'm interested in his reaction (though he hasn't said anything yet).

I have a paypal account linked to my checking account. I don't really buy on Ebay anymore but thankfully I had no problems with security issues. It's a bummer people stopped accepting money orders :( I wonder why? Though I've heard they have changed a lot of policies and procedures there.

I'm not sure. It sucks for people who actually did pay. We always payed. There was once that the payment was late, but my dad had a kidney stone and was in the hospital. We told the people and they said it was just fine. We also had a problem with 2 sellers. One took forever to send a belt buckle, and the other "forgot" to mention that the glass Knebworth poster had a huge split breaking it into 3 pieces.

I figured it came from Ebay not the sellers but I'm just curious what drove them to that decision. I wonder if they had a lot of problems with non-payments and such.

It was greed IMHO. I have a power sellers acct. on ebay and they charge fees for posting an auction, a final value fee and then a fee to process the payment ie. Paypal

which is owned by ebay.

Trust me the other sellers are just as upset by this new policy. I my self rarely recieved a money order or check as I usually dealt in items valued above $100 and most of my customers would rather pay with a cc via paypal.

The other change that has occured is that now paypal will hold the payment until the buyer leaves feedback which to me is a business disaster.

I had planned on doing this as a means to suppliment my income when I retire, plus it was something that I enjoyed doing.

You just can't run a business when you don't have control of your cash flow, the same reason I would never use a drop shipper. All of my items were in my physical posession.

Ebay has become user unfriendly and just another greedy corporation.

I guess I will have to host my own site and start off with my customer list to generate my own traffic, which I had planned to do eventually anyhow but this will no doubt accelerate the process.

So long to FEEbay and Praypal :wave:

It was greed IMHO. I have a power sellers acct. on ebay and they charge fees for posting an auction, a final value fee and then a fee to process the payment ie. Paypal

which is owned by ebay.

Trust me the other sellers are just as upset by this new policy. I my self rarely recieved a money order or check as I usually dealt in items valued above $100 and most of my customers would rather pay with a cc via paypal.

The other change that has occured is that now paypal will hold the payment until the buyer leaves feedback which to me is a business disaster.

I had planned on doing this as a means to suppliment my income when I retire, plus it was something that I enjoyed doing.

You just can't run a business when you don't have control of your cash flow, the same reason I would never use a drop shipper. All of my items were in my physical posession.

Ebay has become user unfriendly and just another greedy corporation.

I guess I will have to host my own site and start off with my customer list to generate my own traffic, which I had planned to do eventually anyhow but this will no doubt accelerate the process.

So long to FEEbay and Praypal :wave:

Wasn't there also other changes which seemed to give the buyer a lot more "power" if you will - can't remember specifically but something to do with feedback and the sellers could no longer give negative feedback, only the buyers? Or something in that realm. At any rate, doesn't sound like what they've done is of any positive nature to sellers :(

Wasn't there also other changes which seemed to give the buyer a lot more "power" if you will - can't remember specifically but something to do with feedback and the sellers could no longer give negative feedback, only the buyers? Or something in that realm. At any rate, doesn't sound like what they've done is of any positive nature to sellers :(

Yes, that is correct. That never really bothered me I never had to leave bad feedback and I have a 100% feedback rating myself :D

The reason they did that was because some sellers would hold back giving feedback until they would recieve positive feedback. I would give mine as soon as the payment cleared. I was confident that my customers would be satisfied. :)

We have 100% feedback. Unfortunatly we had to leave negative feedback. We didn't get our product for almost 2 months after the auction ended. I felt bad, but I guess it was needed. They also had poor communication with us.

Yes, that is correct. That never really bothered me I never had to leave bad feedback and I have a 100% feedback rating myself :D

The reason they did that was because some sellers would hold back giving feedback until they would recieve positive feedback. I would give mine as soon as the payment cleared. I was confident that my customers would be satisfied. :)

Good for you! I noticed that many sellers were doing that, not leaving feedback until after I left them positive feedback. After all, my part of the transaction was finished, they got my PayPal payment instantly so they had my money for their item- so they should leave positive feedback right away (or as soon as possible) for me. So I decided to not leave any feedback for any seller who didn't leave any for me.

That's what I would do regardless of whether a seller left me any.

This is what I do, too, although I really appreciate a seller who leaves feedback when they receive payment. As stated above, I've done my part, so I'm more likely to leave better feedback for a seller who doesn't wait for me ...

This is what I do, too, although I really appreciate a seller who leaves feedback when they receive payment. As stated above, I've done my part, so I'm more likely to leave better feedback for a seller who doesn't wait for me ...

The whole tone of dealing with sellers has changed a lot though - used to be you'd get into some conversation with them - they'd let you know when they got payment, your item shipped etc. Seemed more friendly. Now it feels more like a business transaction (which I know it is in a sense). I haven't used it in a long time.

The whole tone of dealing with sellers has changed a lot though - used to be you'd get into some conversation with them - they'd let you know when they got payment, your item shipped etc. Seemed more friendly. Now it feels more like a business transaction (which I know it is in a sense). I haven't used it in a long time.

That's the way I used to do it, then when you started handling $15k in sales in 10 day period you learn quick how to let the software do the work :o

But I would answer any emails as soon as I could. I've spent near as much on ebay as I've earned. Bought my first high end pc there as well as my Harley and many many other items.

It's really turned for the worse though and I'm having to look into an alternative venue.

That's the way I used to do it, then when you started handling $15k in sales in 10 day period you learn quick how to let the software do the work :o

But I would answer any emails as soon as I could. I've spent near as much on ebay as I've earned. Bought my first high end pc there as well as my Harley and many many other items.

It's really turned for the worse though and I'm having to look into an alternative venue.

I knew someone who bought a car from Ebay :o I'm sorry it's turned out to be not so useful to you as a seller :( I don't know really what else is out there that gets anywhere near the traffic Ebay has. Though maybe as things aren't good for them, one of the other sites will start to get Ebay people and build up.

Archived