New Robert/Alison Song...

nirvana

Robert's new song on Raising Sand may explain where Robert's heart is at these days. Especially notable on certain verses that have been left out from the original song by Townes Van Zandt.

I highlighted these verses to show how meanigful they are but for some reason weren't included on Robert and Alison's version.

The song is called "Nothin'". It is a song that could have easily been on a Zep record. It has that swirling, dark majesty about it and Robert sings one of his best vocals in years on it. Listen to it and see if you don't agree...

Hey mama, when you leave

Don't leave a thing behind

I don't want nothin'

I can't use nothin'

Take care into the hall

And if you see my friends

Tell them I'm fine

Not using nothin'

Almost burned out my eyes

Threw my ears down to the floor

I didn't see nothin'

I didn't hear nothin'

I stood there like a block of stone

Knowin' all I had to know

And nothin' more

Man, that's nothin'

As brothers our troubles are

Locked in each others arms

And you better pray

They never find you

Your back ain't strong enough

For burdens doublefold

They'd crush you down

Down into nothin'

Being born is going blind

And buying down a thousand times

To echoes strung

On pure temptation

Sorrow and solitude

These are the precious things

And the only words

That are worth rememberin'...

I don't need....NOTHIN'!

As brothers our troubles are

Locked in each others arms

And you better pray

They never find you

Your back ain't strong enough

For burdens doublefold

They'd crush you down

Down into nothin'

that's interesting... I'm going to have to google the song.. because I don't think I've ever heard the original.

I do love this song though.

did a quick search on google.....I haven't found anything that I could listen to yet.

Let me see if I got this right........

Two verses of a song......NOT written by Plant, probably chosen to be recorded by T-Bone Burnett, and probably omitted by T-Bone Burnett due to either wanting to cut the song down in length, or the fact that they did'nt fit well for a fermale to be singing...........is where Plant's head is right now?????

ok :blink:

Let me see if I got this right........

Two verses of a song......NOT written by Plant, probably chosen to be recorded by T-Bone Burnett, and probably omitted by T-Bone Burnett due to either wanting to cut the song down in length, or the fact that they did'nt fit well for a fermale to be singing...........is where Plant's head is right now?????

ok :blink:

No "fermale" sang on this song, Alison did however play a killer violin piece, T-Bone is a purist and wouldn't have cut the song in any way, Robert's emphatic "I Don't need - NOTHIN'" at the end of this song says it all.

Robert once said..."It's NOT what's sang lyrically in the song - it's more of the " IMPLICATION" in the lyrics.

The verses were probably cut because Robert said the song sounded like it was about a man's relationship with another man, and he didn't think it would sound right with him singing it. So, I would guess T Bone thus cut those two verses.

And where does anybody say anything about Robert needing to chill out a little bit??

The verses were probably cut because Robert said the song sounded like it was about a man's relationship with another man, and he didn't think it would sound right with him singing it. So, I would guess T Bone thus cut those two verses.

And where does anybody say anything about Robert needing to chill out a little bit??

Yea, I can hear Robert calling to T-Bone in the studio..."Hey "T", Can we cut those 2 verses...too Brokeback Mountain-ish for me!"

you guys slay me!! :P

Yea, I can hear Robert calling to T-Bone in the studio..."Hey "T", Can we cut those 2 verses...too Brokeback Mountain-ish for me!"

you guys slay me!! :P

Hey, I was just telling you what Robert said in the Uncut interview. He then said T Bone convinced him it was actually about a guy's relationship with himself.

I'm just the messenger.

As long as no one is misusing Robert Plant, then it's alright.

Nothin' is a song written by Townes Van Zandt, not Robert Plant. I have the sense that Robert is exploring some unfamiliar territory with the Raising Sand album. Not that he lacks experience, but he may be looking at the world through the eyes of others simply to get their point of view and see what it is. He probably feels their pain, but it may not be his own.

I listened to that song the other day, right before I changed my CD player back to Today I Started Loving You Again. I guess when it comes to country, I've got a one-track mind.

:D

Nirvana, I went with on the whole Zep DVD thing, but can't people just leave them alone? They were people making music, can you just enjoy the music and not analyze everything and not try to get into their head? I thought I was about having everything you needed and not needing anything more, hence I don't want nothin' I can't use nothin'. Just my $.02.

Nirvana, I went with on the whole Zep DVD thing, but can't people just leave them alone? They were people making music, can you just enjoy the music and not analyze everything and not try to get into their head? I thought I was about having everything you needed and not needing anything more, hence I don't want nothin' I can't use nothin'. Just my $.02.

I value your .02% more than anyone's on this board 715...and my analysis of anything Zep and or Solo member is just my way of lifting the "norm" to a different level - that's all.

I do enjoy the music fore the music's sake - really! But after that, I TRY to go behind the music and try to see it all in a different light...in this case, Nothin' means nothin' - including a Zep reunion.

Hope you are well and thank you for making your case in difference to me...Peace, my Lady.

Archived