John Bonham high on Most Influantial Drummer List

The Rover

It really was silly. There's another time. Ringo got sick just before the Beatles embarked on their 1964 Australian tour. So Jamie McNichol played LIVE with John, George and Paul for a few concert dated down there. I'd love to have a bootleg of one of those. I have the show just as Ringo re-joined and John welcomes in back to a HUGE ROAR from the crowd.

Those would be great to own! Even the one you have sounds amazing.

Those would be great to own! Even the one you have sounds amazing.

I don't have too many but a few choice Beatlegs. :D

The Melbourne June 16,17 1964 shows are the ones I was talking about.

Beatles At the Beeb early-mid 60s

Beatles Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 1 '63-'64 SDB 9.0-9.25 A-Mit

Beatles Please Please Me/With the Beatles Dr. Ebbets STEREO A-Mit

Beatles A Hard Days Night/Beatles For Sale Dr. Ebbets STEREO A-Mit

Beatles 6/16,17/64 Melbourne SDB 8.5

Beatles 8/23/64,8/30/65 Hollywood Bowl SDB 8.5 A-Mit

Beatles 6/20/65 Paris SDB 8.5-8.75 A-Mit

Beatles(2) Soul Sessions SDB 8.5-9.75

Beatles Alternate Revolver SDB 9.75

Beatles Mono Sgt. Pepper SDB 9.5 A-Mit

Beatles(2) Magical Mystery Tour Outtakes SDB 9.0-9.5

Beatles Most Wanted Tracks

Beatles 20 Alternate White Album Mixes SDB 9.0 A-Mit

Beatles another alternate White Album Planet P010 SDB 8.0-9.0

Beatles Celluloid Rock SDB 9.25 A-Mit

Beatles – Gly Johns Get Back

Beatles Get Back + 22 other songs...SDB 9.0-9.25 A-Mit

Beatles Complete Rooftop + extras SDB 8.0-9.0

Beatles The Alternate Abbey Road SDB 8.0-9.5

I'd never heard this rumor before either, and it seems particularly ludicrous to think that a band as scrutinized in every detail as the Beatles, especially early on, could have gotten away with something like that. Sometimes "people in the music business" come up with really silly ideas (how many of them had any connection to the Beatles, I wonder?).

I'd never heard this rumor before either, and it seems particularly ludicrous to think that a band as scrutinized in every detail as the Beatles, especially early on, could have gotten away with something like that. Sometimes "people in the music business" come up with really silly ideas (how many of them had any connection to the Beatles, I wonder?).

I think it came mostly from the Rolling Stones camp. That old Stones vs. The Beatles rivalry back then.

You really never heard this ? I've heard it alot through the ages.

Here you go, I did it for you....a quick search and no. 12 on 'Reasons Ringo deserves respect'....

12. The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are also false. In fact, he played on every released Beatles recording (not including Anthology 1) that include drums except for the following: "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence", on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band, "The Ballad of John and Yoko", again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of "Love Me Do" featuring session drummer Andy White.

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/bryant.html

Funny huh ? He even mentions what I had about the White Album and Love Me Do. I wonder if he heard me thinking. :rolleyes:

Here you go, I did it for you....a quick search and no. 12 on 'Reasons Ringo deserves respect'....

12. The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are also false. In fact, he played on every released Beatles recording (not including Anthology 1) that include drums except for the following: "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence", on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band, "The Ballad of John and Yoko", again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of "Love Me Do" featuring session drummer Andy White.

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/bryant.html

Funny huh ? He even mentions what I had about the White Album and Love Me Do. I wonder if he heard me thinking. :rolleyes:

Thanks - it wasn't a huge issue for me. I was just commenting on the fact it was news to me but could also be a result of becoming a Beatles fan well after they broke up.

Wow, the way you entered your post made it look like I was professing to Ringo's non-involvement in Beatle recordings.

I'm sure you were referring to this post that I had quoted to respond to,

I just wanted to clarify this for you, because I'm sure you realize I was defending Ringo's involvement, not the other way around. :)

I was well aware of it. Thanks.

Thanks - it wasn't a huge issue for me. I was just commenting on the fact it was news to me but could also be a result of becoming a Beatles fan well after they broke up.

I guess I sort of took issue because I DID know what I was talking about. I had said Alan 'something' as far as the drummer who did the original Love Me DO single, but it's really Andy. I was close, my memory isn't always 100% but can be very close. You said you knew about the White Album walkout by Ringo, and I'd forgotten the Ballad of J&Y with Paul playing drums. Matter of fact it was ONLY Paul and John on that song. George wasn't on it either.

I know my Beatles fairly well and have always been around rabid fans and music industry types too.

So it comes with the territory. It's a constantly learning process though, and that keeps me vibrant and excited.

Music is life.

I guess I sort of took issue because I DID know what I was talking about. I had said Alan 'something' as far as the drummer who did the original Love Me DO single, but it's really Andy. I was close, my memory isn't always 100% but can be very close. You said you knew about the White Album walkout by Ringo, and I'd forgotten the Ballad of J&Y with Paul playing drums. Matter of fact it was ONLY Paul and John on that song. George wasn't on it either.

I know my Beatles fairly well and have always been around rabid fans and music industry types too.

So it comes with the territory. It's a constantly learning process though, and that keeps me vibrant and excited.

Music is life.

Oh I wasn't trying to be pissy about it - more just commenting it wasn't something I was aware of and such because I don't have huge amounts of knowledge on the Beatles beyond loving their music.

I think it came mostly from the Rolling Stones camp. That old Stones vs. The Beatles rivalry back then.

You really never heard this ? I've heard it alot through the ages.

Nope I really hadn't--which doesn't mean I was doubting you. It's the sort of rumor I can easily believe people inventing.

I AM a bit dubious about the Stones camp being responsible, though, as I WAS tuned into them through all those years.

Nope I really hadn't--which doesn't mean I was doubting you. It's the sort of rumor I can easily believe people inventing.

I AM a bit dubious about the Stones camp being responsible, though, as I WAS tuned into them through all those years.

Just cheeky humor,

287zt5s.jpg

You have heard of those old rumors about the Stones vs. The Beatles among fans, right ?

refer to above again.

Just cheeky humor,

287zt5s.jpg

You have heard of those old rumors about the Stones vs. The Beatles among fans, right ?

refer to above again.

Yup, I was around at the time! And never got it when the bands themselves were close friends, but there it is--rampant rivalry between the fans.

Yup, I was around at the time! And never got it when the bands themselves were close friends, but there it is--rampant rivalry between the fans.

I LOVED them both at the same time. But did have friends who were so polarized it was ridiculous.

By the way, back to the topic, and then my hope for other people's lists, who are some of your 'most influential drummers' ?

Cool to see some Ringo love in this thread because he damn sure didn't get any in one of the other drummer threads on the board.

I'd also heard the stories about him not playing on some of the records but never knew the details. Learn something new every day, thanks for the history lesson.

I LOVED them both at the same time. But did have friends who were so polarized it was ridiculous.

By the way, back to the topic, and then my hope for other people's lists, who are some of your 'most influential drummers' ?

"Influential" is the tough part. Means you don't necessarily have to like them, just think they influenced other people.

Apart from Bonham, Moon, etc.--Sly Dunbar? Billy Cobham? Sheila E? Carlie Barrett? Obviously Krupa, Rich, and co.

"Influential" is the tough part. Means you don't necessarily have to like them, just think they influenced other people.

Apart from Bonham, Moon, etc.--Sly Dunbar? Billy Cobham? Sheila E? Carlie Barrett? Obviously Krupa, Rich, and co.

Both Sly Dunbar (as well as bassist Robbie Shakespeare) and Billy Cobham have been highly influential. Then again Sly and Robbie are probably better known in reggae circles as is Cobham in jazz ones. Sheila E. shouldn't be so easily dismissed either.

I forgot about Sheila E!

Although I'm not really a fan, I'm surprised Neil Peart didn't round out the top 10. Perhaps he's somewhere in teens.

Me too.

I can't take a list seriously that has Ringo Starr on it, but not Neil Peart.

Certainly the best drummer I have ever seen play live ( never saw John Bonham perform live)

Me too.

I can't take a list seriously that has Ringo Starr on it, but not Neil Peart.

Certainly the best drummer I have ever seen play live ( never saw John Bonham perform live)

I completely forgot about Neil. He is definitely a great drummer.

Archived