John Bonham high on Most Influantial Drummer List

The Rover

i love the beatles dont get me wrong but i would rather have had john lennon sing on EVERY song at least songs with vocals (i dont like pauls voice. and would have had someone else be drummer.. i believe the rumor wouldnt surprise me one bit. and i didnt make this up.. this is people in the music bus..but besides that .. thats y i love zeppelin each member was so vital to the success.. beatles its more one bigger than the other imop.. but still a legendary foursome and one of the few bands who rival zeppelin.. dont surpass but rival in terms of their catalogue

i love the beatles dont get me wrong but i would rather have had john lennon sing on EVERY song at least songs with vocals (i dont like pauls voice. and would have had someone else be drummer.. i believe the rumor wouldnt surprise me one bit. and i didnt make this up.. this is people in the music bus..but besides that .. thats y i love zeppelin each member was so vital to the success.. beatles its more one bigger than the other imop.. but still a legendary foursome and one of the few bands who rival zeppelin.. dont surpass but rival in terms of their catalogue

But Ringo's contributions are in part what made the Beatles the Beatles. If it was someone else, they wouldn't have sounded the same, much like Zep wouldn't have been what we know them as had history taken a different turn and Robert was not the vocalist.

But Ringo's contributions are in part what made the Beatles the Beatles. If it was someone else, they wouldn't have sounded the same, much like Zep wouldn't have been what we know them as had history taken a different turn and Robert was not the vocalist.

yea but robert was the only "frontman" in zeppelin.. he of course is going to be a huge presence to fans because average fans dont understand the intricacies of the music but they hear roberts voice.. but besides that ringo is often noted to be not even the best drummer in his own band! the beatles had 2 frontmen and the one was a better drummer :as in paul mccartney.. i love his voice but im tired of hearing about the halo that people have put atop ringos head..NO.. that crown belongs to real drummers like bonzo, peart, rich, krupa, moon, etc.

yea but robert was the only "frontman" in zeppelin.. he of course is going to be a huge presence to fans because average fans dont understand the intricacies of the music but they hear roberts voice.. but besides that ringo is often noted to be not even the best drummer in his own band! the beatles had 2 frontmen and the one was a better drummer :as in paul mccartney.. i love his voice but im tired of hearing about the halo that people have put atop ringos head..NO.. that crown belongs to real drummers like bonzo, peart, rich, krupa, moon, etc.

and his son is a way better drummer than he ever was anyhow.. i saw zach starkey live with The Who 3 years ago and he was umbelievable.. i know thats not the discussion we are talking about but it just shows ringos a fraud at least in my eyes...

For the most part, Ringo was the only drummer in the Beatles. I don't put a halo on him for his drumming per se, but his musical contributions he made with the rest of the group you can't deny and as I said before, without him, they wouldn't be what they were.

Regardless of whether Robert was the only frontman, the same would be said for any of them. What made Zep work was the FOUR of them together. Each of their talents just worked incredibly well as a unit (well on their own too but that's off topic).

For the most part, Ringo was the only drummer in the Beatles. I don't put a halo on him for his drumming per se, but his musical contributions he made with the rest of the group you can't deny and as I said before, without him, they wouldn't be what they were.

Regardless of whether Robert was the only frontman, the same would be said for any of them. What made Zep work was the FOUR of them together. Each of their talents just worked incredibly well as a unit (well on their own too but that's off topic).

i agree to an extent on ringo.. he was a great singer my brother likes him the best out of all 4 beatles as a vocalist.. he likes how hes off key alot but its not perfectly clean like mccartney whos voice i cant stand..(lennon may just be my 2nd fav vocalist behind plant)drumming wise i think its a joke.. he lived off of the talents of the 3 other musicians and put down beats that did suit them but think how bonzo or another gifted drummer could have made them sound even better.. wow that makes u think were they limited by him? people will deny that statement till the cows come home but i look at it like this.. bonzo neil peart moon etc..they would have succeeded ANYWHERE.. ask yourself would ringo have succeeded if not in the beatles?... i think anyone who says yes is out of their minds.. i know he was in one of the greatest bands ever and i love the beatles top 5 band for me at least their later years which were sensational, but i dont think he did much to contribute.. like bonzo made kashmir by what he didnt do and some songs you just have to lay off of the other 3 guys and let them do their thing.. but it seems like ringo always played that way and got famous off of it.. i think hes a fraud because he was around 3 amazing musicians.. lennon being the best by far but thats besides the point

Ringo was a "fraud"? I've read some ridiculous ass statements on this board in the past but that one would have to be right up there.

As for "frontmen" in the Beatles, I guess it depends on how you choose to define it but all four members were allowed to sing lead vocals. I don't think there was any true "frontman" in the Beatles since they all sang and/or shared harmony vocals.

Ringo was a "fraud"? I've read some ridiculous ass statements on this board in the past but that one would have to be right up there.

As for "frontmen" in the Beatles, I guess it depends on how you choose to define it but all four members were allowed to sing lead vocals. I don't think there was any true "frontman" in the Beatles since they all sang and/or shared harmony vocals.

well excuse me but usually (95 % or more) can u tell me who gets the songwriting credits the most??? that would be mccartney/lennon or lennon/mccartney however you want to say it.. thats obviously what i meant by that.. i of course know they all sang but the 2 big guns were lennon and mccartney esp in the songwriting category.. for the most part at least..just like jagger/richards they wrote the chief amount of songs together sometimes completely blindsiding the other members of the group when they had little or nothing to do witht the song they are credited to have written.. so my point is ringo didnt have the ability to make a band better.. whether he played on the recordings or not is not the question.. the question is would any other band have put up with his bulls**t playing.. other than maybe AC/DC who are phenomenal but the drummer is obviously stealing royalties.or some of the other bands who were great but didnt necessarily have a hard drumming pattern.he didnt earn his status as much as he lived off of the other 3 esp lennon and mccartney.. lennon being the superior imop..no band with a somewhat intriguing rhythm section would put up with ringo in his day.. are the beatles amazing .. YES!! but the thing is its fine to say ringo was in one of the greatest bands ever and was a solid drummer and contributed.. but it is sickning to see how much he is reveared in music.. its garbage.. u can say he was in a great band which he was but that doesnt automatically earn you a spot on the greatest drummer list..its rubbish and nonsense :angry:

well excuse me but usually (95 % or more) can u tell me who gets the songwriting credits the most??? that would be mccartney/lennon or lennon/mccartney however you want to say it.. thats obviously what i meant by that.. i of course know they all sang but the 2 big guns were lennon and mccartney esp in the songwriting category.. for the most part at least..just like jagger/richards they wrote the chief amount of songs together sometimes completely blindsiding the other members of the group when they had little or nothing to do witht the song they are credited to have written.. so my point is ringo didnt have the ability to make a band better.. whether he played on the recordings or not is not the question.. the question is would any other band have put up with his bulls**t playing.. other than maybe AC/DC who are phenomenal but the drummer is obviously stealing royalties.or some of the other bands who were great but didnt necessarily have a hard drumming pattern.he didnt earn his status as much as he lived off of the other 3 esp lennon and mccartney.. lennon being the superior imop..no band with a somewhat intriguing rhythm section would put up with ringo in his day.. are the beatles amazing .. YES!! but the thing is its fine to say ringo was in one of the greatest bands ever and was a solid drummer and contributed.. but it is sickning to see how much he is reveared in music.. its garbage.. u can say he was in a great band which he was but that doesnt automatically earn you a spot on the greatest drummer list..its rubbish and nonsense :angry:

Wow, I've never seen so much hatred for a band member. Whether you believe he should be on a best of list is fine but I don't see how you can claim anyone could have filled those shoes and the Beatles would have been exactly who they are or necessarily created what they did.

Wow, I've never seen so much hatred for a band member. Whether you believe he should be on a best of list is fine but I don't see how you can claim anyone could have filled those shoes and the Beatles would have been exactly who they are or necessarily created what they did.

Yes you have.Right here in our own little fold. ;)

Ringo did what Ringo had to.It worked.End of story!

I've never seen Ringo being "revered" anywhere. :huh: I've just seen him being appreciated for being the right guy for the band. Speaking of which, the idea that Bonzo could have made the Beatles sound "even better" is totally :wacko: . Talk about a drummer being completely WRONG for a particular band!

I've never seen Ringo being "revered" anywhere. :huh: I've just seen him being appreciated for being the right guy for the band. Speaking of which, the idea that Bonzo could have made the Beatles sound "even better" is totally :wacko: . Talk about a drummer being completely WRONG for a particular band!
What? If it hadn't been for Ringo,I'd still be in the construction business...wait a minute,I'm still in the construction business. :slapface:

Well if I had listened more to Ringo than John,I wouldn't have got kicked out of drum class.I probably would have been a drummer by now.

It showed me that, you gotta know basics before you go Bonzo!

RE: Ringo's Influence, after their historic appearance on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 by William Ludwig Jr., president of the Ludwig drum company:

"That was the first time I ever saw my name on TV. There I was, watching "The Ed Sullivan Show," and I see my name on the front of the drum head. Yeah! It was also the first time I had seen The Beatles, and the first time I was aware of Ringo using a Ludwig drum. Our company was besieged with calls the next day -- with people looking to order that Ludwig drum set.

"Well, we got after the suppliers and put on a second shift -- a night shift till 1 a.m. All day, every night, six days a week, including Saturday. We geared up to make 100 sets a day -- and we still had nine months' backlog (of orders). We had 85,000 on backorder. And they were all ordering it with the Ludwig logo on the front head ... It was amazing -- this wonderful thing from heaven that fell into our laps without trying. It'll never happen again."

Overnight, the company's Chicago factory on Damon Avenue began running 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week in an effort to keep up with the flood of orders demand. Ludwig liked to joke that Ed Sullivan was the "show that launched a thousand purchase orders." He later recalled that for three years after that fateful hour on prime time, the only days his factory shut down were Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.

The company's biggest problem was keeping up with the burgeoning demand. Expanding the Ludwig factory on Chicago's Damon Avenue required buying up adjacent property and placating residents who complained about the endless noise and truck traffic.

To keep the peace and maintain the factory expansion, Bill Ludwig explained, "I had to visit all our neighbors up and down the block and invite them to factory tours, followed by `jollification' at Boris's bar afterwards. Over beers, we worked out compromises. I agreed to shut down certain machines after ten o'clock, like the stick lathes and the scarfing machines, and the neighborhood allowed us to expand."

This list proves you can't please everybody. I'm not a fan of Ringo I disagree with him on the top ten when they left out Neal Peart, Ginger Baker and Benny Benjamin. But that's just me.

Any best of or top 10 list is going to be subjective and we're all going to have a difference as to who should be on and where. That's why I never get too worked up over them.

Any best of or top 10 list is going to be subjective and we're all going to have a difference as to who should be on and where. That's why I never get too worked up over them.

You're absolutely right. Look at all the Rolling Stone polls I've disagreed with, when I think Zeppelin should have placed much higher. Can't get too involved with this stuff.

You're absolutely right. Look at all the Rolling Stone polls I've disagreed with, when I think Zeppelin should have placed much higher. Can't get too involved with this stuff.

I don't get worked up at all. I'll just listen to the drummers that I like such as Neal Peart, Ginger Baker, Benny Benjamin (The Funk Brothers) and ect.

• 1 month later...

Bonzo is the best for me. Last time I saw Rush Peart did an interesting solo. The dude has chops. I still think nobody could hit the skins the way Bonzo did.

I also like Sly Dunbar a lot. He actually was the drummer on Journey's first album, I think. Pre-Steve Perry, when Greg Rolle handled the singing, what there was of it. Sly has shown chops on lots of different musical styles.

Hammer of the Gods ( Led Zeppelin Unauthorised)

JB to a journalist

"Ive never tried conciously to be one of the best drummers and i dont want to be.

A lot of kids come up to me and say. 'There's a lot better drummers than you,' or something.

But i enjoy playing to the best of my ability and thats why im here doing it.

I dont claim to be more exciting than Buddy Rich."

Bonzo is the best for me. Last time I saw Rush Peart did an interesting solo. The dude has chops. I still think nobody could hit the skins the way Bonzo did.

I also like Sly Dunbar a lot. He actually was the drummer on Journey's first album, I think. Pre-Steve Perry, when Greg Rolle handled the singing, what there was of it. Sly has shown chops on lots of different musical styles.

Prairie Prince was the original drummer for Journey so perhaps you're thinking of Aynsley Dunbar. Though he has played a variety of styles, Sly Dunbar is primarily known as a reggae drummer and is a damn good one at that.

Archived