How about a guitar solo?

Swede

Dancin' Days inpired me to make this thread, thanks man. :D

Many seem to think the rock song that used to have a solo somewhere in the middle or end of the song does not longer exist. Let's show people that ain't the truth.

Let's post about bands that frequently use the guitar not only for rhythm and riffs in their songs.

PLEASE NOTE: To post about a specific band, the criterias are as follows.

• Formed in the 90's or later.
  • Last record released in 2006 or later.
  • Preferable a still touring band, but at least not disbanded before 2007.
  • Provide some info or/and a link, not just a name.

I start with these bands:

The Scrags

Pretty new band that recently released their debut album which has gotten great reviews. I've seen them several times and they put on one hell of a live show. The vocalist is crazy. Inspired by the NYC and Detroit sound.

Thunder Express

This fourpiece has made two records. They play rock with the roots in bands like Humble Pie, Thin Lizzy and MC5 but with a modern twist. Great musicians.

The Sadies

Canadian rock band that got all kind of influences, from country, through surf to rock'n'roll. They have made several albums and has made extensive tours around the world.

Witchcraft

Swedish band who have made three albums. These guys play old school hard rock kind of like Black Sabbath, Pentagram and the likes. They toured all over USA last fall to promote their last album The Alchemist.

Witchcraft - Chylde of Fire (Video)

Cut In The Hill Gang

Former Soledad Brothers front man Johnny Walker's new band. Got a new album out and going to tour UK this February (and I'm going to be there, in Glasgow, YEAH!!). These guys plays heavy blues rock.

The Hellacopters

I've been naggin' about these guys since I first became a member of this board. Unfortunatly they disbanded October 2008, but their excellent catalog of records is there for anyone to discover. Hellacopters is one of my all time favourite bands. They never cared for what was hip and just played what they loved. They got great recognision all over the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIBzFOBBqFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uHyjc98e8

Now, show me what you got.

:DB):D

Opeth

Swedish progressive metal band. One of my favourite bands, they frequently use guitar solos. They're mostly fans of classic old school death metal and 70s prog rock. They're last album, Watershed was released last year, and most recently they toured North America and Europe.

A Fair Judgement

Because youtube is lame and is muting audio tracks, some guy playing the solo from Hessian Peel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r39YZ5UWhc4

Progressive rock band from Woodstock NY. I've seen them live, and I can't overstate how extremely amazing they are live, they have more energy than 99% of anything else around. They are m i n d b l o w i n g .

They use two guitarists, one plays lead and a slap style of acoustic, they also have a percussionist and a drummer, as well as the bassist of course.

Maybe that was me in another thread that suggested the solo (whether it be on guitar, bass, drums, etc.) is a thing of the past. Maybe I should have worded that differently. In some instances it works but if not done right it can come off as needless wankering (at least in my opinion). To me, one of the downsides to 70s era bands was the need for solos during their shows. Now, that just seems very self-indulgent and excessive.

Though they meet none of your criteria, I've always admired R.E.M's Peter Buck and how he's hardly ever worked any solos into their songs. One notable exception would be She Just Wants To Be from their album Reveal. In concert he even takes it a step further and gets into some very extended soloing, a true rarity for Mr. Buck indeed.

When I refer to a solo I'm mostly talking about concert performances when the entire band stops playing so the guitarist, bassist, drummer, etc. can take a solo. Those can still be well done and tasteful but a lot of times they aren't. That's when they tend to remind me of the excesses of very many 70s era bands.

I'll throw Wilco out there, now and before they have always had smokin' solos. I'm not going to post a link because I assume most people know who Wilco is and have heard them. How's that for lazy.

Very good example but unfortunately there's probably only a good handful of us here that even know who Wilco is. Their concert last year in Cary, NC was among the best I saw in 2008 (R.E.M. and Plant/Krauss being a couple of the others). As much as I love them live, their style of slowly building to a crescendo and then getting all noisy does have a tendency to get tiresome after a while. Still one of my favorite live bands out there though.

As much as I love them live, their style of slowing building to a crescendo and then getting all noisy does have a tendency to get tiresome after a while.

Got to admit that bugged me at the last Wilco show I attended as well. That and the crowd that goes to Wilco shows kind of bugs me too. their increasing popularity was brought out the flakes. I'm starting to sound like a sour-puss today :slapface:.

The Answer

The guys are a hard/blues rock band from Northern Ireland. These guys can really rock, I think they take the AC/DC formula of some boogie down rock 'n' roll and most songs if not all has a guitar solo. It's a long way to the top but these guys are on their way to be big. Currently they are touring with AC/DC, Jimmy Page has stated that watching The Answer is like watching Led Zeppelin in their early days. They have released Rise, their debut full lenght album in the U.K. and Never Too late, debut ep in the U.S. They have an upcoming album called Everyday Demons due out in February 17.

Live In Peterborough

Got to admit that bugged me at the last Wilco show I attended as well. That and the crowd that goes to Wilco shows kind of bugs me too. their increasing popularity was brought out the flakes. I'm starting to sound like a sour-puss today :slapface:.

It's only natural (the flake aspect). I saw it with the Grateful Dead and have witnessed it at lots of other shows including the Truckers. That said, I can't say it's really ever detracted from my concert experiences all that much (except in cases of extreme asshattery). My favorite at the Wilco show was Remember the Mountain Bed. Ever since their Chicago residency shows last year where they played all their material they've been working more and more of those lesser played songs into their setlists. Mountain Bed was worth the price of admission alone. As for the building into a crescendo thing, they were still doing that but not nearly as much as openers Bon Iver. I did like Bon Iver but could have done with more originality on their part. I know imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery but if that's what they were going for, it didn't work.

mmmm, back to solos....

I'm not sure where the idea came from that the guitar solo died. There may have been a very small moment in time when it was somewhat unfashionable but even then the metal and blues musicians were still soloing. Heck even in the the heyday of, god I hate this tag, grunge and punk guys like J Mascis and Rev Horton Heat (J. Heath) were soloing mofo's.

Here's a link.

Danelectro and Jahfin, my point with this thread was to bring forward bands that doesn't exist in the playlist of today's radio and MTV and whatever channels we are getting feeded all kinds of horrible music. Also, on this board, there are a lot of people who got the impression that good ole rock, like it used to be, has died. But I think there are many great young band that are influenced by rock'n'roll music, and whatever you say, guitar solos (in songs, not a guitar alone in concert) has been out of fasion quite a long time, but it's changing.

Yukon C, LZ and Eagles doesn't fit the criteria.

BTW, I'm drunk. :lol: Cheers!

...and while I'm at it, I think a guitar solo, or any solo, in a song, is way underrated. Wanking, that's when it gets looooong and boring and lacks quality. Actually, bands that never has a solo in the songs can get quite boring too.

Danelectro and Jahfin, my point with this thread was to bring forward bands that doesn't exist in the playlist of today's radio and MTV and whatever channels we are getting feeded all kinds of horrible music. Also, on this board, there are a lot of people who got the impression that good ole rock, like it used to be, has died. But I think there are many great young band that are influenced by rock'n'roll music, and whatever you say, guitar solos (in songs, not a guitar alone in concert) has been out of fasion quite a long time, but it's changing.

Yukon C, LZ and Eagles doesn't fit the criteria.

BTW, I'm drunk. :lol: Cheers!

Ah got it, I'll post some of what you are looking for soon.

Here's some great stuff to check out!

Dollhouse

I fuckin' love this band, true energy rock'n'roll with a feel for soul and blues! Highly influenced by bands like Grand Funk Railroad and MC5. They will have a new album out in February and is going to tour Germany and Austria in March. Also check out their debut album Royal Rendzevous.

Dollhouse - I'm a man on the move (live)

Dollhouse - Gotta change (live)

The Objects

These guys have been around for a couple of years but haven't got anything offically released what I know of. They're certainly worth checking out though.

Captain Murphy

Great psychedelic rock. Got two albums out, the selftitled album from 2004 and Human Cannonball from 2007. Some really great stuff!!

Anyone heard of Danish psych rockers Baby Woodrose?

Great rock with the roots in Roky Erickson & 13th Floor Elevators. They have made several records and tours. Chasing Rainbows is their latest album and is available both in digital form and on LP.

m_795fd48ac22dad9a76c06f33cd65d73b.jpg

Great links, Swede. Many in the same genre as your own music. Much more raw 60's vibe.

I think the 70's "wankerie" as it's been called, If it's played with style and grace was more than just meandering. I LIKED the journey.

If I may add my 2 cents (Which you've heard before ad nauseum)

Earl Greyhound

Fierce! Much more in the loose Zep-tastic mold.

http://www.earlgreyhound.com/

S.O.S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjePHdNawc

Monkey

Doggy

Yeah I Love You

A great recording; no solo per say.

It's Over

And as always Ian Thornley. Perhaps a bit too polished for your taste but IMHO a GREAT, GREAT guitarist.

Hendrix' "Catfish Blues"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBsyOSB1Iig

Big Wreck's "Look What I Found"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfjA2COe25o

Big Wreck's "Under the Lighthouse"

Big Wreck's "Overemphasizing" (If you can't hear Mr. Page ALL OVER this one....) 5:00 min in the solo begins.

Come Again - Thornley - Improvised interlude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn02qYldQXk

The ABSOLUTE monster solo of solos for this decade! The soon to be released "Might Be The End"

Might Be The End

Nice tunage Swede!

Yeah, Baby Woodrose is a cool band. I saw them in 2002, but back then I had never heard of them before. I wasn't overly impressed at the moment, but my mind have changed with time. All their records are worth checking out as they have progressed through the years.

Baby Woodrose's vocalist and drummer has another project called Dragontears which resently released an album. They are trippy as hell, with all kind of different instrumetations (sparkling water, for example). :D

Yeah, Baby Woodrose is a cool band. I saw them in 2002, but back then I had never heard of them before. I wasn't overly impressed at the moment, but my mind have changed with time. All their records are worth checking out as they have progressed through the years.

Baby Woodrose's vocalist and drummer has another project called Dragontears which resently released an album. They are trippy as hell, with all kind of different instrumetations (sparkling water, for example). :D

Not too bad but a little psyhedelic for even my taste. :hippy::D

Here's one from the lead singer of Thin Lizzy, John Sykes with his other band Blue Murder.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uRs05UQPXGU

I did like Blue Murder back when, but I'm sorry Dancin' Days' they don't pass the criteria for this thread. ;)

PLEASE NOTE: To post about a specific band, the criterias are as follows.

• Formed in the 90's or later.
  • Last record released in 2006 or later.
  • Preferable a still touring band, but at least not disbanded before 2007.
  • Provide some info or/and a link, not just a name.

Archived