How about a guitar solo?

Swede

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John Frusciante does his best Eddie Hazel impression on the opening track of the album he released just last month:

His solo work is so much better than the RHCP it's embarrassing.

Boris comes to mind, but many of their songs are to long to post on Youtube.

Don't like Wilco much beyond A Ghost Is Born. There's some good solos in there.

John Frusciante does his best Eddie Hazel impression on the opening track of the album he released just last month:

Musically, RHCP is so much better. I know it's hip to diss the newer Chili Peppers stuff, but it's 10x more melodic and put together so much better than Froosh's solo stuff.

His new album is a step in the right direction compared to some of his other stuff, but it's still full of self indulgent crap.

Holy shit, someone else on here likes Boris?

I didn't listen to them when I used to hang around here. I've heard 6-7 of their albums. Favorites are Akuma No Uta and the hardcore thrash version of Vein.

Musically, RHCP is so much better. I know it's hip to diss the newer Chili Peppers stuff, but it's 10x more melodic and put together so much better than Froosh's solo stuff.

His new album is a step in the right direction compared to some of his other stuff, but it's still full of self indulgent crap.

I diss ALL of RHCP's stuff, old and new. I've never been more than lukewarm towards them. I only recently checked out a few of Frusciante's albums and they've blown me away. On a completely different level than the Peppers.

I didn't listen to them when I used to hang around here. I've heard 6-7 of their albums. Favorites are Akuma No Uta and the hardcore thrash version of Vein.

I diss ALL of RHCP's stuff, old and new. I've never been more than lukewarm towards them. I only recently checked out a few of Frusciante's albums and they've blown me away. On a completely different level than the Peppers.

Ah, I see. I just assumed you were a fan of their older stuff, so you trash the newer stuff. Alot of their fans turned toward Froosh's solo work when RHCP became the mainstreamiest of bands. Ironically, he is now more in control of the Chili's sound than ever.

• 1 month later...

Boris comes to mind, but many of their songs are to long to post on Youtube.

Don't like Wilco much beyond A Ghost Is Born. There's some good solos in there.

That is pretty much a rip off of Eddie Hazel's sound, you're right. Even some of the note choices and phrasing could be lifted straight out of one of Eddie's solos, not to mention the echoing stuff, which is pure funkadelic... Yeah, it's great making a nod to your influences, but i'm not so sure about it in this instance..

• 2 months later...

Graveyard

Graveyard is a new Swedish band, hard rock with influences from Pentagram and Black Sabbath. If you like Witchcraft you will like these guys. They released their debut self titled album in 2008 and I will be seeing them in a few weeks at the Bootleg Theater in Los Angeles. Pretty sweet!

Dead Man

Dead Man is another Swedish band in the same vein as Graveyard and Witchcraft but more diverse. They have hard rock moments but more of a cool psych and folk rock feel. They have released albums. I have to thank Swede for finding this band as now I really dig them. :D

Radio Moscow

A psychedelic blues rock band from Story City, Iowa. Two albums have been released receiving good reviews.

• 4 months later...

LOVE the Jack! My fave solo is on Consoler's of The Lonely, Many Shades of Black. It soars on the brink of disaster, but just keeps reaching higher and higher. It has a classic blues structure with that dissonant, tension-building struggle that a great solo should have.

I've gotta post this again. IMHO it is one of the most soaring, beautifully constructed solos in modern music. This absorbs every classic Gilmore/Page lesson and creates an amalgam that makes it timeless.

The solo begins around the 3:30 mark and goes about a minute. The song is in the old shuffle style of I'm Gonna Crawl. I take it as a kind of tribute. The original demo of Might Be The End was much more intimate and smokey like I'm gonna Crawl.

Sorry.

Archived