Petty, Heartbreakers To Play Super Bowl Halftime

The Pagemeister

Petty, Heartbreakers To Play Super Bowl Halftime

petty_tom_01l.gif

Tom Petty

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers will play the coveted halftime slot at the Super Bowl in Arizona on Feb. 3. This year, nearly 140 million Americans watched Prince play at the football extravaganza.

Other recent acts have included the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and U2. The most infamous performer was Janet Jackson, who bared her breast during the 2004 event, triggering a bipartisan political crackdown on televised smut.

The National Football League's annual championship game will be held at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, near Phoenix. It will be televised by Fox.

Petty's performance will mark a rare occasion where the veteran rocker is closely aligned with a corporate sponsor, in this case the North American arm of Japanese tire firm Bridgestone Corp, which has lent its name to the halftime event.

Yeah, I saw that advertised during one of the games on Sunday.

Hmmm, interesting choice. Not really a big flashy performer like you would expect.

I thought he was great through Hard Promises (the first 4 albums), used to Love him back then.

His sound is so thin and compressed these days, doesn't do a whole lot for me other than the occassional decent single like "Another Joint".

I'll probably like it if he reaches back to some early stuff like "Even The Losers" or "American Girl." But what are the odds of that?

Yeah, I saw that advertised during one of the games on Sunday.

Hmmm, interesting choice. Not really a big flashy performer like you would expect.

I thought he was great through Hard Promises (the first 4 albums), used to Love him back then.

His sound is so thin and compressed these days, doesn't do a whole lot for me other than the occassional decent single like "Another Joint".

I'll probably like it if he reaches back to some early stuff like "Even The Losers" or "American Girl." But what are the odds of that?

Tom Petty can make a fart sound great in my opinion. The guy has always been talented. It's a shame he doesn't get more credit in this world.

As far as the superbowl is concerned..Maybe they are realizing that the shit they've put on before, have been acts that have sold out, or contributed to the decline of decent music in the first place. Britney Spears and Aerosmith ring any bells?

Archived