Great White from 80s & Zeppelin Covers

Zeppe Fan

This may be old news to some of you but I just heard Jack Russell from Great White cover some zep songs and he does an awesome job

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...ed+Zeppelin.htm

If Jimmy Page is looking for a singer he should give this guy a try

I never cared much for Great White but I will admit to being impressed by their Zep covers. That said, the search for a new singer is evidently over. That and they were apparently never looking for a Plant "soundalike" so that would rule Russell out right there.

I doubt they (Jimmy) were ever serious about finding a new singer and doing something new. If they were, they would have found someone suitable for a new project. You can't tell me there was nobody out there that they could have moved forward with. As a huge fan i'm sad that there is no new music, but not surprised given Jimmy's reluctance to create without Robert.

Jack Russell is probably the closest thing to Plant outside of the Virtual Zeppelin singer. I haven't heard all of the Great White zep covers but they did a tremendous Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You. It's not on this album, but it was on the hard rock radio stations back in the 80s.

Jack Russell is probably the closest thing to Plant outside of the Virtual Zeppelin singer. I haven't heard all of the Great White zep covers but they did a tremendous Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You. It's not on this album, but it was on the hard rock radio stations back in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure that came from an appearance on MTV Unplugged.

I'm pretty sure that came from an appearance on MTV Unplugged.

Yes it did. I was never crazy about their version either. They pretty much did it note for note like Zep's version with all of Robert's mannerisms etc. It was just a carbon copy. They should have at least tried to be creative. Look at Zep's covers over the years and and how they made them unique.

I don't think you'll ever see the words "Great White" and "unique" in the same sentence (or Jack Russell fronting a band featuring Page, Jones and Jason Bonham for that matter). I believe the purpose of that tune was to show their chops as a cover band.

I don't think you'll ever see the words "Great White" and "unique" in the same sentence (or Jack Russell fronting a band featuring Page, Jones and Jason Bonham for that matter). I believe the purpose of that tune was to show their chops as a cover band.

And that's about all they are or bar band.

All I was saying was that Great White turned in such a faithful version because they cut their teeth as a cover band (as most bands do). It was their intention to turn in a version that sounded so close to Zeppelin's. It wasn't like they were trying to put their own spin on it as Zeppelin did with their blues covers.

Well, even Jason Bonham released a Zep cover album. It's the risk you take when you do release an album of nothing but covering one band. People will think you're a tribute act.

To me, since Jason is family, I consider his "In The Name of My Father" album a tribute to his dad and the band. He's not a tribute act to me (especially considering that he performed with Robert, Jimmy and John at the O2 as Led Zeppelin (remembering the big sign behind them flashing brightly at the end of the evening)...

As far as GW is concerned, I've never really been into them. The LZ covers they did were ok, but I never went out and bought any of them (why???, when you can own and hear the original)..

My two cents... :)

R B)

Can't say I ever thought of Great White as a "tribute act" either, the Zeppelin thing was just a way of them acknowledging them as an influence.

Very well stated. Great White has like 20+ albums. They are a good band and have some great straight up Rock&Roll songs. They also like to do covers at their concerts and have released several cover albums; Recovery, Recovery Live, and (I forget the other one), in addition to the 2 Led Zep cover albums. The first one, along with a picture, was listed in this thread and (I think) there is a another one from a cheaper/unknown record company with possible the same songs from the first (but not all), just rearranged and shortened. I have both, so if I get time, I'll compare them to confirm. Either way, they are a good rock&roll band in their own right and can definitely do Led Zep songs justice.

I'm no Great White fan but they did stand out from the other "hair bands" of the day as they weren't just a group of pretty boys churning out songs that bordered on "pop", they actually knew how to rock. I also take deference to the use of the word "bar band" as though it's some kind of an insult. I once described Lynyrd Skynyrd as a "bar band" on one of their boards only to be met by a bunch of pissed off fans who took it as an insult. It's as though they had no knowledge whatsoever of the bands' history or their approach to music in general. I think, taken in the proper context, "bar band" is very complementary. Given today's impersonal enormo-domes there's a lot of artists I'd much rather see in a bar such as Z.Z. Top. There's a reason big groups like the Stones still do the occasional club shows prior to the start of a tour, it's way of connecting with their fans that just doesn't happen when they're playing large arenas.

I'm no Great White fan but they did stand out from the other "hair bands" of the day as they weren't just a group of pretty boys churning out songs that bordered on "pop", they actually knew how to rock. I also take deference to the use of the word "bar band" as though it's some kind of an insult. I once described Lynyrd Skynyrd as a "bar band" on one of their boards only to be met by a bunch of pissed off fans who took it as an insult. It's as though they had no knowledge whatsoever of the bands' history or their approach to music in general. I think, taken in the proper context, "bar band" is very complementary. Given today's impersonal enormo-domes there's a lot of artists I'd much rather see in a bar such as Z.Z. Top. There's a reason big groups like the Stones still do the occasional club shows prior to the start of a tour, it's way of connecting with their fans that just doesn't happen when they're playing large arenas.

I totally agree. I would consider "bar band" as a badge of honor. That certanly was the case for Lynyrd Skynyrd, who were "discovered" by Al Kooper in an Atlanta bar called Funochio's.

Russel has some serious pipes!

more than a few years back I was at my friends house (he was buddies with Russell) I was in his living room playing his guitars and unknown to me Jack showed up and was in the room. I was playing over the hills and far away and he started singing the lyrics - His voice is so powerful and he sounded so awesome I nearly fell off the chair and had to stop playing to see who this incredible voice was. My buddy fell down laughing at the look on my face.

Blech. If you are old enough to have been around when these two bands were coming up the only thing you remember is that they were despised as horrid pretenders. When influences are so great that you don't have your own identity it's not a good thing.

I never cared much for Great White but I will admit to being impressed by their Zep covers. That said, the search for a new singer is evidently over. That and they were apparently never looking for a Plant "soundalike" so that would rule Russell out right there.

Great. Zeppelin as a parody of themselves...Plant would go nuts and criticize Page, Jones, and Bonham.

Finding a singer to sing Zep tunes and new material is fine. Jack Russell would, undoubtely, love to emulate Plant, (He usually does during live shows) but I think Jimmy and John Paul would soil there legacy by touring with Russell, this also would open them to unecessary criticism...especially from the fans and Plant himself.

Archived