Has Clapton Ever Said Anything about Jimmy's playing?"

Ted Servo

I've often wondered what is the relationship of Clapton and Page. Has Clapton ever said what he thinks of him as a guitarist. I know during the ARMS concert, Clapton said he thought Beck was just about his favorite of any at the time. Then again, Page was I think struggling out of his addiction at the time, so he wasn't really playing at his best. Anyone know what Eric thinks of Page and Zeppelin?

I can tell you Ahmet was speaking to Jimmy backstage prior to The Firm's second gig at the Hammersmith Odeon (12/9/84).He told him Eric had seen their show the night before and told him he thought it was very good. Jimmy seemed genuinely pleased to learn of

this and exclaimed "Did he?!" Ahmet elaborated as Jimmy listened intently to the details.

Roy Harper and David Gilmour attended both nights.

From what I've read all of those guys have mutual respect for each other. However the only guitarist's I've actually seen EC gush about were Hendrix and Allman. He typically isn't one to deride another guitarist's playing.

Clapton has always been hugely respectful and complimentary of Pete Townshend as well...

I would have to dig for it but I recall a quote from a guitar mag interviewing Clapton years ago and about the 3 of them onstage at the ARMS tour and why they didn't "duel" it out onstage or something to that effect and Clapton said that it just wouldn't have been fair to Jimmy at the time due to the condition he was in. (He may not have used the word "condition" but that is certainly what was implied).

That's one comment I recall coming to mind.

Think of it from Eric's perspective, though...the last good work he did was when he was in Derek and the Dominos in 1970-1971. Since then he's been horrid...his music is dreck (with a few exceptions). Meanwhile, his good friend Hendrix died but is a legend, and Pete and Jimmy were in the two biggest bands in the world throughout the 1970s, The Who and Led Zeppelin...

I can see where Eric would be bitter! (and Eric's work in Cream/Blind Faith/Derek and the Dominos are among my all-time favorites...)

He mentioned that he rated Jimmy in his autobiography.

Think of it from Eric's perspective, though...the last good work he did was when he was in Derek and the Dominos in 1970-1971. Since then he's been horrid...his music is dreck (with a few exceptions). Meanwhile, his good friend Hendrix died but is a legend, and Pete and Jimmy were in the two biggest bands in the world throughout the 1970s, The Who and Led Zeppelin...

I can see where Eric would be bitter! (and Eric's work in Cream/Blind Faith/Derek and the Dominos are among my all-time favorites...)

Are we talking about the same EC? :huh:

Clapton seemed to keep his negative thoughts to himself, which he documented in his autobiography (his past disgust/envy of Led Zeppelin). I think by the time of the ARMS shows he was over that phase.

i love it! he keeps his thoughts to himself, only in published form.

i thought it was clapton who came off worse through the comparison of the three guitarists at the ARMS gigs. jimmy wasnt in good shape but he was keen. clapton seemed particulalry lame. just my opinion, i know it isnt everyones

Strongly disagree with that.

I would have to dig for it but I recall a quote from a guitar mag interviewing Clapton years ago and about the 3 of them onstage at the ARMS tour and why they didn't "duel" it out onstage or something to that effect and Clapton said that it just wouldn't have been fair to Jimmy at the time due to the condition he was in. (He may not have used the word "condition" but that is certainly what was implied).

That's one comment I recall coming to mind.

Tosser!!! Not you, dear StringBender, but Clapton. Granted, Jimmy was an absolute wreck during these shows but in the London concert I saw on DVD, when the Surrey 3 were all playing together on "Tulsa Time" Jimmy still got off a scorching solo - easily the best of the night.

What's fantastic about his post-Dominos output? It's just my own personal opinion, but I think it's garbage...but before that, he was fantastic...

My personal opinion is he did a lot of great stuff post Derek and the Dominos :) Some of his work in the 80s may have been a bit more pop oriented, but his playing never waivered and I'd hardly use the term garbage to describe it.

My personal opinion is he did a lot of great stuff post Derek and the Dominos :) Some of his work in the 80s may have been a bit more pop oriented, but his playing never waivered and I'd hardly use the term garbage to describe it.

Agreed ninelives! :D

His playing on From The Cradle was as good as anything I've heard from him and he was smokin' when he came through town on his last tour. Of all the classic rock era greats I truly think EC has retained more of his skill than the others, I never get the impression he has to struggle to pull it off. If anything at times it seems like he is holding back and that tends to be the complaint with him. Time has been kind to him.

His playing on From The Cradle was as good as anything I've heard from him and he was smokin' when he came through town on his last tour. Of all the classic rock era greats I truly think EC has retained more of his skill than the others, I never get the impression he has to struggle to pull it off. If anything at times it seems like he is holding back and that tends to be the complaint with him. Time has been kind to him.

E.C. Was Here is also an excellent album. I haven't seen him live in years. Last time was in a small club and he did all blues songs. Was a fantastic night. He tore the roof down.

Tosser!!! Not you, dear StringBender, but Clapton. Granted, Jimmy was an absolute wreck during these shows but in the London concert I saw on DVD, when the Surrey 3 were all playing together on "Tulsa Time" Jimmy still got off a scorching solo - easily the best of the night.

I totally agree on the "Titanic Tulsa Time Tussle"! I really thought Jimmy's solos were more exciting and "rock-y" than Eric and Jeff's. I also loved that the other two had the eighties look going and Jimmy was unrepentantly long haired and stoned. I saw that concert on HBO when I was a kid and it cemented me as a Jimmy fan, even in the state he was clearly in at that time.

I totally agree on the "Titanic Tulsa Time Tussle"! I really thought Jimmy's solos were more exciting and "rock-y" than Eric and Jeff's. I also loved that the other two had the eighties look going and Jimmy was unrepentantly long haired and stoned. I saw that concert on HBO when I was a kid and it cemented me as a Jimmy fan, even in the state he was clearly in at that time.

That was a great moment for Jimmy but I think it had more to do with EC paying it forward, he hadn't forgotten the kindness of his peers when he needed help in '73.

That was a great moment for Jimmy but I think it had more to do with EC paying it forward, he hadn't forgotten the kindness of his peers when he needed help in '73.

Not sure I understand what that has to do with Jimmy's solos on "Tulsa Time"(?)...

Not sure I understand what that has to do with Jimmy's solos on "Tulsa Time"(?)...

It wasn't a solo competition, and usually never is. EC and JB weren't there to "cut heads" with Jimmy, they were just glad to get him back out there because it was obvious he needed help. No doubt Jimmy was excited and it showed in his playing. That's alone of the coolest things about the rock elite, they tend to help each other other. I can't watch that and say (in my best dude voice "Jimmy kicked their asses man"). It was more beautiful than that, it was friends helping friends, not just Jimmy but Ronnie Lane and those with MS. To call it anything else makes something gracious and unifying an ugly thing.

It wasn't a solo competition, and usually never is. EC and JB weren't there to "cut heads" with Jimmy, they were just glad to get him back out there because it was obvious he needed help. No doubt Jimmy was excited and it showed in his playing. That's alone of the coolest things about the rock elite, they tend to help each other other. I can't watch that and say (in my best dude voice "Jimmy kicked their asses man"). It was more beautiful than that, it was friends helping friends, not just Jimmy but Ronnie Lane and those with MS. To call it anything else makes something gracious and unifying an ugly thing.

I think you're reading something I didn't write. I didn't say he kicked their asses, and I know it wasn't intended to be "the guitar olympics" or something. I was having fun when I called it a "tussle".

I love Clapton and I love Beck. My point was that "Tulsa Time" did showcase their three distinctive styles, right down to their respective looks and style on stage. Jimmy's playing and style happened to move me more than Eric or Jeff's. Still does.

I think you're reading something I didn't write. I didn't say he kicked their asses, and I know it wasn't intended to be "the guitar olympics" or something. I was having fun when I called it a "tussle".

I love Clapton and I love Beck. My point was that "Tulsa Time" did showcase their three distinctive styles, right down to their respective looks and style on stage. Jimmy's playing and style happened to move me more than Eric or Jeff's. Still does.

Ah, yeah I may have read more into that than you said. My apologies, it appears we are on the same page. I don't have a problem with what you said either way, just conversing about things. It gets boring at work.

Archived