What are the best bass strings?

LedZep1969

When buying bass strings you need to know both the gauge and scale you're after. Most 4-string players I know use .45-.100s or thereabouts, and long scale is by far the most common scale length. As to brand, that's really a personal preference; I'd suggest trying several brands for a few weeks each until you've found what brand works best with your bass.

• 3 weeks later...

I have for the last year bought RotoSound LD99 Piano Style strings for Juststrings.com $29.95.

Bad ass strings, very hard to put on while switching from another string. But they last very long they are very bright and they play great. Its the same string J.P.J. uses. I just installed some on my ESP bass with two EMG humbuckers and it sounds like nothing else. I used them on my Fender Jazz 24 and they where great too. Im going to switch to a different style string for the Jazz soon. Rotosound is a great brand IMHO.

Tried a few other like Dean Markley Blue Steel. Good

Ernie Balls Okay

Curt Magnums Crap

I always used Roundwound never tried flat wound tho.

I play Tool and liked Jonsey sound after he switch to Alembic basses, so the piano style string are great for that.

I have for the last year bought RotoSound LD99 Piano Style strings for Juststrings.com $29.95.

Bad ass strings, very hard to put on while switching from another string. But they last very long they are very bright and they play great. Its the same string J.P.J. uses. I just installed some on my ESP bass with two EMG humbuckers and it sounds like nothing else. I used them on my Fender Jazz 24 and they where great too. Im going to switch to a different style string for the Jazz soon. Rotosound is a great brand IMHO.

Tried a few other like Dean Markley Blue Steel. Good

Ernie Balls Okay

Curt Magnums Crap

I always used Roundwound never tried flat wound tho.

I play Tool and liked Jonsey sound after he switch to Alembic basses, so the piano style string are great for that.

what size? 40-100?

what size? 40-100?

god i think they are .45 -.105.

you do need the thicker string to get the bass out. I got good wood on the ESP bass, but wished it had a 35in neck i wanted the thwack with the thump. I still get a good amount but do adjust my EQ for more of it, kills tone slightly. May be pedal tho.

the 5 string are .45-130. Not a fan of the top B-string, rather have a bottom C, but than you get into Guitar territory on the sound plane. Jonesy went Bottom-C for the 5-string he uses.

Still, Schism by Tool sounds EPIC on my bass with the LD99. So does 46 and 2. Still trying to figure out Achilles Last Stand. Got the sound, just not the notes.

Archived