Looking for a new amp

Agamemnon

I'm not sure about a good model though, kind of tied between two possible choices.

Marshall MG50DFX vs. Marshall AVT50XT (both 50 watt)

or

Marshall MG100DFX vs. Marshall AVT100XT (both 100 watt)

I'm leaning towards a 50 watt, but it seems both 100w have more features.

Note: I'm not technically in a band, but its definitely coming up, so I'd have a bass player with either 50 or 75w amp, and a drummer. But mostly, I just play in my room, so I think a 100w amp would be too overpowering for such a small space. Also not sure if a 50w would get drowned out by the other instruments/singing.

Unless you are going to perform in large halls, 50 watts is more than enough. Something that is rarely mentioned is that the decibel is a logarithmic unit. You can't add and subtract these like ordinary numbers. 100 watts is going to be perceived by the human ear as roughly a 3dB increase over 50 watts, not twice as loud. However, the more powerful amplifier will give you more headroom before the sound begins to break up. It really depends on what sounds you are trying to achieve.

RB

Edited for spelling error.

Thanks, didn't realize 50 watts was that powerful. Haven't tried any yet, but this really narrows my search. And yeah, the largest place we'd play so far would only be the school auditorium.

BTW, I'd be playing a lot of Zeppelin, Hendrix, Deep Purple, those kind of bands. So I was also wondering which would better for those tones, Zeppelin especially.

Check out the Egnater Rebel 20.

Those MG's tend to sound like garbage, compared to other stuff in the same price range. The avt's are a step up, but still not worth the money. I jam with my buddy who has one regularly. He has to crank to the point of no return to cut through to compete with the Egnater and thats on the 1w setting.

100w could be overkill, but it's not like buying a 100w tube amp. Tube has 3x the perceived output on avg. You don't have to crank solid states for them to perform at their best.

Once I got serious about guitar playing, I switched to tube, but before that, I never took wattage into consideration. A cranked SS amp sounds like crap.

50 watt Marshall will knock the walls down. You dont need 100. No way.

I don't know about knocking the walls down (none of mine ever did), but to some extent it depends on how efficient the loudspeakers are that you have in your cabinet as to how loud you can get.

RB

I don't know about knocking the walls down (none of mine ever did), but to some extent it depends on how efficient the loudspeakers are that you have in your cabinet as to how loud you can get.

RB

Many of my friends (who are pro guitarists) have started using 40 watt combos, like the Fender Hot Rod Blues Deluxe or the 15 watt Fender Blues Jr. An old 50 watt JCM800 will do everything that you'll ever need. The new Marshalls and Mesas are pure junk and won't get you what you're looking for, if diversity is what you're looking for. No, I'm not talking about the Marshall hand wired stuff or the $3000 Mesa, I'm talking about the under $1500 stuff. I use a Line6 30 watt Spider for rehearsals... it works fine, doesn't break my back and sets up in seconds. Check out Traynor YVC40 amps...all tube 40 watts with plenty of headroom, great tone and a killer warranty that run at $600 retail. I have the 80 watt version.

Good luck! :D

Many of my friends (who are pro guitarists) have started using 40 watt combos, like the Fender Hot Rod Blues Deluxe...

Good luck! :D

I've been using the Fender Blues Deluxe (tweed) for over 10 years now, and I couldn't agree more. Superb tone, and unbelievably loud for its rated 40 watts. I gig this amp in a trio with the volume on around 4, and it's plenty in a club environment. I still have a Marshall JCM 800 and 4x12 cabinet, but it has remained dormant since December 1998. The Fender has all I need - that, and my ES335.

RB

Archived