Would You Rather Make Films or Write Novels/Comic Books?

SuzyandtheZodiac

Now, I should first mention that I enjoy both mediums(text and film). And I have a creative urge to tell stories. However, I'm having trouble deciding which path is best to choose. I know the basics of the craft of writing and filming, I just don't know which to expand.

Films, at first glance for me, is the most enjoyable medium for being told a story. But the amount of work and money it takes to even get started on your creative piece is very difficult, even for very low-budgets. Not to mention that the amount of collaboration involved could stifle your original vision. Based on this, I'm not sure yet if I want to pursue a career or even a hobby in filmmaking.

So, theoretically, if you were in my same position, which path seems to have the most creative reward(For pure storytelling)?

So, theoretically, if you were in my same position, which path seems to have the most creative reward(For pure storytelling)?

For pure storytelling? Definitely literature, unless you want to be a screenwriter, a director and a cameraman in one.

I'd happily write novels and novellas til the day I die.

As for screenplays, I've written about 15 in my life. I've finished 7. I would like the opportunity to direct feature films for about 10 years and that's it. Get in, do my thing, contribute to AFI and get out and go back to living a peaceful life.

I'd love to make movies but when I see how much work is involved by watching them film 'GIANT' or the show 'FOYLE'S WAR' I tend to see it as practicing music where hours and hours, days and months are involved for a few minutes of accomplishment.

I used to have an old Bolex 8mm that had just about everything for film making: Slo Mo, Single Frame, Lap Dissolve, etc. Wish I still had it but the cost of 50 feet of film is through the roof. :huh:

Now, I should first mention that I enjoy both mediums(text and film). And I have a creative urge to tell stories. However, I'm having trouble deciding which path is best to choose. I know the basics of the craft of writing and filming, I just don't know which to expand.

Films, at first glance for me, is the most enjoyable medium for being told a story. But the amount of work and money it takes to even get started on your creative piece is very difficult, even for very low-budgets. Not to mention that the amount of collaboration involved could stifle your original vision. Based on this, I'm not sure yet if I want to pursue a career or even a hobby in filmmaking.

My first cousin, now in his late 40's, with a Master's Degree from Brown University...very intelligent, motivated, articulate and sharp. He has been a screenwriter for about 15 years now. He started off his career in advertising. He has sold some work, but he is still waiting for his big break. He has a really exciting project in the works that may be accepted by HBO, and if so, he says he will make his first million! My cousin had a project that was on the table, but never made it due to "the nature of the business" issues, (would have starred Selma Hayak). My cousin has met many Hollywood celebrities, (Nicole Kidman, Selma Hayak, Tom Cruise, etc). I just find this so exciting, and i hope he gets his break soon. I would love to have a celebrity in the family!

My cousin is married with 3 kids and lives in NYC. Despite the difficulty of his career choice, he loves his life!

My advice is try both. He did. He was a writer (won a Harry Truman award and scholarship in High School) and moved on to screenwriting later. If i could do both well, i would pick films! good luck whatever you choose, you are entering a very competitive business!

My advice, coming from an experienced First Assistant Director and Producer: If you want to be a creative storyteller, but you don't like the idea of collaboration, stay away from a film set. The elusive dream of becoming a 'film director' appeals to so many people because of the perceived glamour, but this is false. Filmmaking is not a glamourous profession, unless you are 'talent' (actors). People have NO IDEA how difficult directing a film is. I have worked with many directors, and each individual has a different style, but there is a strong correlation between the ability of a director to delegate and collaborate, and their end result. An under-prepared and ego-driven control freak never, ever makes a good film, despite the gossip and rumour that goes around about the Hollywood greats. Making a film, even a small film, to a high standard, is IMPOSSIBLE without the support of cast and crew.

The talk of 'stifled original visions' is B.S. If you want to create something exactly as you have it in your head, become an animator, and lock yourself away for a year drawing every single frame. If you want to work in film, realise that you are working in the real, human world, where human interaction is compulsory. Not only that, but think about it - the 'great' films are without fail always the result of successful collaboration. I see your signature has a picture of Kubrick. While the popular myth, propelled by the 50-year old 'auteur theory', has it that Kubrick was a hermit and a control freak, he was anything but. His career was almost completely comprised of collaboration - with writers (all of his best films were adaptations of other work, and usually with the help of other screenwriters), with cinematographers, intensely close relationships with actors, Assistant Directors and his personal staff of assistants.

Unfortunately, the film industry is permeated by an under-culture of amateurism, people who habitually complain about how difficult it is to 'make it', and bitching that nobody understands 'their vision' or is willing to bankroll their opus. This is an easy way for these amateurs to cover for the fact that they have little talent, or are trying to tell stories that are boring or self-indulgent.

For some reason, these amateurs think that they are entitled to high-level success from the start. Creating for yourself a career as a film director is like having aspirations to be the CEO of a multi-million dollar company. The ones who make it aren't the ones who walked straight out of college expecting to be the boss. The ones who make it are those who are prepared to do years and years of hard work, in low-level positions, working their way up in the business, making contacts and developing their skills.

Having said all of that, I have just finished a feature film, and I am looking for scripts to make for my next one. If anyone who aspires cares to send me what they have, I would be more than happy to take a look.

Archived