2009 Grammy Awards

The Pagemeister

Hi:

I saw an ad today for the Grammy Nominess CD..I have the day off work so I went to the store to find this CD.. Please Read the Letter is included...but I don't like most of the other tunes..

I heard another announcement about the performers..I see the Taylor Swift will do a duet with Miley Cyrus...

With all the young performers I wonder if Robert and Alison will feel like chaperones at this show on Sunday?

Juliet

PS So why isn't Madonna on the show...something wrong with older women now?

Gee, talk about jumping to conclusions. I don't know why Madonna is not performing. Maybe she's not nominated. Maybe she wasn't asked. Who knows, who cares. Madonna stopped being relevant about 20 years ago.

PS So why isn't Madonna on the show...something wrong with older women now?

Maybe she's not nominated.

http://www.grammy.com/grammy_awards/GRAMMY_Live.aspx

3 Days

Welcome to the live stream of the non-televised portion of the 51st Annual GRAMMY Awards — the GRAMMY Awards Pre-Telecast. The stream will launch at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT on Feb. 8 , and nearly 100 categories of GRAMMY Awards will be announced during the presentation. Your hosts will be Wayne Brady and Tia Carrere and live music performances will be featured. Then, for the next month, the entire Pre-Telecast will be available here on-demand for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks for visiting and "celebrating the music that makes us," and don't forget to tune in to the GRAMMY Awards telecast live at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS!

Category 8

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

(For a collaborative performance, with vocals, by artists who do not normally perform together. Singles or Tracks only.)

Lesson Learned

Alicia Keys & John Mayer

Track from: As I Am

[J Records]

4 Minutes

Madonna, Justin Timberlake & Timbaland

Track from: Hard Candy

[Warner Bros.]

Rich Woman

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

Track from: Raising Sand

[Rounder]

If I Never See Your Face Again

Rihanna & Maroon 5

Track from: Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded

[Def Jam and also A&M/Octone]

No Air

Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown

Track from: Jordin Sparks

[Jive]

Category 12

Best Dance Recording

(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances. Vocal or Instrumental. Singles or tracks only.)

Harder Better Faster Stronger

Daft Punk

Thomas Bangalter & Guy Manuel de Homem-Christo, producers; Thomas Bangalter & Guy Manuel de Homem-Christo, mixers

Track from: Alive 2007

[Virgin Records]

Ready For The Floor

Hot Chip

Hot Chip, producers; Dan Carey, mixer

Track from: Made In The Dark

[Astralwerks/DFA]

Just Dance

Lady Gaga & Colby O'Donis

RedOne, producer; Robert Orton, mixer

[streamline/Interscope/Kon Live]

Give It 2 Me

Madonna

Madonna & The Neptunes, producers; Andrew Coleman & Spike Stent, mixers

Track from: Hard Candy

[Warner Bros.]

Disturbia

Rihanna

Brian Kennedy, producer; Phil Tan, mixer

Track from: Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded

[Def Jam]

Black & Gold

Sam Sparro

Jesse Rogg & Sam Sparro, producers; Jeremy Wheatley, mixer

Track from: Sam Sparro

[universal Republic Records]

Category 94

Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical

(A Remixer's Award. (Artists names appear in parentheses for identification.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Closer (StoneBridge Radio Edit)

StoneBridge, remixer (Ne-Yo)

[Def Jam]

Electric Feel (Justice Remix)

Justice, remixers (MGMT)

Track from: Oracular Spectacular

[Columbia]

4 Minutes (Junkie XL Remix)

Junkie XL, remixer (Madonna Featuring Justin Timberlake)[Warner Bros.]

Just Fine (Moto Blanco Remix)

Moto Blanco, remixers (Mary J. Blige)

Track from: Growing Pains

[Geffen]

The Longest Road (Deadmau5 Remix)

Deadmau5, remixer (Morgan Page Featuring Lissie)

Track from: Elevate

[Nettwerk]

Additional Performers Announced

February 5, 2009

Neil Diamond, B.B. King, John Mayer, M.I.A., Smokey Robinson, Keith Urban, and Stevie Wonder added to 51st GRAMMY lineup

GRAMMY.com

Two-time GRAMMY winner and current GRAMMY nominee Terence Blanchard, GRAMMY winner and 2009 MusiCares Person of the Year Neil Diamond, current nominee M.I.A., GRAMMY winner Smokey Robinson, current nominee Robin Thicke, 2009 Recording Academy Trustees Award recipient Allen Toussaint, 25-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee Stevie Wonder, and a tribute to Bo Diddley featuring current nominees Buddy Guy, B.B. King, John Mayer, and Keith Urban are the next round of performers announced for the 51st Annual GRAMMY Awards.

They join previously announced performers Adele; Chris Brown; Kenny Chesney; Coldplay; Estelle and Kanye West; Jennifer Hudson; Jonas Brothers; Kid Rock; Lil Wayne; Paul McCartney (with special guest drummer Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters); Katy Perry; Robert Plant & Alison Krauss; Radiohead; Rihanna; Sugarland; Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift; T.I. and Justin Timberlake; U2; Carrie Underwood; a Four Tops Tribute featuring Abdul "Duke" Fakir (2009 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient and original member of the Four Tops), Jamie Foxx and Ne-Yo; and Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, T.I., and Kanye West in a special performance of their hit single "Swagga Like Us."

Actress Kate Beckinsale, a reunited Blink-182, eight-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee Natalie Cole, GRAMMY winner Sean "Diddy" Combs, actress/musician Zooey Deschanel, Academy Award winner Morgan Freeman, three-time GRAMMY winner Green Day, actor Dwayne Johnson, five-time GRAMMY winner John Legend, current GRAMMY nominee Leona Lewis, two-time GRAMMY winner LL Cool J, current GRAMMY nominee Jason Mraz, actress Emily Procter from "CSI: Miami," two-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee LeAnn Rimes, and three-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee will.i.am are the latest presenters announced for Music's Biggest Night.

Previously announced presenters include actor Simon Baker from CBS' "The Mentalist," actor/musician Jack Black, nine-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee Sheryl Crow, current three-time GRAMMY nominee Duffy, talk show host Craig Ferguson from CBS' "The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson," nine-time GRAMMY winner and current nominee Al Green, current nominee Josh Groban, three-time GRAMMY-winning jazz musician and current nominee Charlie Haden, actor Samuel L. Jackson, actor Jay Mohr from CBS' "Gary Unmarried," Academy Award-winning actress and current GRAMMY nominee Gwyneth Paltrow, GRAMMY winner Queen Latifah, and rapper and current nominee T-Pain.

Mayer has five nominations: Best Male Pop Vocal Performance and Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media for "Say"; Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals for "Lesson Learned" with Alicia Keys; Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance for "Gravity"; and Best Long Form Music Video for Where The Light Is — Live In Los Angeles.

Lewis and will.i.am each are up for three awards. Lewis is nominated for Record Of The Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for "Bleeding Love," and Best Pop Vocal Album for Spirit. Will.i.am has nods for Song Of The Year for "American Boy" with Keith Harris, Josh Lopez, Caleb Speir, John Stephens, Estelle Swaray, & Kanye West, Best Urban/Alternative Performance for "Be OK" with Chrissette Michele, and Producer Of The Year.

Mraz has two nods for Song Of The Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "I'm Yours."

Blanchard, Cole, Guy, King, M.I.A., Rimes, Thicke, Urban, and Wonder each are nominated. Blanchard has a nomination for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo for "Be-Bop." Guy and King each have a nod in the Best Traditional Blues Album category — Guy for Skin Deep and King for One Kind Favor. M.I.A. garnered a nomination in Record Of The Year for "Paper Planes." Rimes is nominated for Best Female Country Vocal Performance for "What I Cannot Change." Thicke earned a nod for Album Of The Year as an artist and producer on Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III. Urban is up for Best Country Collaboration With Vocals for "Let The Wind Chase You" with Trisha Yearwood. Wonder has a nomination for Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals for "Never Give You Up" with Raphael Saadiq and CJ Hilton.

As previously announced, this year's "My GRAMMY Moment" segment on the telecast gives music fans an opportunity to virtually share music's biggest stage with current GRAMMY nominee Katy Perry. Produced in partnership with CBS.com, music fans can upload a 30- to 60-second video of themselves singing along to a portion of Perry's "I Kissed A Girl" to www.cbs.com/grammys through Feb. 6. Videos will be voted on by fans and the public at-large, and the most popular videos will be shown as part of Perry's performance on Music's Biggest Night.

Additionally, The 51st Annual GRAMMY Awards Pre-Telecast ceremony will take place from 1–3:45 p.m. PT at the Los Angeles Convention Center and will be streamed live internationally. Hosting and performing at the Pre-Telecast will be current GRAMMY nominees Wayne Brady and Tia Carrere, with additional live performances by Latin GRAMMY-winning folk/jazz singer and current nominee Lila Downs, GRAMMY-winning classical artist and current nominee Hilary Hahn, and current GRAMMY nominee Heavy D. Presenting GRAMMY Awards in nearly 100 categories will be four-time GRAMMY-winning gospel singer Yolanda Adams, producer/host of the syndicated "Millennium Of Music" radio show Robert Aubry Davis, GRAMMY-winning songwriter/producer Lamont Dozier, GRAMMY-winning children's folk artists Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer, comedian Alex Raymundo, and actor Blair Underwood. The live stream of the Pre-Telecast will remain on GRAMMY.com for on-demand viewing for 30 days following the event.

The 51st GRAMMY Awards will take place live on Sunday, Feb. 8, at Staples Center in Los Angeles and will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 Surround Sound on the CBS Television Network from 8–11:30 p.m. (ET/PT). The show also will be supported on radio via Westwood One worldwide, and covered online at GRAMMY.com and CBS.com, on Twitter at "theGRAMMYs," on Facebook at "The Recording Academy," on YouTube at "51stGRAMMYs," and on Last.fm at "the51stgrammys."

http://www.grammy.com/

Not sure why they would feel like chaperones at the show?

I don't know why Madonna isn't on the show - maybe she was asked and opted out or maybe they didn't want her performing. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with her age.

NL:

I thought she might be there to present an award...

Juliet

PS Re my comment about chaperones..I was trying to be a bit funny...afterall there are alot of younger artists compared to the over 30 group now...no big deal...I'll try to watch the show but I'll be working this weekend so not sure if I will catch the whole gig

NL:

I thought she might be there to present an award...

Juliet

PS Re my comment about chaperones..I was trying to be a bit funny...afterall there are alot of younger artists compared to the over 30 group now...no big deal...I'll try to watch the show but I'll be working this weekend so not sure if I will catch the whole gig

No worries - I was just curious. Sorry I missed the chaperone joke!

^^ LOL they will probably feel like chaperones, since many of the performers and other nominees are much younger! Anyways, I think it will be such a treat to see them on live TV, I mean when have we ever seen Robert performing live on an awards show? I know I haven't, so I am very excited. You see many of the others more frequently, so getting to see him and Alison is extra special, I think. B)

Rush keeps Grammy hope alive

By JANE STEVENSON – Sun Media

rush256.jpg

Rush

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

That’s been the track record for Toronto prog-rock veterans Rush, who have been nominated for a best rock instrumental Grammy five times previously and never won.

Rush will compete in the same category again at tonight’s Grammy Awards. Their nominated song this time is Hope (Live for the Art of Peace), from Songs for Tibet: The Art of Peace.

Singer-bassist-keyboardist Geddy Lee isn’t holding his breath that the trio, rounded out by guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart, will actually win this time.

“I think this is our sixth nomination — we’re, like, the Susan Luccis of rock ’n’ roll,” Lee quipped during a recent chat. “Usually, we get beat by the most unlikely person — last year, Bruce Springsteen beat us.”

Rush was on tour for their 2006 studio disc Snakes & Arrows when they were approached by Rupert Hine, who had produced the band’s 1989 album Presto, about contributing a track to the Tibet compilation.

“We remembered this acoustic track Alex plays live and is different every night, he sort of improvises on it, so we thought that would be an easy and beautiful solution to the problem,” Lee said. “We just recorded it live and sent it to them.”

It is a prolific time for Rush. They released a live DVD/CD of the Snakes & Arrows tour last November. Still to come is the March 3 release of Retrospective III, a greatest-hits package that will include newly remixed tracks, live versions of songs, plus Rush’s appearance on U.S. television for the first time in 30 years on The Colbert Report, on which they performed Tom Sawyer.

“There’s something about hard rock bands and prog bands — you know, bands that play more adventurous rock — that never seem to come off, in my view, as authentic on those night-time TV shows,” Lee said.

“We just weren’t comfortable with the environment, so over the years we’ve never bothered to do them. But we’re huge fans of Colbert’s, and when a comedy show asks you, that’s a whole different thing. As we get older, we seem more interested in the comedic aspects of our job than the musical. It’s in keeping with our new motto of ‘Less music, more comedy.’ ”

Lee said the band particularly got a kick out of the running gag on Colbert’s show that showed a Rush photo whenever they ran a Rush Limbaugh story.

“So it was a funny idea that grew a little out of control, and then of course when we did the show, it was quite a hoot.”

Historically, Rus h long has been a favourite of comedy shows — from SCTV to South Park.

“The three of us, the one thing that bonds us, more than anything else, is our sense of humour,” said Lee, who is currently a fan of Flight of the Conchords, The Family Guy and The Sarah Silverman Show. “And the fact some reasons all these fans of ours over the last 30 years have found their way into every kind of walk of life, including making comedy shows, we get these kinds of requests all the time. I just think it’s awesome.”

Meanwhile, none of Rush’s three members is expected to attend the Grammys tonight. The band is enjoying an extended break and aren’t likely to be back in studio until next year.

That doesn’t mean Lee won’t be watching or at least recording the ceremony.

“We try not to put too much emphasis on that kind of stuff, but at the same time it’s always a huge compliment, so you do get excited when something like that happens,” he said. “It’s certainly better than being ignored.”

Gee, talk about jumping to conclusions. I don't know why Madonna is not performing. Maybe she's not nominated. Maybe she wasn't asked. Who knows, who cares. Madonna stopped being relevant about 20 years ago.

You might want to correct that to 11 years.

Madonna's "Ray of Light", 1998, was her most critically aclaimed release and a few statistics back that up. Granted, I'm talking about real numbers, and objective reference not a subjective one.

Since Raising Sand is so big on this site I'll use it in a comparison.

"Ray of Light" debuted at number two on the U.S. Billboard Top 200 albums chart, where it sold 371,000 copies in its first week. It went on to be certified quadruple platinum.

"Raising Sand" is a collaboration album by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Released on October 23, 2007, the album debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200 chart, selling about 112,000 copies in its first week. It has been certified platinum (singular) as of now.

So respectively, that's 3 times the sales in it's first week over the Plant/Krauss collaboration, and over 4 times the sales in total. Of course that can change soon, especially after the Grammy's when many more will go out and buy Raising Sand.

This is provided for perspective only, not to say Madonna's music is as good as Plant/Krauss, but that would only be opinion. The above are facts.

You might want to correct that to 11 years.

Madonna's "Ray of Light", 1998, was her most critically aclaimed release and a few statistics back that up. Granted, I'm talking about real numbers, and objective reference not a subjective one.

Since Raising Sand is so big on this site I'll use it in a comparison.

"Ray of Light" debuted at number two on the U.S. Billboard Top 200 albums chart, where it sold 371,000 copies in its first week. It went on to be certified quadruple platinum.

"Raising Sand" is a collaboration album by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Released on October 23, 2007, the album debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200 chart, selling about 112,000 copies in its first week. It has been certified platinum (singular) as of now.

So respectively, that's 3 times the sales in it's first week over the Plant/Krauss collaboration, and over 4 times the sales in total. Of course that can change soon, especially after the Grammy's when many more will go out and buy Raising Sand.

This is provided for perspective only, not to say Madonna's music is as good as Plant/Krauss, but that would only be opinion. The above are facts.

Question - and I don't know the answer- In 1998 was it possible to download, either legally or illegally, songs and albums and to the same extent as we can today? I suspect that no one will ever hit the sales levels today as they did in the years pre-digital downloads. I also don't think that they will ever be able to accurately count records sales the same even attempting to count legal downloads. Especially since a consumer can now pick and choose their own singles. Previously if you liked a few songs off an album, you purchased the album. Now you purchase those songs. To try and compare album sales from the 1990's to current album sales now is impossible. It's apples to oranges .

Question - and I don't know the answer- In 1998 was it possible to download, either legally or illegally, songs and albums and to the same extent as we can today? I suspect that no one will ever hit the sales levels today as they did in the years pre-digital downloads. I also don't think that they will ever be able to accurately count records sales the same even attempting to count legal downloads. Especially since a consumer can now pick and choose their own singles. Previously if you liked a few songs off an album, you purchased the album. Now you purchase those songs. To try and compare album sales from the 1990's to current album sales now is impossible. It's apples to oranges .

I don't think there was downloading in 1998 or certainly not to the extent there is today. But you raised some very good and valid points here.

You are correct CD sales are a pittance now to what they were in the prior decade

I know that nowadays they include legal downloads in their sales talley's in some form or fashion. But my earlier point was about the "relevance" of Madonna within the last 20 years, Ray of Light specifically.

And I also mentioned sales numbers with positive critical acclaim which bare no correlation with each other, necessarily. I should have been clearer.

Personally, not considering how much money is made, but I'd rather have 250,000 album sales vs. 1,000,000 single sales. If I spent time as an artist assembling a collective piece of work, I'd feel slighted knowing people only wanted singles as in downloads. Don't butcher my art!!!!!!

Jay-Z, Lil’ Wayne, Paul McCartney, Radiohead, T.I., Justin Timberlake and Kanye West have been added to the Grammys performing lineup on Feb. 8 in L.A. (CBS/Global). Jay-Z, Lil’ Wayne, T.I. and Kanye West will perform their hit Swagga Like Us, McCartney will be backed by Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters on drums, Radiohead will deliver their first U.S. performance since 2000; and Timberlake will be paired with T.I.

They all join previously announced performers and nominees Kenny Chesney, Coldplay, Jennifer Hudson, Jonas Brothers, Katy Perry and Carrie Underwood.

Lil’ Wayne leads this year’s Grammy nominees with eight nods while Jay-Z and Kanye West each have six nominations. Radiohead has five nods, T.I is up for four awards, McCartney has two nods and Justin Timberlake is up for one award.

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" Can you believe it, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are the winners of FIVE GRAMMY AWARDS INCLUDING ALBUM OF THE YEAR! WOW, this is BIG news! Congratulations Robert and Alison, well deserved. ROCK ON!

My thoughts on the 2009 Grammy's:

Enjoyed "I Saw Her Standing There" with Sir Paul & Co......

Miley Cryus aka Hanna Montana sang a duet with Carrie Underwood. Carrie Underwood I like....

Miley is just fake as can be...Whe she was siging, she kept squinting... her face looked just like the girl in Silence of The Lanms suqinting singing along to "American Girl"... Miley, I'll always think of the girl from Silence Of The Lambs, when you pretend to sing.... :lol:

Don't know what Coldplay is all about.... A Pop Rock Band ... ? ? ? I'll just listen to some Beatles instead...

I guess the Jonas Bros. can actually play guitar ? ? ... but their gutiars were carefully turned down enough where you couldn't really hear a note they were air-guitaring.

My fav part of the show, which I wish would have gone on with just that act for the rest of the evening, was Neil Diamond.

t1home.plant.krauss.gi.jpg

Here are the Grammy Awards presented during the telecast:

Best R&B album: "Jennifer Hudson," Jennifer Hudson

Best country performance by a duo or group with vocals: "Say," Sugarland

Song of the year: "Viva La Vida," Coldplay

Best pop collaboration with vocals: "Rich Woman," Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Best rock album: "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," Coldplay

Best new artist: Adele

Record of the year: "Please Read The Letter," Alison Krauss and Robert Plant

Best male pop vocal: "Say," John Mayer

Best rap album: "Tha Carter III," Lil Wayne

Album of the year: "Raising Sand," Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

My thoughts on the 2009 Grammy's:

Enjoyed "I Saw Her Standing There" with Sir Paul & Co......

Miley Cryus aka Hanna Montana sang a duet with Carrie Underwood. Carrie Underwood I like....

Miley is just fake as can be...Whe she was siging, she kept squinting... her face looked just like the girl in Silence of The Lanms suqinting singing along to "American Girl"... Miley, I'll always think of the girl from Silence Of The Lambs, when you pretend to sing.... :lol:

Don't know what Coldplay is all about.... A Pop Rock Band ... ? ? ? I'll just listen to some Beatles instead...

I guess the Jonas Bros. can actually play guitar ? ? ... but their gutiars were carefully turned down enough where you couldn't really hear a note they were air-guitaring.

My fav part of the show, which I wish would have gone on with just that act for the rest of the evening, was Neil Diamond.

Actually that was Taylor Swift she was singing with. I enjoyed Sir Paul and Neil Diamond too. :)

Hi:

I saw Robert accepting an award but I missed R&A and the band's performance...turned it off during the Jay Z etc song...back on in time to hear Sir Paul.....with Dave Grohl on drums...great...

45 years ago....It was a Sunday night...The Ed Sullivan show....I think The Beatles played the same tune...talk about a deja vu experience for me......

Juliet :coffee:

PS Check out the Toronto Star on-line review http://www.thestar.com/

I watched all that was shown. My first nit-pick of the night was many of those that performed can't sing for shit. Seriously there were many pitchy and wobbly vocal "performances" that couldn't be saved by all the auto tune in the world. How these people get record deals baffles me.

Surprisingly I really enjoyed some performances I probably would have poo-poo'd if I was asked before the show. Carrie Underwood was pretty darn good. She looked sexy, sang in tune and had a smokin' band, the woman guitarist in her band wailing on the PRS was great too. Kid Rock was good as well, he has a great band, those guitarists are killer.

Some more observations.

Keith Urban had GREAT tone and played some really tasty stuff during the Al Green performance.

John Mayer is a stage hog who likes to overplay, he stepped all over BB King and did it with a stupid look on his face. I was glad when Buddy Guy busted out those tasty blues lines that shut Mayer up, even if it was temporary. BTW Buddy Guy with a Les Paul in hands was a very cool thing. Keith Urban was a gentleman and kept it in the background even though he likely has the best chops of that bunch, now.

Neil Diamond turned the worst performance I've ever seen from him, it was the spoken word version of a classic tune, terrible. Neil you are the Jazz Singer not the Jazz Talker.

Dave Grohl, dude is starting to be a starfucker. Seriously Dave if you're gonna be behind the kit make an effort to live up to your rep or stay home. It's starting to appear like drums are no longer your first instrument. His battering on the Beatles classic made me appreciate Ringo even more than I already do, he was the master of tasteful understated drumming.

Kanye you can't sing or rap, go away.

Whitney is still using.

Jay Bellerose is freakin' a-ma-zing. I love the tone he gets out of that old kit. He is a drummer's drummer.

Are we supposed to be happy Blink 182 is "back"?

I thought it was a disgrace that Stevie Wonder was sharing the stage with the Jonas Brothers. I wish teenage girls would get better taste in performers so the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with boy bands like the Jonas Borthers.

Congrats to Robert for winning all those Grammies. I am sure it reinforces his choice about not reuniting with Jimmy and John though.

I think it looks silly for a 60 something year old man to be singing "i saw her standing there". And paul should stop dying his hair.

I thought it was a disgrace that Stevie Wonder was sharing the stage with the Jonas Brothers. I wish teenage girls would get better taste in performers so the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with boy bands like the Jonas Borthers.

Congrats to Robert for winning all those Grammies. I am sure it reinforces his choice about not reuniting with Jimmy and John though.

I think it looks silly for a 60 something year old man to be singing "i saw her standing there". And paul should stop dying his hair.

:mellow:

Thanks for the correction.....

taylor_swift2.jpg

Bea-utiful :)

No problem! I like Taylor and think she is pretty cool. B)

I watched all that was shown. My first nit-pick of the night was many of those that performed can't sing for shit. Seriously there were many pitchy and wobbly vocal "performances" that couldn't be saved by all the auto tune in the world. How these people get record deals baffles me.

Surprisingly I really enjoyed some performances I probably would have poo-poo'd if I was asked before the show. Carrie Underwood was pretty darn good. She looked sexy, sang in tune and had a smokin' band, the woman guitarist in her band wailing on the PRS was great too. Kid Rock was good as well, he has a great band, those guitarists are killer.

Some more observations.

Keith Urban had GREAT tone and played some really tasty stuff during the Al Green performance.

John Mayer is a stage hog who likes to overplay, he stepped all over BB King and did it with a stupid look on his face. I was glad when Buddy Guy busted out those tasty blues lines that shut Mayer up, even if it was temporary. BTW Buddy Guy with a Les Paul in hands was a very cool thing. Keith Urban was a gentleman and kept it in the background even though he likely has the best chops of that bunch, now.

Neil Diamond turned the worst performance I've ever seen from him, it was the spoken word version of a classic tune, terrible. Neil you are the Jazz Singer not the Jazz Talker.

Dave Grohl, dude is starting to be a starfucker. Seriously Dave if you're gonna be behind the kit make an effort to live up to your rep or stay home. It's starting to appear like drums are no longer your first instrument. His battering on the Beatles classic made me appreciate Ringo even more than I already do, he was the master of tasteful understated drumming.

Kanye you can't sing or rap, go away.

Whitney is still using.

Jay Bellerose is freakin' a-ma-zing. I love the tone he gets out of that old kit. He is a drummer's drummer.

Are we supposed to be happy Blink 182 is "back"?

Agree with most of this, except a bit unkind to John Mayer. And I think the thing about Blink 182 was just that their drummer (is that what he is?) was still alive after the crash. I expect he's happy, anyway! :D

My question is, what made Carrie Underwood's song "country"? :unsure:

45 years ago....It was a Sunday night...The Ed Sullivan show....I think The Beatles played the same tune...talk about a deja vu experience for me......

That's pretty cool... had no idea about that!

Agree with most of this, except a bit unkind to John Mayer. And I think the thing about Blink 182 was just that their drummer (is that what he is?) was still alive after the crash. I expect he's happy, anyway! :D

My question is, what made Carrie Underwood's song "country"? :unsure:

Sorry about the Mayer thing but I truly believe he needs to learn some stage manners. Every time he gets on stage with BB he acts like it's the head cutting scene in Crossroads. It's not like he's still a noob, you'd think that as long as he's been around he would calm down a bit and respect people like BB.

Travis Barker is Blink 182's drummer and he's actually very talented as well as being fortunate to still be alive. However I like him better in his other projects. My point was Blink wasn't all that great the first time, it's tough to get excited about them regrouping. I doubt it will last very long, Hoppus and DeLonge didn't look excited to be in each other's company. I should be ashamed I know that much about B-182 :).

Yeah Carrie's song definitely wasn't country, that's probably why I liked it, most modern country sucks. If she did an entire album of that type of stuff I'd be interested.

Archived