JPJ Strawbs session 1969

widget

Anyone have any information regarding John Paul Jones appearing on The Strawbs 1969 debut album? Apparently he did a session for them in May 1969 adding bass and perhaps keyboards.

Still looking into it, but apparently he and Nicky Hopkins are credited on album sleeve.

The Strawbs (studio album) released in 1969

Track Listings Side 1

1. The Man Who Called Himself Jesus (3:41)

2. That Which Once Was Mine (2:48)

3. All The Little Ladies (2:15)

4. Pieces Of 79 And 15 (2:56)

5. Tell Me What You See In Me (4:58)

6. Oh How She Changed (2:50)

Side 2

7. Or Am I Dreaming (2:25)

8. Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth (3:04)

9. Poor Jimmy Wilson (2:33)

10. Where Am I / I'll Show You Where To Sleep (3:25)

11. The Battle (6:30)

Total Time: 37:25

Line-up/Musicians - Dave Cousins / vocals, guitar

- Tony Hooper / vocals, guitars

- Ron Chesterman / double bass

I now believe the session wasn't in May. The Strawbs official site is incorrect. During May, the band were in the States, so the session may have been in April. Any confirmation of dates would be welcome.

Coincidence that John Paul Jones played on a track called "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" while John Paul Joans performed on a track called "The Man from Nazareth".

I know Jones played bass on "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus". He may have also contributed to other tracks, but I don't know if he played any keyboards (I thought that was just Nicky Hopkins?)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The Strawbs return to the Sellersville Theatre with release of lost album

By Rob Nagy

Journal Register News Service

"After more than four decades since the Strawbs recorded what was to be their debut album, founding member Dave Cousins is offering fans a chance to hear this historic and previously unreleased work. The recording features John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Nikki Hopkins (Rolling Stones), Ray Cooper (Elton John) and Ronnie Verel (Ted Heath Orchestra).

"This is the lost Strawbs album,” says Cousins.“The album that never was. What I’ve done now is to recreate that album, put it together, and it’s now out and it’s called “Of A Time.” It’s the Strawbs, as you’ve never heard it.

“I went back to the original tapes. I hadn’t revisited this music in 40 years. We re-mastered them, and it really expanded the sound of the songs. They are majestic. I often wondered had it come out at that time would it have been a monster hit record? I don’t think so".

http://www.pottsmerc.com/article/20120906/ENTERTAINMENT04/120909719/the-strawbs-return-to-the-sellersville-theatre-with-release-of-lost-album

I wrote to Dick Greener who manages the Strawbs' website, and this is his response:

Whilst some of the songs survived and came out on Strawbs in 1969, others were found elsewhere (but not necessarily in the versions which appear), the album as a whole was lost in that it never came out looking like it was intended to.

I want to thank him for the time he took to respond to my inquiry.

Did you ask him which songs feature JPJ? ;)

Mr. Greener responded this morning:

"Checked with Dave - he says the following:

Jesus

Dream Of Your Youth

Just The Same In Every Way

Stay Awhile

And You Need Me

Whichever Way The Wind Blows"

Thanks again to Mr. Dick Greener for taking the time to respond to my email.

Riffs, Rants & Rumours: The Strawbs Story – From Prog Rockers to Acoustic Alchemists

Published by Jim Allen on September 19, 2012

ourstage.com

“There we were with the two most successful producers of the 1970s working together,” says Strawbs leader Dave Cousins, recalling the initial sessions for his band’s first proper album. The producers in question are Gus Dudgeon, who helmed all of Elton John’s biggest albums, and Tony Visconti, whose work helped make stars of David Bowie and T. Rex. Unfortunately, the punchline that finds parallels throughout The Strawbs’ career is that the band’s aforementioned sessions took place in 1968, when both producers were unknown quantities. The original version of what would become 1969’s Strawbs was scrapped by an unhappy record exec, and the band was made to start over again.

It’s part of a phenomenon that’s practically a running joke in Strawbs lore — for instance, the bass player on those ill-fated sessions happened to be a young John Paul Jones, but in that pre-Led Zeppelin period, the name impressed no one. At the start of the ‘70s, The Strawbs’ acquisition of hotshot keyboardist Rick Wakeman hastened a move towards prog rock, but Wakeman would soon depart to fulfill his true prog destiny with Yes, leaving Cousins and company in the lurch.

continue reading: http://www.ourstage.com/blog/2012/09/19/riffs-rants-rumours-the-strawbs-story-from-prog-rockers-to-acoustic-alchemists/

Archived