1969 The Year That Defined An Era

BUCK'EYE' DOC

It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on it who lived through the times (the hippies). Often as much as they are nostalgic about a lot of it, they do admit there were a lot of dark times as well because a lot of the images portrayed was more peace and love etc.

It was fun while it lasted until reality slammed me in the face. :D

I think my brother got some of that shit. We really thought he was going to die. :o

Many did. Plenty were left scared for years. Around here it was being sold as Orange Sunshine, Orange Barrel. Mind you, it did bring an end to the two Drug Stores that were prominent at the time in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver The Last Chance Saloon was raided and The Free Store suspiciously burned down. After that happened, some real heavy shit started hitting the streets..Cocaine lased with draino as an example.

For the most part though, Altamont was an abberation. Most big fests were fairly peaceful and succesful, at least in the music sense and fun gatherings. They were always fringe problems, but not the magnitude of Altamont.

I think the underlining reason why Altamont failed was the attitudes of all those involved. The crowd was completely out of control from the beginning. Rumor has it a bad dose of LSD was the reason behind several members getting unruly early on. You throw in the Angels, who don't take shit from anyone, and you have a multaph cocktail brewing. The Stones performance wasn't the only one with conflict, it was just the most infamous because someone was actually killed.

I think Altamont showed the fatigue in the whole movement. Hard drugs had taken their stanglehold on the scene and attitudes had changed, worsened with 1968 and the war. The dream that had been established in 1965 was quickly unraveling and showing its true colors: no one had a real clue where to go by 1969.

Well I have to somewhat disagree as I think Altimont was at the very least, signaling the end and Isle Of Wight confirmed it.

For some reason what sticks out in my mind most about the Isle Of Wight concert was the technician changing Keith Moon's busted bass drum head right in the middle of the song. :D

One of the biggest misconceptions the entire "Berkeley Society" of the Hippie Movement had was the mindset of the Angels. They constantly applauded their rebelliousness towards the San Fran Police and continually assumed wrong they were aligned with the Hippie Movement when in fact the Angels were always and will always be about one thing: themselves.

Can you say Ken Kesey?

B)

Sonny Barger's autobio has a decent take on Altamont. While I don't necessarily agree with both sides about what exactly happened, I do agree with Barger on one key point: If you expect the Hell's Angels to bounce your party and roll over when they feel disrespected, you're an absolute fool to have them there to begin with.

There were no winners, only casualities at Altamont. Human and cultural.

I have the book 'Freewheelin' Frank' by Hells Angel Frank Reynolds. He died in 2003.

To me, his book is the ultimate portrayal of the Angels.

I also read Eric Burdon's book: 'I Used To Be An Animal: But I'm Alright Now' and he talks about when he was at the old Fillmore auditorium in San Francisco and he ran into Janis Joplin who took him inside and he was shocked to see some Hells Angels dragging some guy across the floor after they had pummeled him bloody.

:huh:

For some reason what sticks out in my mind most about the Isle Of Wight concert was the technician changing Keith Moon's busted bass drum head right in the middle of the song. :D

And the insults being hurrled at the artists. Almost everybody was being accused of selling out. Joni Mitchell of all people really took it to heart and voiced her disapproval with the crowds behavior.

And the insults being hurrled at the artists. Almost everybody was being accused of selling out. Joni Mitchell of all people really took it to heart and voiced her disapproval with the crowds behavior.

Desolation Row!

I wonder if Tiny Tim actually took his pay?

B)

Movies:

Midnight Cowboy--'Ahm walkin' here'

True Grit--'Damn a man that whistles'

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid'--'Hell, the fall'l kill ya'

Easy Rider--'What you represent to them is freedom'

Alice's Restaurant--'Obie, do you think we're going to hang ourselves for littering?'

B)

After that happened, some real heavy shit started hitting the streets..Cocaine lased with draino as an example.

That sounds about right as draino is used for cleaning out plumbing pipes. I'm glad they started lacing cocaine with manitol later on for your personal pipe cleaning additive.

I always had to visit the throne after doing a few lines. The manitol was a bit gentler than the harsh laxative draino.

That sounds about right as draino is used for cleaning out plumbing pipes. I'm glad they started lacing cocaine with manitol later on for your personal pipe cleaning additive.

I always had to visit the throne after doing a few lines. The manitol was a bit gentler than the harsh laxative draino.

It wasn't the throne that was visited. More like the emergency room or the morgue. As for future additives....we were long gone. Not my bag.

Movies:

Alice's Restaurant--'Obie, do you think we're going to hang ourselves for littering?'

B)

Some memorable movies on that list B)

Movies:

B)

:yesnod: :yesnod:

I'll just say...69 was mighty fine!

:hippy:

And lord all mighty I survived! :D

:D Yeah, we kinda got off track for a while there. There was plenty of good as well. The music was brilliant and so were the girls ;)

• 5 years later...

Archived