1969 The Year That Defined An Era

BUCK'EYE' DOC

People think the "60's" faded away and died but actually it took root within the culture. So many things people take for granted are things introduced by the so called "hippies". Concerns about the environment, organic food, women's rights, anti-war movements and a general questioning of all the unquestioned norms of the conformist "50's". The era is not gone but surrounds us to the point that we can no longer see it.

PS the pivotal year was actually 1966, Purple Haze and Revolver!

What makes people think hippies have disappeared from the landscape? They're still out there and I don't mean the ones that "play" hippie at Widespread, Phish, etc. shows. They exist on the fringes of society just as they always have.

I also wonder about the fascination some seem to have with wishing they had grown up in the 60s or 70s. Why would anyone want to go back to such a turbulent time in our nations history, as if the times we are living in aren't turbulent enough. Having grown up in the 70s I can say without hesitation that you really didn't miss out on much. I'm more about living in the now.

I think it's more about the unification of the youth culture and the notion of trying to make changes than actually living during those times. I wasn't around for it either but I think there is something pretty moving about a generation that was interested in making real change. Unfortunately they were me with challenges they weren't prepared for which ultimately led to its demise.

Hi Jahfin,all,

What makes people think hippies have disappeared from the landscape? They're still out there and I don't mean the ones that "play" hippie at Widespread, Phish, etc. shows. They exist on the fringes of society just as they always have.

I also wonder about the fascination some seem to have with wishing they had grown up in the 60s or 70s. Why would anyone want to go back to such a turbulent time in our nations history, as if the times we are living in aren't turbulent enough. Having grown up in the 70s I can say without hesitation that you really didn't miss out on much. I'm more about living in the now.

Well,I for one do not think that.Hippies,tramps and thieves,they have always been there and always will.

Short story: I gave a VHS to a friend 12 years younger than me of the movie "Dazed and Confused".Question: "Was it really like that?" A:"Yes."

It was,was it better?Hard to say.It was my time and I would not trade it.

Yet on this forum,don't we live in the past?

KB(some what)

Hi Jahfin,all,

Well,I for one do not think that.Hippies,tramps and thieves,they have always been there and always will.

Short story: I gave a VHS to a friend 12 years younger than me of the movie "Dazed and Confused".Question: "Was it really like that?" A:"Yes."

It was,was it better?Hard to say.It was my time and I would not trade it.

Yet on this forum,don't we live in the past?

KB(some what)

I'm with you there KB. For some of us, the time frame in question is just part of our lives and hard to ignore. For other's I believe they are just fascinated because they see the 60's as being the beginning or the end of something special. I guess we all do to a certain degree. One thing for sure,

the 60's were significant in shaping opinions

I like the 1960's because people weren't afraid to try and do something to make a change if there was something they didn't like. I'm talking about rallys and marches and protests, you know.., expression.

These days, all you get is a few people putting "Down with Bush" bumper stickers on their cars and calling it a day...

Everyone just seems so...

dead. <_<

I like the 1960's because people weren't afraid to try and do something to make a change if there was something they didn't like. I'm talking about rallys and marches and protests, you know.., expression.

These days, all you get is a few people putting "Down with Bush" bumper stickers on their cars and calling it a day...

dead. <_<

Things may change on that front with this world economy but, IMO, for the better part of 20yrs there just haven't been enough people hurting financially to generate a common cause. The reality of so many of the protests in the 60's is not as romantic as it's made out and most were led by people who ended up, in the eyes of many, selling out the cause. Many went on to become members of the very thing that the protests were geared against. Believe me when I say that these types of so called leaders ususlly have a price tag attatched to them. Meet the new boss....same as the old boss

For a number of reason's , me either

'66 and '67 were great. Unfortunately, acid was the thing to do and I should have never touched it.

I got the really 'good stuff' in late '67.

For the next 3 years I suffered mentally like no one will ever know until I finally came out of it.

:(

'66 and '67 were great. Unfortunately, acid was the thing to do and I should have never touched it.

I got the really 'good stuff' in late '67.

For the next 3 years I suffered mentally like no one will ever know until I finally came out of it.

:(

Yeah. It was not all glorious stuff was it. I'm happy that you managed to come around but there are so many who didn't. I know that I'm making it all sound bad, which it wasn't. I just find the bad to be really bad and aside from the music, the good just not good enough.

Hi Ally,all,

I'm with you there KB. For some of us, the time frame in question is just part of our lives and hard to ignore. For other's I believe they are just fascinated because they see the 60's as being the beginning or the end of something special. I guess we all do to a certain degree. One thing for sure,

the 60's were significant in shaping opinions

Well,it was special,at the time.

Was it that different then?In many ways it was.A cop would not pull you over for drunk driving,he would know were you lived,your mothers(first) name and follow you home.You did make bongs in workshop,Mr Pratt would think nothing of it.Jocks would hang out together,freaks&geeks would hang out,.....the rest of us,minded our own business.

Oh,well,somethings never change.

What did was my first hearing of 'Led Zeppelin ' :D You know,at my first party(i.e. folks out of town,half the school there,drugs and drink,etc)

WTF is that?!? :)

KB

dead. <_<

It was that sense of a generation unifying to fight a cause even though it ended up failing I think that draws an appeal to people. We could use some of that drive now, especially having the benefit of understanding why things went wrong back then. But it's all become much more selfish - I'll do it if I get something out of it for me. Really crappy attitude and gets us nowhere.

^well atleast people were not putting bad acid/pyschotrophic drugs in drinks at bars. i had that and will never forget it.

That is a bad one and it happened to my oldest son at a bar in downtown Vancouver. Lucky for him he was with friends. I hope that was the case with you. Spiking however, is nothing new and it's been going on forever

That is a bad one and it happened to my oldest son at a bar in downtown Vancouver. Lucky for him he was with friends. I hope that was the case with you. Spiking however, is nothing new and it's been going on forever

Whatever it drugs it was, it lasted for a long time, not over night. it was really bad.

It's a really scary thing for sure. I don't hear about it quite as much now as I did back in the 90s when it seemed much more prevalent.

It's a really scary thing for sure. I don't hear about it quite as much now as I did back in the 90s when it seemed much more prevalent.

It is scary and in my son's case it appears that he may not have been the intended victim. Apparently, this is often but not exclusively the case. With so many people sharing the table and pints of beer all over the place it could have been intended for anyone. He and his friends now order bottles and when they leave the table, they either take their bottles with them or someone stay's behind to keep watch over things. Personally, I think people who spike a drink need to be taken out to the back alley and given a good old shit kickin'

It is scary and in my son's case it appears that he may not have been the intended victim. Apparently, this is often but not exclusively the case. With so many people sharing the table and pints of beer all over the place it could have been intended for anyone. He and his friends now order bottles and when they leave the table, they either take their bottles with them or someone stay's behind to keep watch over things. Personally, I think people who spike a drink need to be taken out to the back alley and given a good old shit kickin'

Good steps your son and his friends take. I'm very careful when I go out as far as ordering drinks. Shame it has to be that way but this is where we seem to be at.

Hi ally,all,

Pardon me: :burp:

May I say;WTF?

There was time people when you could out have a few too many pints and never have to worry about this ****!

I remember one of my sisters were out with the family,a DB,was trying to feed her shots(you see where this was heading,right?),well I grabbed said DB by the neck,hauled his sorry arse outside.Kickin'? Nope.Verbal bashing,much better.Of course I used all my vocabulary skills(thanks Grand mom!) and described in detail exactly what was in his future,... :D

The only rep I got was:Do not **** with my friends.

KB(ho-hum)

Hi ally,all,

Pardon me: :burp:

May I say;WTF?

There was time people when you could out have a few too many pints and never have to worry about this ****!

I remember one of my sisters were out with the family,a DB,was trying to feed her shots(you see where this was heading,right?),well I grabbed said DB by the neck,hauled his sorry arse outside.Kickin'? Nope.Verbal bashing,much better.Of course I used all my vocabulary skills(thanks Grand mom!) and described in detail exactly what was in his future,... :D

The only rep I got was:Do not **** with my friends.

KB(ho-hum)

Either plan works for me KB. The sad thing about this situation is that 99.9% of the time, the intended victim is a female. A guy might be the victim if he is in the way of said DB getting what he want's. That say's DB a predator to me and DB needs his AK big time

Archived