Robert Plant and Alison Krauss interview tonight

Robert joked that when asked to apply for the CBE, he looked at the boxes to check yes or no. Then when he saw that it was for his contributions to music, he decided to go for it.

He joked that he should wait for the knighthood after Elton John called him and he thought, hmm, Sir Elton John.

He commented that America has a thing about royalty, and he said "America has the greatest royal on the planet right now."

He said he can understand the interest in a Led Zeppelin reunion. He said that you have to guard the reputation that you had in the past and not risk tarnishing it. He said you can't go out without a new makeover, a fresh start. If you don't and just visit "the old grand delicate thing" you risk disappointment. "You can't meet exhuberence head on as to what you had."

Royalty is interesting from a historical and cultural perspective.

The interview shows how happy Robert is in what he is doing.

He spoke in superlatives when talking about Raisng Sand, Allison, T-Bone, etc.

"Great times"

"Laughing all the way through it"

"It was wonderful!"

"Was a dream"

"Laughing our way around the planet"

"Spectacular technicolor adventure"

There is no doubt that he won't do a Led Zeppelin reunion without new material.

Wonderful.

Sorry, eternal light. I made an error in my original post and discovered it when I re-read it after dinner.

I meant to say: He won't reunite with Zepp without new material.

He doesn't want to re-hash the old songs. He said it would be a disappointment to everyone if they did so because they don't have the exhuberence that they had when they were young and that it was so good then that they could not equal it.

Sorry, eternal light. I made an error in my original post and discovered it when I re-read it after dinner.

He doesn't want to re-hash the old songs. He said it would be a disappointment to everyone if they did so because they don't have the exhuberence that they had when they were young and that it was so good then that they could not equal it.

And sadly, like he said, they are incomplete without Bonzo. :( :(

Anyway thank you guys for the notes!

It was good in some ways. It's a different time now.

The audience has changed. It is multi-generational now, whereas before it mainly consisted of teenagers and young adults with a few middle-aged people who worked in the industry.

The band is no longer a group of young adults, but rather of young at heart adults. It's a whole new experience.

Nice interview excerpts. Great work on the part of all who contributed. Thanks!

Now we have a pretty good idea of how RP feels about the whole Led Zeppelin thing. That was pretty much how I thought he felt about it. Could see him down the road doing something with them, but no full scale reunion.

He said that John's death freed him of "the shakles" of Led Zeppelin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imprisoned by Zeppelin?

lol Chains channeling his inner Patty Loveless

1967_Plant_01.jpg

Bought a ticket to Seattle but I can't get to the plane

Everytime I leave you I keep running out of chain

I hunger for your love it never gives me any slack

But if I ever break away, I'm never coming back to these

Chains, chains, shackles and chains

No matter what it takes some day I'm gonna break these

These love taking, heart breaking, cold, hard, lonely making chains

You never try to hold me 'till you see me walking out

I guess you'd rather be with me than ever be without

You call me back and kiss me and my heart begins to sink

When I know that all you're doing's taking up another link in these

Love was never meant to be a one-way street

I was never meant to be falling at your feet

You got me where you want me and I don't know what to do

You don't belong to me but I belong to you in these

-Patty Loveless

He said that John's death freed him of "the shakles" of Led Zeppelin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imprisoned by Zeppelin?

I think he probably meant that he now had other opportunities to explore different kinds of music. He once said (on the NL dvd) that it was the freedom to fail. So I think he wasn't meaning it negatively.

I think he probably meant that he now had other opportunities to explore different kinds of music. He once said (on the NL dvd) that it was the freedom to fail. So I think he wasn't meaning it negatively.

I didn't hear the interview so I just commented on what was posted. I've known Robert long enough to not need decoding when speaks.

I didn't hear the interview so I just commented on what was posted. I've known Robert long enough to not need decoding when speaks.

Lol you're funny.

Anyway bigzepfan in fact you did a very good job with your synopsis, man you must be at least 75 wpm! Typing all that info in real time radio on air! And to buck eye and to all of you for your own excerpts and links thanks to you too you know who you are (wam, wth am i talking this not an acceptance speech, i must be watching too many awards shows lately :unsure: ) anyway thanks it's soooo nice to hear from/about Robert Plant again finally after that appearance in Wales last Christmas. Erudite, Eloquent intervieweee that he is is why I always enjoy listening/reading his interviews. Can you imagine him being your dad, grampa, bf, concubine whatever the case may be and sitting in his lap as he tells you tales from his youth, yeah he speaks so well, no such bs - then of course he had his everybody's got to eat moments and all that felatio in moving airplanes in the 70's, yeah he has moments too for he may be the golden god but he is also a rockstar human afterall)....

Way to go Sir Robert! Obama, CBE, John Bonham, Zeppelin, Raising Sand it's all pretty much covered and gone across. It's a more noble rather than selfish reason not wanting to continue on with the loss of the drummer that together made the band what it was. An even more noble reason wanting to preserve the legacy and leave it forever young in that special moment in time than potentially torpedoing it to an uncertain territory. Was it a little bit challenging to catch up with the RS crew energy, man you're still young at 60! It's the new 50 as they say (ehrm 40 in your case heeee) Likewise Lifetime Achievement recipients I notice are usually on the verge of semi or complete retirement, so count yourself lucky you're still cool man lol. Sir is now so princely not to mention cool lol, now that you've joined the ranks. Those Sirs looked like Lifetime Achievement recipients previously :D It must be so nice to not have to have a career lol. 40 years of unbridled raw music (some weren't so lol) we thank you Sir Robert oh not forgetting what an eye candy you are afterall these years. On the other hand were you speaking of those cheesy troughs-ers you wore in the 80's lol. Finally was you in the Inauguration too...? Heh. :D

What an enjoyable interviewee.

I'm watching Hannah Montana, typing a letter to my gf (yes letter not email), chatting, replying to cool fellow forum-ers and posting here so if I'm a little rambly you must love me.....

L8R

Can you imagine him being your dad, grampa, bf, concubine whatever the case may be and sitting in his lap as he tells you tales from his youth, yeah he speaks so well, no such bs - then of course he had his everybody's got to eat moments and all that felatio in moving airplanes in the 70's, yeah he has moments too for he may be the golden god but he is also a rockstar human afterall)....

Actually, it's a bit difficult to imagine him being my concubine :blink: , but hey, I'd like to hear him tell stories!

This is exactly how he meant it. Nothing negative about Led Zeppelin. In the context of the interview he was talking about how he was free to explore other aspects of music, not just rock and roll. He was free of the "shakles of peoples expectations" that were of Led Zeppelin.

I took some notes on what he was saying and I have a quote where he said "career?, oh no, this is just a bonus". It was just after mentioning "a spectacular technicolor adventure not imagined". I believe it was when he was talking about what he has been doing since Led Zeppelin. He was very animated in his exuberance about it.

Robert joked that when asked to apply for the CBE, he looked at the boxes to check yes or no. Then when he saw that it was for his contributions to music, he decided to go for it.

He joked that he should wait for the knighthood after Elton John called him and he thought, hmm, Sir Elton John.

He commented that America has a thing about royalty, and he said "America has the greatest royal on the planet right now."

He said he can understand the interest in a Led Zeppelin reunion. He said that you have to guard the reputation that you had in the past and not risk tarnishing it. He said you can't go out without a new makeover, a fresh start. If you don't and just visit "the old grand delicate thing" you risk disappointment. "You can't meet exhuberence head on as to what you had."

Re-reading my notes he said "to visit old ground is a delicate thing to do".

Sorry for the typo. :slapface:

Just finally got a chance to listen to this, thanks for the link, glicine. :)

Very nice interview--I'll underline the point just mentioned, that he was talking about "the shackles of people's expectations," not Zeppelin, and also I note that his favorite word is still spectacular. I was kinda hoping he'd come up with a new one for 2009. :D

Very nice interview--I'll underline the point just mentioned, that he was talking about "the shackles of people's expectations," not Zeppelin, and also I note that his favorite word is still spectacular. I was kinda hoping he'd come up with a new one for 2009. :D

You are welcome.

"spectacular" is a good word and can be used everywhere. B)

I like the way he said it at the 02 describing Jason - "spectaculahhhh".

Archived