McCartney headlines Coachella festival

The Pagemeister

mtl-paul-cp-0721-4.jpg

Paul McCartney will be the headline act on the opening day of the Coachella Valley music festival in Indio, Calif.

Organizers said Friday the former Beatle will lead a set of musicans at the start of the April festival, which includes Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey and Leonard Cohen.

"I have heard that Coachella is one of the greatest festivals in the world," the 66-year-old musician said on his website.

"I'm really excited to get out there and rock!"

McCartney's latest album is Electric Arguments, a collaboration between the songwriter-singer and producer-musician Youth, and released under the band name the Fireman.

Other big acts slated for the 10th annual festival, running from April 17 to 19, include the Cure, Amy Winehouse, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Killers and My Bloody Valentine.

Cohen's Coachella appearance is one of the stops in his first North American tour in 15 years, which launches Feb. 19 in New York.

The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival traditionally celebrates indie and alt-rock acts but has since expanded its repertoire to include more mainstream performers.

FULL LINE-UP

Archived