St Louis Arena show, April 15, 1977

damnedcat777

Is it just me, or did LZ have a particularly BAD night on the 15th of April in '77? They kinda... well... stunk up the joint. And I don't know why, but there was NO encore. Thankfully, I should presume, because I'm sure they would've mangled Hairway to Steven in the process of one anyway. That was $9 down the drain.

• 3 months later...
Is it just me, or did LZ have a particularly BAD night on the 15th of April in '77? They kinda... well... stunk up the joint. And I don't know why, but there was NO encore. Thankfully, I should presume, because I'm sure they would've mangled Hairway to Steven in the process of one anyway. That was $9 down the drain.

I was there. Granted, it wasn't their best show. I had been waiting to see them for four years as a teen. They didn't do an encore because of all the coffee can lids and frizbees and anyway who cares? I still love Led Zeppelin. You can't let a few stupid assholes screw things up for the rest of us loyal Zep Heads!

Hi, how are you?

• 3 weeks later...

Um...there's been a lot of speculation over the years as to why they didn't do an encore, the house lights came on after Stairway to Heaven and everybody booed (except me).

I've always heard it was because a frizbee hit either Jimmy or Robert. There was a LOT of frizbees and coffee can lids being thrown about that night, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I wished I had better seats for that show (it was before the age of giant video screens) so I could have seen the show better, and maybe have seen what actually happened that pissed them off.

Did anybody else out there see the 4/15/77 show in St. Louis? I'd like to know what you think (or know) happened that night. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Um...there's been a lot of speculation over the years as to why they didn't do an encore, the house lights came on after Stairway to Heaven and everybody booed (except me).

I've always heard it was because a frizbee hit either Jimmy or Robert. There was a LOT of frizbees and coffee can lids being thrown about that night, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I wished I had better seats for that show (it was before the age of giant video screens) so I could have seen the show better, and maybe have seen what actually happened that pissed them off.

Did anybody else out there see the 4/15/77 show in St. Louis? I'd like to know what you think (or know) happened that night. Thanks.

Oh albionremain...you know my story...but it was 31 YEARS AGO TONIGHT!!! Where did all that time go?

77 had very few bright spots. There were a ton of bad shows.

I was at four shows the week before the 4/15/77 St. Louis gig. (Chicago) I sure didn't come upon any I would call bad.... I thought they were loose and fun, and to me the band seemed comfortable with who they were. Even the shortened Saturday night show was a treasure to me.

Granted, Jimmy looked as pale as a ghost and was scary thin, but NOBODY I know (and there were at least a dozen of us) that went to any of those shows thought they were bad in any way, shape or form. The consensus seems to be that the '77 tour was a dog. Easy to say, but I didn't see it.

As a matter of fact, I can clearly recall myself and all of my friends who saw them that year being thrilled with the fact that after seeing those shows, Zep was still the biggest, baddest dog on the block, period.

I can't speak to that St. Louis show, I wasn't there. I just ain't so sure about there being a TON of bad shows.

Nobody put them under a microscope more than my friends and I back then, we hung on every word from every interview, bought up every magazine that had anything to do with the band and lived and breathed Zep. We wheeled and dealed to improve our ticket situation in the weeks before a show, and life revolved around the coming of the band. I winced every time Robert's voice cracked or Jimmy fumbled, and we really fretted it out. Maybe things were starting to go bad as far as the "Karma" surrounding the band, and in retrospect things weren't the same, but even what some would call a sub par Zep show was an experience to be treasured. I treasured being able to say I was there then, and it's an incalcuably priceless memory now.

I'm not trying to be one of these elitists who walks around with his nose in the air because he was lucky enough to have seen them eight times, but you had to be there.... I never saw a show that didn't leave me hoarse and raspy voiced from screaming, hands sore from clapping, and feet aching from stomping on the concrete or seat for an encore. I saw shows that were better than others to be sure, but the ones I was at in '77 were right up there with all of the others. All I know is that I would have loved to be at that St. Louis show too, because we couldn't have known it then, but the end was near.

Listening to boots is fun, but to judge the experience solely on that just doesn't get it. There was way more to it than that, to be sure....

All I know is that I would have loved to be at that St. Louis show too, because we couldn't have known it then, but the end was near.

Yeah, I have posted this a few times elsewhere, but that show was basically the beginning of me learning about 'the boys'. I'll forever regrett missing that night, but alas, I was a 'late starter', a 13 yr old who grew up less than a mile away from the stlouis arena. I remember seeing the news coverage of the the fans who waited/camped out at the arena for three days before tickets even went on sale...amazing! That was my introduction to the power of the band...the beginning for me, sadly the end was near, as you so aptly stated. :(

Yeah, I have posted this a few times elsewhere, but that show was basically the beginning of me learning about 'the boys'. I'll forever regrett missing that night, but alas, I was a 'late starter', a 13 yr old who grew up less than a mile away from the stlouis arena. I remember seeing the news coverage of the the fans who waited/camped out at the arena for three days before tickets even went on sale...amazing! That was my introduction to the power of the band...the beginning for me, sadly the end was near, as you so aptly stated. :(

st. louis was good for that. i remember camping out in front of the kiel opera house for tix to roberts 1st solo tour for 2 days. i missed the zep show but saw many post-zep solo shows there and chicago. the performances were always equal to what i saw in chicago. st. louis is a great zep town.....

I was at four shows the week before the 4/15/77 St. Louis gig. (Chicago) I sure didn't come upon any I would call bad.... I thought they were loose and fun, and to me the band seemed comfortable with who they were. Even the shortened Saturday night show was a treasure to me.

Granted, Jimmy looked as pale as a ghost and was scary thin, but NOBODY I know (and there were at least a dozen of us) that went to any of those shows thought they were bad in any way, shape or form. The consensus seems to be that the '77 tour was a dog. Easy to say, but I didn't see it.

As a matter of fact, I can clearly recall myself and all of my friends who saw them that year being thrilled with the fact that after seeing those shows, Zep was still the biggest, baddest dog on the block, period.

I can't speak to that St. Louis show, I wasn't there. I just ain't so sure about there being a TON of bad shows.

Nobody put them under a microscope more than my friends and I back then, we hung on every word from every interview, bought up every magazine that had anything to do with the band and lived and breathed Zep. We wheeled and dealed to improve our ticket situation in the weeks before a show, and life revolved around the coming of the band. I winced every time Robert's voice cracked or Jimmy fumbled, and we really fretted it out. Maybe things were starting to go bad as far as the "Karma" surrounding the band, and in retrospect things weren't the same, but even what some would call a sub par Zep show was an experience to be treasured. I treasured being able to say I was there then, and it's an incalcuably priceless memory now.

I'm not trying to be one of these elitists who walks around with his nose in the air because he was lucky enough to have seen them eight times, but you had to be there.... I never saw a show that didn't leave me hoarse and raspy voiced from screaming, hands sore from clapping, and feet aching from stomping on the concrete or seat for an encore. I saw shows that were better than others to be sure, but the ones I was at in '77 were right up there with all of the others. All I know is that I would have loved to be at that St. Louis show too, because we couldn't have known it then, but the end was near.

Listening to boots is fun, but to judge the experience solely on that just doesn't get it. There was way more to it than that, to be sure....

Beautifully said.

Archived