Luis Rey...

ZepFanatic

Depending on the source, there are anywhere between 57,000 to 68,000

U.S. military personnel stationed in Germany at the moment.

I was stationed in Nürnberg, Germany from 1982-1985 and I have nothing but

fond memories from my time there. The people were fantastic and the country beautiful.

And there was only ONE McDonalds in Nürnberg then, and no other fast food joints.

Unlike the sad state of affairs now.

As for concerts, I saw plenty there and while there definitely was a large presence of

American military at some(mostly the metal shows) shows, I don't recall them being

any drunker or unruly than the Germans.

Judas Priest/Ted Nugent in 1984, Def Leppard @ Erlangen in 1983, Iron Maiden @

Stuttgardt in '84, various metal fests including the Monsters of Rock '84 @ Nürnberg

(at the very place Hitler had his rallies) with AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy, Gary Moore,

Motley Crüe...all of these had enthusiastic crowds with none of the lameness exhibited

by the German crowds on the Zeppelin boots. In some ways they were more enthusiastic

than US crowds, cheering for encores long after most American crowds would have gone

home.

I also enjoyed the German(hell, I experienced the same in England and France so maybe

it is a European trait) ritual of singing songs...football songs, beer songs, whatever...at the

end of shows.

hey Strider, i was not going to generally put down all american soldiers in germany,

but in my concert history there were a few real dumb idiots who got so drunk and stoned (and imo one shouldnt mix that up anyway) sometimes even before the gigs that they had to be taken away by guardians. :blink: i guess the german beer is a bit different from bud or schlitz, right ? but to set the picture straight i´ve also seen some germans VERY out of it on concerts.

glad u liked being stationed in bavaria, but did u get a chance to check out the west berlin punk & squatting scene of the 80s ? that was something unreal!

personally i like to hear the music of a band when i go to a concert and not football hymns and such, but i make music myself and can be a bit picky about these things sometimes. i suffered a lot while football WCC in 06 because hundreds of tourists would then walk down my street and cheer on top of their lungs " BRAZILIA!" or " ITALIA!" around 4 am ( i live quite central in berlin). not so adorable.

ah btw, did some of you see the super 8 home vid of LZ in germany 1970 before WMG took it down? it was a private silent video without any warner music copyright material in it, unless warner OWN the rights of us seeing LZ walking thru wiesbaden, frankfurt and berlin and such, it had no concert footage in it. i dont get this kind of attitude by majors. :angry:

That was filmed by UK music journalist Chris Welch, who accompanied them on their

tour of Germany July 16-20 1970...they were flown from London to Dusseldorf on 7/16, and Bonzo became airsick...after checking in to the Hotel Intercontinental Jimmy went

out and bought a small antique table in Dusseldorf...on 7/18/ they all took a 5 1/2 hour train ride South along the Rhine to Frankfurt for their Festhalle concert that night...Chris joined in on timbales during 'Whole Lotta Love'...they also stayed at the Hilton adjacent to the Berlin Zoo...Jimmy declined to see the Berlin Wall, saying something to the effect of it's vibrations alone were making him ill (lol)

Are you sure there is a clip of Wiesbaden in the footage? I'm not sure about that...

well i aint got no proof as the clip disappeared now and i didnt save it, but i seem to remember the four lads standing in front of the wiesbaden train station entering a frankfurt bound limousine or cab. but then the frankfurt and the wiesbaden stations look not very different, just the frankfurt thing is more huge. good additional info steve, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Luis Rey: Unfortunately, I've not had the pleasure (nor the annoyance, apparently) of reading his book, in any of its editions, although I have heard similar remarks (both kind and not-so-kind) about his writing from others...

On the subject of Led Zeppelin live: Generally speaking, I love Zeppelin live from any period, whether it be the embryonic stage in the (very) late 60's, the dominance of the early-to-mid 70's, or the aging late-70's and 1980. It all depends on one's tastes, I guess...but I can find something to love from each year Zeppelin toured, and even from the (supposedly) "bad," "weak" or just generally "sub-par" performances and shows.

BTW: I've seen a lot of bias against Zeppelin post-1972(ish) from several people, even here on this board. Luis Rey isn't alone in that.

• 1 month later...

I've been finding a lot of factual errors in there...it's not secret he thinks every other band other than Zeppelin sucks (at least that comes across very prominently in his writing) as he takes digs at the Who and Stones quite often. One huge factual error where he tries to take a swipe at the Stones is when he mentions Plant jabbing the Stones with "the vibes are better here than at Madison Square Garden" from one of the Nassau Coliseum, Long Island shows in mid-June. rey then says "the Rolling Stones were receiving huge press coverage at that venue at the same time"...which is dead-WRONG! The Stone '72 tour took play from early June to the end of July...they played three shows at MSG on July 24-26, 1972...a MONTH AND A HALF AFTER THE ZEPPELIN SHOW! This is not arcane knowledge, either...tour itineraries for the Stones '72 tour are a dime a dozen as that was (and is still considered) their best and most heavily documented (in the public consciousness) tour...shoddy work by Rey just in order to take a swipe at a rival band...

Archived