Obama's Report Card...

marolyn

But that begs the question: Is voting against someone (McCain/Bush) the same as voting FOR someone (Obama)

You may not have liked Bush or McCain, but that doesn't mean, in any way, that Obama was the right guy for the job. Just because Guy A is a fuck up does nto mean Guy B is at all better.

You're absolutely right, but again, when one guy is the epidemy of the phrase "fuck up" and you have a youthful speaker breath words that encourage "progression," its not hard to bypass everything else when the simple message is what most "middle-of-the-road" people are yearning to hear..and follow.

Obama might have been the right guy for the job, its a shame he has no control over his party and what the Democrats have in store for this country. That's why I pulled out from voting for him. It just became clearer and clearer to me the weeks before the campaign he had no control. He's the new kid on the block, so to speak. No senior Democrat is gonna let this young guy take over what they've had their hands around for decades. It's becoming more obvious by the week that Obama has no plans of "changing the ways of Washington politics," which was his biggest campaign rallying call. Pelosi and Reid control the party and the strings. Obama is the puppet.

Obama has done more positive things since he was elected than Bush did in his whole 8 years.

There's nothing positive about hammering away at Republicans for "pork" during the campaign and then signing a package with 9,000 earmarks in it.

Bottom line: It's still too early. Other than the package, Obama hasn't done anything overly important yet. If he legalized marijuana, now that would be important! ;)

FAIL

It is completely unacceptable to even consider this.

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment

Mon Mar 16, 5:49 pm ET

To: POLITICAL EDITORS

Contact: Craig Roberts of The American Legion, +1-202-263-2982 Office, +1-202-406-0887 Cell

WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan," said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. "He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans!"

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group's early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, " There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran's personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable."

Commander Rehbein reiterated points made last week in testimony to both House and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committees. It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. The proposed requirement for these companies to reimburse the VA would not only be unfair, says the Legion, but would have an adverse impact on service-connected disabled veterans and their families. The Legion argues that, depending on the severity of the medical conditions involved, maximum insurance coverage limits could be reached through treatment of the veteran's condition alone. That would leave the rest of the family without health care benefits. The Legion also points out that many health insurance companies require deductibles to be paid before any benefits are covered. Additionally, the Legion is concerned that private insurance premiums would be elevated to cover service-connected disabled veterans and their families, especially if the veterans are self-employed or employed in small businesses unable to negotiate more favorable across-the-board insurance policy pricing. The American Legion also believes that some employers, especially small businesses, would be reluctant to hire veterans with service-connected disabilities due to the negative impact their employment might have on obtaining and financing company health care benefits.

"I got the distinct impression that the only hope of this plan not being enacted," said Commander Rehbein, "is for an alternative plan to be developed that would generate the desired $540-million in revenue. The American Legion has long advocated for Medicare reimbursement to VA for the treatment of veterans. This, we believe, would more easily meet the President's financial goal. We will present that idea in an anticipated conference call with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel in the near future.

"I only hope the administration will really listen to us then. This matter has far more serious ramifications than the President is imagining," concluded the Commander.

SOURCE The American Legion

It isn't. It's the truth. Look at what Obama's done so far. He is not perfect but at least he is accomplishing some things. Bush was a complete joke.

You can't say that about someone who's been in office for 2 months, that is just moronic.

Read what I posted above about his new idea and then say that. It's insulting to our troops.

It isn't. It's the truth. Look at what Obama's done so far. He is not perfect but at least he is accomplishing some things. Bush was a complete joke.

Obama is talking alot, but not doing alot.

He is saying things that he thinks that people (not me) want to hear.

But no action.

Just like saying "Oh well, I'll stop the pork next time and make anyone who puts the pork in the bills accountable". He had his opportunity to stop it this time and he failed to do so. He will just make it difficult for the Republicans to do so when they gain the majority in the House and Senate in the next election. He got his and his cronies' pet projects funded and he will make it difficult for the other party to do the same in the future. What a hippocrit!

You can't say that about someone who's been in office for 2 months, that is just moronic.

Read what I posted above about his new idea and then say that. It's insulting to our troops.

I said Obama wasn't perfect. There are going to be people who don't like everything. That will happen. But the good outweighs the bad.

I said Obama wasn't perfect. There are going to be people who don't like everything. That will happen. But the good outweighs the bad.

Like I said, he hasn't done anything.

His slick talk makes you think that he has.

He is using psychology to trick you into thinking that he has done something.

Just alot of hot air.

He is not instilling any confidence in the business world, that is for sure!

Like I said, he hasn't done anything.

His slick talk makes you think that he has.

He is using psychology to trick you into thinking that he has done something.

Just alot of hot air.

He is not instilling any confidence in the business world, that is for sure!

You don't think stem cell research is anything? Tell that to Michael J Fox.

Another Obamination.

Stem cell research has been going on all along! It was just that the government was not paying for it. It was funded by private means, but it never ceased! Just another way to deceive the public. Oh my, if the government doesn't pay for it, then it won't get done and Michael J. Fox will die! B.S.

And you can get stem cells from other sources, not just from human embryos.

Just another way to promote the government sanctioning and paying for the death of human babies in the womb and using their innocent dead bodies for experimentation.

Another Obamination.

Stem cell research has been going on all along! It was just that the government was not paying for it. It was funded by private means, but it never ceased! Just another way to deceive the public. Oh my, if the government doesn't pay for it, then it won't get done and Michael J. Fox will die! B.S.

And you can get stem cells from other sources, not just from human embryos.

Just another way to promote the government sanctioning and paying for the death of human babies in the womb!

This could speed things up. No guarantee of that but still. It's a step in the right direction. There are a lot of people suffering from diseases that this could help. It's very important.

You sound like you have it in for him.

This could speed things up. No guarantee of that but still. It's a step in the right direction. There are a lot of people suffering from diseases that this could help. It's very important.

You sound like you have it in for him.

I definitely don't like his and his party's political beliefs and platforms.

And I am not against stem cell research. Just the use of human embryos for the stem cells and the government paying for it.

Im not jumping on spatz.

But If Pres. Obama reversed Former Pres. Bush of stem cell research, which Pres. Bush reversed on Pres. Clinton decision. they are both accomplishing the same thing.

Thats a Draw.

GITMO still open for business, so a statement does not beat Pres. Bush decision to open up the place.

Words are not actions, actions are actions. and actions should speak for themselves.

Besides spending alot of money, all of what Obama did involved reversing Bush policy. If Bush started those policies and Obama reversed them. Isn't that the same sort of action.

Well let's see.

We haven't been attacked since 9/11.

He liberated the Afghanis from the horrors of the Taliban (particularly when it came to the inhuman treatment of women).

He rid the world of Sadam Hussein.

He did more for Africa in the manner of AIDS treatment than any President before him.

There are plenty of things I didn't like about the Bush Administration (I say that as a staunch conservative), but to casually use hyperbole in calling him a "complete joke" is a joke in itself.

I definitely don't like his and his party's political beliefs and platforms.

And I am not against stem cell research. Just the use of human embryos for the stem cells and the government paying for it.

Those embryos that are used are slated for destruction anyway, why not put them to good use? According to an interview from a researcher that I heard the embryonic stem cells have unique regenerative qualities that other stem cells do not. In other words only embryonic stem cells can actually regenerate human tissue, such as brain cells, lung tissue, etc...

I have issues with it, if it is abused or if cloning became a part of the research. The good definitely outweighs the bad in this one. I'm happy about the advancement of medical science and hopeful for lifesaving cures to come from it.

I'm with Obama on this one.

I have issues with it, if it is abused or if cloning became a part of the research.

People are paying half a million bucks to get their dead cats cloned, and designer babies will be the next trend that many parents will feel "entitled" to. Dolly is already out of the barn, it's too late to lock the gate...

People are paying half a million bucks to get their dead cats cloned, and designer babies will be the next trend that many parents will feel "entitled" to.

At least that will stimulate the economy, right?! :unsure:

He liberated the Afghanis from the horrors of the Taliban (particularly when it came to the inhuman treatment of women).

He rid the world of Sadam Hussein.

Both have to be taken with a dumptruck's worth of salt. ;)

Who exactly in your mind did Saddam threaten? Other than Bush's ego, a few oil tycoons' pockets and Iran's ambition? :rolleyes:

Both have to be taken with a dumptruck's worth of salt. ;)

Who exactly in your mind did Saddam threaten? Other than Bush's ego, a few oil tycoons' pockets and Iran's ambition? :rolleyes:

I dunno, for starters maybe the United States. In the run up to the war, whether Sadam smuggled WMDs out of the country, or simply didn't have them is uncertain. That he would have evenutally acquired them is highly likely considering his previous pattern of behavior. Passing them on to terrorists like Abu Musab al Zarqawi who he had harbored at one time was a possibility that GWB didn't want to allow.

And second, I guess the Iraqi people who had been subjected to death, torture, etc. were threatened by him as well. :slapface:

Archived