Bonzo and Plant arguing -- can someone translate?

dpat

Hi,

Found this link to audio (it starts with Jonesy teaching the ABC's to his kids), but then at about starting about at 0:40 and ending about 1:55, Bonham and Plant seem to be "discussing" how to end "In My Time of Dying."

I'm not quite up to speed with the Midlands accent, could someone translate?

Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE_9H4bsTY

Hi,

Found this link to audio (it starts with Jonesy teaching the ABC's to his kids), but then at about starting about at 0:40 and ending about 1:55, Bonham and Plant seem to be "discussing" how to end "In My Time of Dying."

I'm not quite up to speed with the Midlands accent, could someone translate?

Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE_9H4bsTY

There is a partial transcript of this interchange between Percy and Bonzo in Dave Lewis' book "Led Zeppelin - A Celebration". A fair bit of the conversation is indistinct, but my English ears can pick out the following:

Bonzo: We have to have a count - there's got to be a count. It would be easy, but the way Rob ... (indistinct) ... No, just a minute though, Rob's vocal's never the same thing!

(Music starts up again)

We have to have a count! Because Robert then, he'll have, freedom - and then it doesn't matter what length Rob does, we still can do it, we count.

Robert: Well where are you counting from now?

Bonzo: Well, you can't count from when you stopped 'cos your vocal might be a different ... I mean, your voice might just go half a beat and we're gonna be fucked

Robert: Ah, but if you do that, it'll be like Black Dog, and it gives me room to move and turn

Bonzo: Yes, and the reason we did Black Dog is that we counted it and you did it afterwards

Robert: I see

Bonzo: It's the only way we can do this

Music starts up again

Hope that helps! :)

They're arguing about how the count should go. And comparing it to how they worked out the count in Black Dog.

I've always wondered: were Plant & Bonham the only ones contributing to the discussion, or were they simply the loudest. One never seems to hear Jimmy or Jonesy in those rehearsal tapes - I guess they were too soft-spoken.

There is a partial transcript of this interchange between Percy and Bonzo in Dave Lewis' book "Led Zeppelin - A Celebration". A fair bit of the conversation is indistinct, but my English ears can pick out the following:

...Hope that helps! :)

Yes, immensely!!

THANK YOU!!!

I hear Jonesy talking between Bonzo's first exchange of having a count. I always loved hearing the studio chatter and the first attempts and arrangements compared to the finished pieces. It shows their human side and also shows other musicians that even Led Zeppelin had to work hard at creating great music.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the "ABC" part is fake. It's not anyone from Zep.

It sounds VERY much like John Paul Jones' voice. Probably not part of the tapes originally.

They're arguing about how the count should go. And comparing it to how they worked out the count in Black Dog.

I've always wondered: were Plant & Bonham the only ones contributing to the discussion, or were they simply the loudest. One never seems to hear Jimmy or Jonesy in those rehearsal tapes - I guess they were too soft-spoken.

if we don't consider jimmy's 'stop!' to bonzo in out on the tiles :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived