Baton Rouge 2/28/75

ZepFanatic

I think the Baton Rouge or Red Stick show is great. It makes me want the previous nights show in Houston to surface that much more.

Agreed, one of my favourite versions of No Quarter is from the Baton Rouge show.

• 5 years later...
On 24/01/2010 at 9:11 PM, Nutrocker said:

Yeah, that 1975 'Oo show is a good one...his 1971 NOLA Allman Bros recording is by far one of the best I've heard for that era. I've never heard a bad sounding Freezer recording, even the ridiculously genned-up ones. It indeed pisses me off to no end how Freezer is among the last of a dying breed of old-school tapers and people who aren't even fit to rewind his tapes insist on shitting all over the guy, calling Freezer a 'hoarder', etc, undoubtedly while one of his recordings plays in the background! I mean, from what I've read over at the Den, etc, this current atrocity being passed off as a 'matrix' of the new Baton Rouge '75 SBD recording with a crappy version of the audience tape by Derek McCabe and the MOTB crowd was deliberately badly done just to annoy Freezer, whom McCabe has personal issues with. And the matrix does sound like shit- all swimmy and flanging, really crappy sound. Fucking amateur hour.

The raw SBD of this show is good, but the audience tape is still the be all, end all for this collector. Avoid the MOTB sanctioned matrix at all costs!

Just curious....apart from the crappy matrix mentioned by Nutrocker, does anyone know if a decent matrix has been released? Kashmir is terrific from this show

9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I love the first two-thirds of this show, but Page really gets off the mark on the last few tracks. The Black Dog solo is a nightmare. But In My Time, Kashmir, and No Quarter make it with the listen.

Totally agree. This starts out as a damn fine show, and Freezers tape makes for a really great atmospheric and ballsy sounding recording that rivals Millard tapes, IMO.  Disc one of this show is a favorite of mine from 75. Something changes after Dazed and the show loses steam. 

On 9/17/2017 at 7:26 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Just curious....apart from the crappy matrix mentioned by Nutrocker, does anyone know if a decent matrix has been released? Kashmir is terrific from this show

I love a lot of Liriodendron's work, but I'm not a huge fan of matrixes.

The best-sounding version of 2-28 I've heard is a soundboard remaster done by Grame. Its probably findable "out there." 

YMMV of course - some folks hate remastered/fixed-up soundboards and would rather listen to a decent AUD source.

As soon as Robert started to get his voice back it was really good, even if the approach was a bit laid back on that tour, technically it was still very good and there was all sorts of stuff on Graffiti, so the approach was alright, it was more about the musical content and songwriting peak at that point.

• 1 month later...

Been listening to Liriodendron's great remaster today. This show SMOKES.

Yes Black Dog is a mess, but up until then it's one if the best of the tour IMO. IMTOD is one of the definitive versions. Everybody is on fire here.

TSRTS is excellent, with Jimmy in particularly fine form. That segues nicely into a good Rain Song rendition. No Quarter is very nice also, with Page again in good form.

Kashmir is simply wonderful. It comes across very punchy on this version, Page's guitar is up there and the whole mix is spot on. One of the best.

Trampled Underfoot is another highlight of the show and again, this version is amongst the best of the year. Page is again excellent in the main solo and it's for sure one of the tightest versions.

Dazed continues the excellent consistency up until now.

A damn fine show.

I am giving this a go and my God the lads are on for this one. Bonham is a man possessed. I'll need to reserve some time later tonight for the longer tracks. I expect they will be just as good. A great soundboard too. I note there is a decent aud as well as soundboard. Is there a matrix?

And can anyone offer an opinion as to what release for this date is the best? (and a link would be nice).

53 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I am giving this a go and my God the lads are on for this one. Bonham is a man possessed. I'll need to reserve some time later tonight for the longer tracks. I expect they will be just as good. A great soundboard too. I note there is a decent aud as well as soundboard. Is there a matrix?

And can anyone offer an opinion as to what release for this date is the best? (and a link would be nice).

IMO the best version for the 28-2-75 show is the "12th Gen" audience recording Freezer had let out before he died (obviously the "12th gen" is a joke, it likely came from his safety copy or something). Google is yer friend there, or the usual suspect torrent sites.

Thanks Nutrocker. I was able to get flacs for the soundboard (Rampaging Cagun - Label: Empress Valley (EVSD-534/535/536))

That will do for now. Googled a few things with "freezer" and "12th gen" to no avail. I am unsure of any "usual torrent sites" Only one I use is Pirate Bay.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Thanks Nutrocker. I was able to get flacs for the soundboard (Rampaging Cagun - Label: Empress Valley (EVSD-534/535/536))

That will do for now. Googled a few things with "freezer" and "12th gen" to no avail. I am unsure of any "usual torrent sites" Only one I use is Pirate Bay.

Cheers,

It’s on Hunter’s blog mate. The boot title is “Led Astray”.

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

It’s on Hunter’s blog mate. The boot title is “Led Astray”.

They are mp3's I think. All good. I have the Liriodendron mix thanks to the generosity (as usual) of a kind fellow on here. That will do me. The soundboard is great and the mix with audience "vibe" added is fantastic. I'll pay it forward. ;)

So, Page screws up ONE song from this show and its the last one. Hmmm, I wonder what happened. Let me give you the obvious answer.

BD was one of the encores. Page's hand was likely hurting like a ragun cajun after such an amazing performance and really pushing himself. After Stairway he goes back stage and drinks half a bottle of Jack to dull the pain which kicks in just as BD begins.

The fact is this is a brilliant show and I was never a fan of BD post 73' anyway as it had pretty much become stale IMO. With all the great, fresh PG material they should have ditched BD and replaced with either Custard Pie, Houses of the Holy, The Rover, or just kept Wanton Song in the setlist. Plus, all of those tunes are much easier to play than BD so there is that.

7 hours ago, IpMan said:

So, Page screws up ONE song from this show and its the last one. Hmmm, I wonder what happened. Let me give you the obvious answer.

BD was one of the encores. Page's hand was likely hurting like a ragun cajun after such an amazing performance and really pushing himself. After Stairway he goes back stage and drinks half a bottle of Jack to dull the pain which kicks in just as BD begins.

The fact is this is a brilliant show and I was never a fan of BD post 73' anyway as it had pretty much become stale IMO. With all the great, fresh PG material they should have ditched BD and replaced with either Custard Pie, Houses of the Holy, The Rover, or just kept Wanton Song in the setlist. Plus, all of those tunes are much easier to play than BD so there is that.

I agree with the Jack Daniels, but I think it was during Moby Dick, as there's a noticeable decline in his fluidity towards the last part of Dazed. He's fucking sloshed by the time BD rolls around, but manages to get through it like a pro.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I agree with the Jack Daniels, but I think it was during Moby Dick, as there's a noticeable decline in his fluidity towards the last part of Dazed. He's fucking sloshed by the time BD rolls around, but manages to get through it like a pro.

Yeah, that's the problem with hootch. First you get that warm, comfortably numb feeling and then, BAM! I know I have fingers but they are not doing as I instruct them.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Yeah, that's the problem with hootch. First you get that warm, comfortably numb feeling and then, BAM! I know I have fingers but they are not doing as I instruct them.

"When you're drunk, you don't play bad, you just play really slow!" - Neil Young :lol: 

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 8:17 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I love the first two-thirds of this show, but Page really gets off the mark on the last few tracks. The Black Dog solo is a nightmare. But In My Time, Kashmir, and No Quarter make it with the listen.

Wow, I did not remember the ending of this show at all. Maybe I never played it in its entirety? That BD solo is really unlike Jimmy for '75, could be the worst I've heard him that whole tour. It's so comically bad it's almost good. I love how Bonzo goes on a long drum solo to pick up the slack at the very end.

27 minutes ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

could be the worst I've heard him that whole tour. It's so comically bad it's almost good. 

I'd say i's the worst I've heard from 75 and I'm very critical of Page in 75. I mean, most of 75 is subpar as far as Page is concerned, but after the Moby Dick "break" (Where the other members go backstage) it's apparent that Page hit that Jack bottle a little too hard.

Archived