Robert Plant rejuvenated by Nashville

Ah I see. However this so called trend isn't a new thing. Guys like Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe have been doing things in Nasville for years, and those are just two names I thought of off the top of my head. Honestly I don't consider anyone involved in Raising Sand, the album or the tour to be what is considered a Nashville insider. Even Rounder is way off the Nashville radar since it caters to mostly alt. country acts. If Robert had hooked up with someone like Brent Mason it'd be worth mentioning but as far as the others go it's a HUGE stretch. Even Alison doesn't run with the Nashville crowd.

Nashville is a very musical town that caters to musicians and has been so for some years. As the other places in the world become less hospitable, it's natural that people congregate in Nashville. There were people in Nashville long before Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe came along.

Nashville is a very musical town that caters to musicians and has been so for some years. As the other places in the world become less hospitable, it's natural that people congregate in Nashville. There were people in Nashville long before Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe came along.

I could be wrong, but didn't McCartney write and/or record Sally G and Junior's Farm while in Nashville?

He chose to be interactive in the collaborative process, and relied on the selections that T-Bone made for him and Alison Krauss because he wanted to explore something that was at least somewhat new to him.

If he had wanted to show off his creativity then he would have. This was a learning opportunity for him.

Yeah it definately was new to him and it was a learning opportunity for the first record. But what about the second? I imagine that he is simply enthralled to take part in another project with AK, but does he ever wonder what kind of magic they could create if the songs were written by the both of them?

Here's another question:

He followed the trend unintentionally for Raising Sand. Would you classify his Rasing Sand 2 as following the trend on purpose? I'm not certain as to what his intentions are for the second record. Personally, I wished he would take a place on the front burner and choose the songs with AK or actually write a song or two with AK instead of doing another cover record. What do you guys think? Following a trend on purpose? Or just wanting to do another Raising Sand because he wants to (regardless of success)?

I don't think Robert follows any trend. I think he follows his passion and his desire to explore new ground. Doing a second record was because they were clearly jazzed up by how well the first one went and I think they feel it's too good to just leave it at that. I agree it would be great to see them write some music together but I don't know if that transpired. There was talk at some point about the possibility but I guess we'll have to see when the new record is out, if it happened.

I think that he is taking advantage of an available opportunity that is part of a current trend in the music business, that is what Nashville has to offer musicians. I think that he has a genuine interest in the music. Certainly he has heart, but I would say that he intentionally took advantage of the trend.

I completely disagree that he took advantage of the trend. Not his style.

Ah I see. However this so called trend isn't a new thing. Guys like Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe have been doing things in Nasville for years, and those are just two names I thought of off the top of my head. Honestly I don't consider anyone involved in Raising Sand, the album or the tour to be what is considered a Nashville insider. Even Rounder is way off the Nashville radar since it caters to mostly alt. country acts. If Robert had hooked up with someone like Brent Mason it'd be worth mentioning but as far as the others go it's a HUGE stretch. Even Alison doesn't run with the Nashville crowd.

Two very true statements. During the Americana awards show, Jim Lauderdale defined the Americana genre as "anything that cannot get radio airplay" or something to that effect. The "suits" on Music Row are both fascinated and envious of the success of Raising Sand and are probably trying to figure out how to replicate it.

FYI

Some Who fans might be surprised to know that some of the overdubs for "I Can See For Miles" of The Who Sellout were recorded at Bradley's Barn just outside of Nashville. That's where Patsy Cline did much of her recording.

The story goes that The Who were bound by their record label in England to ONLY use their studios, but sneakily did some of it at Owen Bradley's place.

The story was told to me by an audio engineer who worked on the sessions.

Yeah it definately was new to him and it was a learning opportunity for the first record. But what about the second? I imagine that he is simply enthralled to take part in another project with AK, but does he ever wonder what kind of magic they could create if the songs were written by the both of them?

I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't remember exactly where) that they planned to write some new stuff and bring up something original. I think if the chemistry is right and the inspirations are running, they will probably do it. But even an adventure lover like Robert Plant should be careful with every step and give it more time, taking risk doesn't mean you rush it. Anyway, only time will tell :)

I remember reading somewhere (sorry can't remember exactly where) that they planned to write some new stuff and bring up something original. I think if the chemistry is right and the inspirations are running, they will probably do it. But even an adventure lover like Robert Plant should be careful with every step and give it more time, taking risk doesn't mean you rush it. Anyway, only time will tell :)

Yeah I remember something Robert said about writing in the tour bus on the Raising Sand tour. I think they could write some excellent music together but I guess it's like you say only time will tell. Regardless of what occurs though, I'm just glad he's still out working :D

The Nashville thing worked for David Lee Roth.

...since this he's gone back to Van Halen.....maybe Robert will do the same.... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Yeah I remember something Robert said about writing in the tour bus on the Raising Sand tour. I think they could write some excellent music together but I guess it's like you say only time will tell. Regardless of what occurs though, I'm just glad he's still out working :D

:yesnod: :yesnod:

I don't think Robert follows any trend. I think he follows his passion and his desire to explore new ground. Doing a second record was because they were clearly jazzed up by how well the first one went and I think they feel it's too good to just leave it at that. I agree it would be great to see them write some music together but I don't know if that transpired. There was talk at some point about the possibility but I guess we'll have to see when the new record is out, if it happened.

I completely disagree that he took advantage of the trend. Not his style.

It may not be his style, but the reality is that the trend is there and he for whatever reason utilized the opportunity that is enhanced by the trend.

They call me the rocker, I can really rock a while

They call me the rocker, I can really rock a while

With a real gone mama, don't let me fake your style

-Howlin Wolf

It may not be his style, but the reality is that the trend is there and he for whatever reason utilized the opportunity that is enhanced by the trend.

It was suggested to him by Bill Flanagan that he consider doing something with Alison several years ago. It just took until their schedules freed up to make it happen. Has nothing to do with any trend. Bill thought it would be an interesting pairing. Smart man.

It was suggested to him by Bill Flanagan that he consider doing something with Alison several years ago. It just took until their schedules freed up to make it happen. Has nothing to do with any trend. Bill thought it would be an interesting pairing. Smart man.

And yet they chose Nashville, like so many others. Bob Dylan recorded Nashville Skyline long before Robert Plant and Led Zeppelin parted ways.

In February 1969, Dylan returned to Nashville to begin work on Nashville Skyline. It had been over a year since his last album, John Wesley Harding, was released, and it had been fifteen months since he produced that album, the last time he was in a recording studio. Many of the Nashville area studio musicians appearing on this album later became the core of Area Code 615 (band) and Barefoot Jerry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Skyline

I'd say that anyone would like to record in Nashville at least once if they could. It certainly turned out well for ours truly.

I'm sure the history and connections were not lost on him either. In fact he's steeped himself in it I would bet.

Maybe Eternal Light is referring to the availability of recording studios 24/7/365 and the availability of studio musicians, technicians, etc. The infrastructure is here to make albums quickly and economically, which draws musicians from all ends of the "success and fame" spectrum. (Some bands work for a year to save money to spend a week in Nashville recording). Many industries that cater to musicians are based here, such as the world headquarters of Gibson Guitar.

However, Music Row is hurting with this economic downturn and many people employed by the music industry in Nashville are understandably anxious. One independent label has failed and Sony has laid off marketing staff. More Music Row layoffs are anticipated. Musicians are heading into summer, the peak tour season for country and Bluegrass, worried about ticket sales and attendance. I just received an email that Bonnaroo still has RV sites available (rare once the performers are announced). So Nashville/Music Row is hardly immune from this economic downturn.

Archived