Album artwork on In Through the Out Door

I've got the CD version that's just got the bar scenes all over it, my favourite album artwork, does anyone know what bar it is? Or who the people are on there?

The bar is loosely based on the Old Absinthe House, at 400 Bourbon Street, in New Orleans, just around the corner from the Royal Orleans Hotel (“Royal Orleans” being a song from their Presence album).

It was Led Zeppelin's manager, Peter Grant, brainstorming with Jimmy Page, suggested that six distinct covers should be hidden in identical brown paper bags, stamped with Led Zeppelin's name, the album title and the track listing.

Storm Thorgerson, of the renowned art design company Hipgnosis, took the idea from there. He suggested that each of the covers should be a variation on the theme of a man in a bar who has just received a "Dear John" letter. Aubrey Powell built a set to replicate bars in New Orleans. Peter Christopherson handled the lighting. Richard Manning transformed the images shot in the bar into prints and colored them, giving them a sepia tone so that they looked like vintage photos. The six different album covers are all of nearly the same scene but from the points of view of the six people in the bar, other than the heartbroken man who was the centerpiece of each shot.

Once I was in NO and it was VERY late. I was walking by the closed Old Absinthe House and looked in the window. There were rats on the bar the size of small dogs. The next day I went by there and asked the bartendet about it. He said that they have to lock up all sugary liqueurs up each night in a refrigerator or the rats will knock them off the shelf and drink it all.

Even the rats know how to party in the Big Easy.

Once I was in NO and it was VERY late. I was walking by the closed Old Absinthe House and looked in the window. There were rats on the bar the size of small dogs. The next day I went by there and asked the bartendet about it. He said that they have to lock up all sugary liqueurs up each night in a refrigerator or the rats will knock them off the shelf and drink it all.

Even the rats know how to party in the Big Easy.

:o That would freak me out to see. Not sure I'd be able to go in there :lol:

The bar is loosely based on the Old Absinthe House, at 400 Bourbon Street, in New Orleans, just around the corner from the Royal Orleans Hotel ("Royal Orleans" being a song from their Presence album).

Correct. I was last there in October 2007 and took these photographs:

20071002060.jpg

20071002063.jpg

20071002066.jpg

20071002068.jpg

Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

The original LP's also featured water-colorable artwork on the inner album sleeve...

I've got 4 of the 6 versions of the cover...

2 of them are un-opened in original paper bag

2 are opened, though only one of those has been played

Personally, I don't have the guts to color any of mine...

Anyone know what it looks like, or if it's worth doing... or how much it hurts the value of them?

I believe if you look at the inside of the CD insert and the writing on the letter in the ashtray...it's the writing that became visible when the sheet was contacted with water (someone correct me if I am wrong)...

You're probably right...

The artwork on the inner sleeve on the LP (before you color it) is a black outline of like a dollar bill and some change, a cigar/ashtray, and some pistachios (if I remember correctly)...

You referenced an ashtray, so you're probably talking about the same thing.

Bummer I don't have the CD to compare. :(

Rats the size of small dogs? Remind me to NEVER go there...

I'm glad I didn't know that BEFORE I went there.

Lovely photos, Steve - thanks for sharing. That marble tap, as you know, in the middle of the bar is where the real absinthe used to be served from.

I'd like to try a bit of absinthe some day, brain cells be damned. :)

You're probably right...

The artwork on the inner sleeve on the LP (before you color it) is a black outline of like a dollar bill and some change, a cigar/ashtray, and some pistachios (if I remember correctly)...

You referenced an ashtray, so you're probably talking about the same thing.

Bummer I don't have the CD to compare. :(

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this...I used to have the Japanese mini-LP reproductions of all the LZ albums and the insert for ITTOD was the same as you describe, the black outline. I'm almost positive when you dip in water, the writing on the "Dear John" letter becomes visible...not that you can read most of it since the dude burned it!

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

The original LP's also featured water-colorable artwork on the inner album sleeve...

I've got 4 of the 6 versions of the cover...

2 of them are un-opened in original paper bag

2 are opened, though only one of those has been played

Personally, I don't have the guts to color any of mine...

Anyone know what it looks like, or if it's worth doing... or how much it hurts the value of them?

Me neither, but my a stroke of luck, I happened to find one at a record store that was coloured. I'm short one cover, but I have like 8 copies of the album. I'm looking for B. The letters are on the spine of the album.

Interesting fact: The cover of the album is also set up like the bar Jimmy met a girlfriend in.

Thanks Lz715 cannot find the letter part anywhere.nuts yes

Money. yes

Cigar. yes

No Note? no wonder he is sat at the bar.

The "Dear John" note is in the ashtray. It's only on one side of the LP insert.

When I bought the album in '79 I did what lzfan715 did and used an old watercolor brush to color the insert. I only did one side though (the side without the "Dear John" note). As a kid I used to have these books that had lots of these type of pages that would turn color when water was brushed onto them.

Interesting fact: The cover of the album is also set up like the bar Jimmy met a girlfriend in.

Jimmy met his wife Patricia at the Old Absinthe House, but that was years after the album had come out. Romantic, no? Like a touch of destiny there.

Archived