How loud were Led Zeppelin concerts?

songbird

The radio has been playing a live Rush song lately, and I was suprised to hear their performance drowned out by steady screaming somewhat like all those annoying girls at a Beatles show. Did this occur at Zep shows? I dont remember this problem when I saw the Firm or Plant years ago.

The radio has been playing a live Rush song lately, and I was suprised to hear their performance drowned out by steady screaming somewhat like all those annoying girls at a Beatles show. Did this occur at Zep shows? I dont remember this problem when I saw the Firm or Plant years ago.

JUST STAY AWAY from live recordings made in Rio or the UK.... Their fans all sing along together....

Good for them..... BUT NOT good for the listener.....

JUST STAY AWAY from live recordings made in Rio or the UK.... Their fans all sing along together....

Good for them..... BUT NOT good for the listener.....

Rush fans? For some reason I pictured them being more content doing air drums or guitar. Or air bass, if that's ever caught on...

• 9 years later...

Writer David Krebs made the case in Rolling Stone that Led Zeppelin’s live performances of “Whole Lotta Love” were the loudest on stage in 1970. But the year before that, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association has already proven Zep’s big sound credibility by measuring a performance of “Heartbreaker” at 130 dB.

On 2/12/2009 at 6:28 PM, songbird said:

I've also heard that Government Mule is EXTREMELY loud. My friend said that when he went to see them, he was standing at the back with toilet paper stuffed in his ear and it was still just painfully loud!... I think he actually said he had to leave. And, those guys only play songs that are 25 minutes long each, so its not like you could get a break from the noise very often. :lol:

Yeah, they play pretty loud but that band is all about cranking up the bass!

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/12/2009 at 7:55 PM, songbird said:

Yeah I read that Deep Purple performed at 117 dB... and apparently My Bloody Valentine (I don't really know who they are, a recent My Chemical Romance type band I think?) just set some sort of record also.

I do realize I'm necroing a 12yrs old post, (and for my first LZ forum post to boot.....), but that certainly is a facepalm statement, especially as Google is always so close at hand.  Cliff Notes version: My Bloody Valentine >predates< My Chemical Romance by a good two decades.  Soundwise, they are as alike as Pink Floyd and Aerosmith, or The Rolling Stones and Primus, that is to say, not very.

Back on topic; loudest concert I've ever attended was AC/DC For Those About To Rock tour.  Painfully loud, so much so I couldn't wait for the show to be over.  My ears rang for three days afterward.  I long to see Sunn 0))) live but rumor has they play VERY loud.  I love a good live show, but appreciate my sense of hearing for the minutia in every day sounds even more.  

Edited by tailings
forgot the 't' on a 'not'

18 minutes ago, tailings said:

I do realize I'm necroing a 12yrs old post, (and for my first LZ forum post to boot.....), but that certainly is a facepalm statement, especially as Google is always so close at hand.  Cliff Notes version: My Bloody Valentine >predates< My Chemical Romance by a good two decades.  Soundwise, they are as alike as Pink Floyd and Aerosmith, or The Rolling Stones and Primus, that is to say, not very.

:hysterical: Facepalm, indeed.

19 minutes ago, tailings said:

Back on topic; loudest concert I've ever attended was AC/DC For Those About To Rock tour.  Painfully loud, so much so I couldn't wait for the show to be over.  My ears rang for three days afterward.  I long to see Sunn 0))) live but rumor has they play VERY loud.  I love a good live show, but appreciate my sense of hearing for the minutia in every day sounds even more.  

Sunn O))), Earth, and Swans are all in the same general level of loudness as My Bloody Valentine, give or take a decibel or two. I have seen them all and my ears live to tell the tale.

• 5 months later...
On 5/29/2021 at 5:51 PM, Strider said:

Facepalm, indeed.

Sunn O))), Earth, and Swans are all in the same general level of loudness as My Bloody Valentine, give or take a decibel or two. I have seen them all and my ears live to tell the tale.

I have too.  I have tinitus in the right ear.  24/7.  Used to it now but it sucks.  For anyone out there that gets it, there is no cure.   Do not go to some place that tells you there is.  

Doesn't the venue size come into it. I saw Black Sabbath back in 1972 in Bradford UK. A fairly small venue when compared to arenas. I was squashed in that area between the front row and the stage. When the music started it was like a we were hit by a physical force. I don't think there was much in terms of health and safety back then. That was the loudest I ever heard. I saw Zep at the last night of Earls Court, that was loud, especially during Jimmy Pages violin bow solo, the high pitched notes were painful.