Obsessed Ledger Fans Call For Joker's Retirement

bigstickbonzo

Stupid People

I read this headline earlier today that fans of Heath Ledger want Warner Brothers to terminate any future involvement of the crazed psychopath from appearing in any Batman films because they feel Ledger was that good, the character deserves to be retired. I not only find this pathetic on the part of the fans but also an insult to Ledger's masterful performance. I extremely doubt he'd approve of such actions. Who's to say a performance in the future couldn't top his? I thought Nicholson couldn't be topped, but he was. Leave the judging up to movie audiences who pay and enjoy the films, not a bunch of warp-minded worshippers. It's absolutely selfish and downright disgraceful. <_<

It's completely different Steve. Retiring a jersey for being more than just great is an honor because it just shows how much the franchise has for everything you did.

With this situation, however, they want to retire a character. A character is more than just a number. An actor can retire from being the character, but the character will live on (if the producers choose to allow it of course)

That's just stupid. Yeah, Heath did a really good job and I'm sad we won't be seeing him - as the Joker or anyone else - ever again. But the thing is this: characters are not the actors that play them.

The character shouldnt be retired forever but I don't think they should try to replace Ledger in the current run of Batman films. If that happened then it would likey be someone trying to ape his performance which would almost definately lead to an inferior film.

Archived