U2 booked for a week on 'Letterman'

The Pagemeister

NEW YORK - Make room, Paul Shaffer. U2 will be on David Letterman's "Late Show" for a full week to promote their upcoming album.

The band will be Letterman's musical guest each night from March 2 to 6. It's the first time a musical guest has been given a solid week on the CBS show.

U2's new album, "No Line on the Horizon," is to be released that week. The band played its first single, "Get on Your Boots," to kick off the Grammy Awards on Sunday.

The band last appeared on the "Late Show" in October 2001.

Great.

ATTENTION BONO:

You look absolutely ridiculous in those tight leather pants and J-lo sunglasses, the amount of grease you put in your hair is enough to supply 25 Italian people, and the mere fact that you have the audacity to go by 1 name is enough to make me want to throw up.

I just thought I'd let you know before you let yourself on television like that...

[in the name of love].., please stop.

Great.

ATTENTION BONO:

You look absolutely ridiculous in those tight leather pants and J-lo sunglasses, the amount of grease you put in your hair is enough to supply 25 Italian people, and the mere fact that you have the audacity to go by 1 name is enough to make me want to throw up.

I just thought I'd let you know before you let yourself on television like that...

[in the name of love].., please stop.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Should be great to hear more of the new album :D

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a review of the new album with a bit of a comparison to Zep. Although I can't remember the source I found this earlier. Sorry!

U2 - No Line On The Horizon

(Mercury) UK release date: 2 March 2009

track listing

1. No Line On The Horizon

2. Magnificent

3. Moment of Surrender

4. Unknown Caller

5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

6. Get On Your Boots

7. Stand Up Comedy

8. Fez Being Born

9. White As Snow

10. Breathe

11. Cedars Of Lebanon

During 2001's Elevation Tour, Bono joked that U2 were once again competing for the title of World's Greatest Rock Band, in reference to their foray into dangerous territory with the disco-techno Pop album. Knocking off all competition in all rounds, the band has since maintained the status.

What's more, 30 years after it all began, U2 are still inspired, constantly reinventing their sound and rebooting the institution that they've become. And it's all due to a trio of producers.

For No Line On The Horizon, the band had initially begun working with legendary producer Rick Rubin, but the sessions were scrapped and they returned to their usual collaborators, Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite. Certainly an effective formula, for the trio has always been at the helm of every single one of U2's sonic renaissances: from the atmospheric The Unforgettable Fire to the Weimar-Wenders wanderlust of Achtung Baby. No Line On The Horizon stretches the band even further, to places where no boundaries exist.

While 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was a back to basics rock album, No Line On The Horizon sees U2 taking risks once again, yet at a measured pace, treading with the carefulness that comes with experience. While the debut single Get Your Boots On is a full-on, wham-bam whirlwind song, it takes a few listens to fully grasp and appreciate the drama, comedy and colorful textures of the rest of the album.

Some are explosive, others are more spiritual. Like Led Zeppelin, U2 have found the line between the Occident and the East and blurred it. The album kicks off with the title track, its strongest, wackiest debut since Zoo Station, alternating between desire, desperation and urgency, while Bono's voice is bursting, ready to crack on a new horizon. The riffs are reminiscent of The Fly, and the Achtungesque influences carry on in Magnificent, coupled with Kraftwerk synths. Its energy evokes War; so do its statements: "I was born to sing for you/I didn't have a choice." Glad to hear that.

There's Bono the poverty-fighting, Blair-and-Bush frequenting activist and there's Bono The Ultimate Rock Star. "I don't wanna talk about wars between nations," he declares in Get Your Boots On. Instead, he opts to chronicle his travels: He is on a spiritual quest in Fez (Fez - Being Born), a modern-day war-reporting Hemingway in Beirut (Cedars Of Lebanon) or simply his existence ("Escape yourself and gravity," he wails on Unknown Caller), echoed throughout in Eno's moody atmospherics and Adam Clayton's thick bass lines.

There is something almost palpable in the overall sound, led by The Edge's fevered guitar, often reaching fever pitch and making us wonder who the vocalist really is: Bono's vocal cords or Edge's six chords. A question answered in the latter's favor on Stand Up Comedy, where a gargantuan pop meets rock: Think of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's colliding with Revolver. The guitar screeches and transforms into a sonic monster, and it's very hard to not drown along in its frenzy, until Larry Mullen's fierce, military drumming brings in some air on Breathe, one of the best tracks.

U2 have reached the point where anything they do will be, at least in some quarters, heralded as a masterpiece - or as Bono puts it, "our best album ever." While he's not entirely right, U2 have at least the integrity to not simply live off their laurels and explore other possibilities, all the while keeping one foot in their glory days and one in the uncertainty of the future (what's next?). And as far as exploration goes, U2 seem to have finally found what they were looking for.

- Talia Soghomonian

The album is just great, I can't stop listening to it.

If you are going to judge someone based on the fact that they use one word for a name, you really are going to miss out. But I don't think they'll miss you, and I don't think you will change the minds of any of the people who love them.

If you are going to judge someone based on the fact that they use one word for a name, you really are going to miss out. But I don't think they'll miss you, and I don't think you will change the minds of any of the people who love them.

I worked all day yesterday, but today i plan to get the new CD! Did you catch the performance on Letterman? I have the entire week set up to tape. Can't wait to hear when tickets go on sale for the next tour!

U2 have stood the test of time...their fans are loyal and plentiful...and if some don't like their music, that's fine...many do, obviously :)

That's funny, Bono (aka, Paul David Hewson) goes by a nickname, oh what a strange thing to do...

and people who diss Bono are not out there making the kind of difference he makes in the world...so who cares what they think, lol...

Bono_inAfrica.jpg

bono_mali.jpg

ap_bono_071031_ssh.jpg

^ Bravo!

Not seen any of the Letterman stuff as I am in the UK, but they were all over radio and TV here last week and sounded as vibrant as ever. Well excited about summer tour dates! Seen them every tour since 1981, never fails to lift the spirits - Elevation! :beer:

Is there any North African vibe to it? I can't wait to hear it!

I just watched them (Monday nights show) and sounds good.

They didn't mention the name of the song or I missed the intro?

I remember the first time I heard I Will Follow and it was evident back then that had that something special, the x factor.

That said I have only one of their albums (Rattle and Hum), never seen them live and never really been inclined to.

Maybe this time around.

Regardless, they have made some incredible music over the years and no doubt this will sell by the truck load.

People who put Bono down for getting off his arse and trying to make a difference should take a good long look at themselves.

Are they envious, jealous or just downright petty?

Bono and U2, more power to 'em.

I thought the perfomance and the song were terrible. The lyrics were awful. And i agree with what someone else wrote. Bono looks silly dressing like that at his age. Hell, Jim Morrison gave up the leather outfits in his twenties. :D

I thought the perfomance and the song were terrible. The lyrics were awful. And i agree with what someone else wrote. Bono looks silly dressing like that at his age. Hell, Jim Morrison gave up the leather outfits in his twenties. :D

Dying at 27 will do that.

Who cares?

Is there anything you like about anything? :rolleyes:

^ Bravo!

Not seen any of the Letterman stuff as I am in the UK, but they were all over radio and TV here last week and sounded as vibrant as ever. Well excited about summer tour dates! Seen them every tour since 1981, never fails to lift the spirits - Elevation! :beer:

Thank you, Knebby!

I agree, seeing U2 live always gives me a high that lasts for days after! I have only been to six U2 shows, the last time was the "Elevation" tour... i'm overdue for a great concert and can't wait!

People who put Bono down for getting off his arse and trying to make a difference should take a good long look at themselves.

Are they envious, jealous or just downright petty?

Bono and U2, more power to 'em.

They're just plain ignorant.

Thank you, Knebby!

I agree, seeing U2 live always gives me a high that lasts for days after! I have only been to six U2 shows, the last time was the "Elevation" tour... i'm overdue for a great concert and can't wait!

They are certainly an amazing band live. I can't wait for the tour to be announced.

Archived