What could Bonham do that other drummers can't

McSeven

When I read reviews of musican, John Bonham is always made to seem like the rocks best drummer.

Why do you all think that it is? What can Bonham do that others can't.

What I see is that he brings a Heavy Funk to Zep. His drumming style is unique. You know its Bonzo by sound. Bonzo sticks out more than the Drummers for AcDc/Judas Priest, to name a few.

Mc7

Steve Gadd, gazz

gazz, Steve Gadd

Good? Yes? Better than Bonham in the swing department? I'd say yes by far.

True, but Gadd is predominately a session drummer (his fills at the end of "Aja" by Steely Dan kill me every time). Session men have to adapt to who they're playing with at the time. IMO Bonham would not have been a great session drummer; his style was suited to band oriented Zeppelin style-music, even though the man had as good of a grasp of dynamics as anybody. Take it from the flipside: could you imagine a session king like Steve Gadd or Jim Keltner (along with Bonzo, Keltner's my personal favourite) getting down with Zeppelin? Don't think they'd mesh, even if Steve and Jim are technically better players.

What always gets me about John Bonham's drumming is the sound of his playing. Sure, some of the recording engineers and Page's production techniques can take some of the credit for that, but there's something about the equipment Bonzo used and his whole style of playing that gives that totally undeniable "John Bonham Sound", often imitated but never duplicated. The fact that so many songs use Bonzo samples speaks volumes. Sure, there may be more technically proficient drummers out there, but I think Bonham's reputation speaks for itself. Again, my opinion, but give me Bonham over some soulless twat like Neil Peart or Jeff Porcaro or human metronome like Charlie Watts or Phil Rudd any day. Sorry.

I don't know... but it's definitely something...

People who try to imitate him can never quite get it, even if they do it "exactly" as Bonham did it... it's a certain soul/emotion that seeped through... it's something you cannot quantify... and it just can't be re-created, no matter how hard people try.

I've personally never heard anyone even come close to the Bonz.

Same with Page and his guitar playing... you can't see it or quantify it... you can just tell by hearing it...

It's him...

Ya know?

This has got me thinking. Are there any live recordings of John pre-Zeppelin in existence?

The only thing would be any of the Band of Joy stuff that's out there.

I have to agree with Docron here. It's nothing that you can put your finger one, it's something that you just know. Like it's his own personal touch.

Agreed.

To me Bonham did three things particularly well.

One, he got an amazing sound from his kit. I believe a lot of that is due to how hard he could hit. How can anyone not love the intro to TSRTS from LA 1977. I also liked his use of effects on songs such as Kashmir.

Two, that he could write/rip-off memorable beats. While he could keep impeccable time, he was more than a mere timekeeper. The magic of When The Levee Breaks isn't how easy or hard it is to play, it's that someone (Bonham) came up with that beat.

Three, he knew when not to play and to only play as much as the song needed.

A big bunch of the glory of Zeppelin is that the same could be said about all the members.

To me Bonham did three things particularly well.

One, he got an amazing sound from his kit. I believe a lot of that is due to how hard he could hit. How can anyone not love the intro to TSRTS from LA 1977. I also liked his use of effects on songs such as Kashmir.

Two, that he could write/rip-off memorable beats. While he could keep impeccable time, he was more than a mere timekeeper. The magic of When The Levee Breaks isn't how easy or hard it is to play, it's that someone (Bonham) came up with that beat.

Three, he knew when not to play and to only play as much as the song needed.

A big bunch of the glory of Zeppelin is that the same could be said about all the members.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

"That's brilliant!"

What my Dad said when I showed him "Moby Dick" from RAH 1970.

I've played him solos from the likes of Baker, Paice and Ward etc. and the reaction was never as enthusiastic as when I showed him Bonzo. With the others it was usually something like, "Yeah, not bad, not as good as Buddy Rich though..."

My Dad used to drum for a local rock 'n' roll band in the 1950s.

"That's brilliant!"

What my Dad said when I showed him "Moby Dick" from RAH 1970.

I've played him solos from the likes of Baker, Paice and Ward etc. and the reaction was never as enthusiastic as when I showed him Bonzo. With the others it was usually something like, "Yeah, not bad, not as good as Buddy Rich though..."

My Dad used to drum for a local rock 'n' roll band in the 1950s.

:D That's very cool your dad used to drum back then!

I don't know... but it's definitely something...

People who try to imitate him can never quite get it, even if they do it "exactly" as Bonham did it... it's a certain soul/emotion that seeped through... it's something you cannot quantify... and it just can't be re-created, no matter how hard people try.

I've personally never heard anyone even come close to the Bonz.

Same with Page and his guitar playing... you can't see it or quantify it... you can just tell by hearing it...

It's him...

Ya know?

I have to agree with Docron here. It's nothing that you can put your finger one, it's something that you just know. Like it's his own personal touch.

My thoughts exactly guys and also I think he could mix up playing hard rock and funk styles better than anyone IMO. :drumz:

There are loads of people that can play drums "better" than Bonzo, but there are few people that are better drummers.

For all the talk of production tricks helping to make Bonzo's sound, he sure did have a pretty awesome sound live.

He seemed to hit the drum hard, even when he was playing light.

He has a very distinct sound, which I would imagine is pretty hard to do on drums. You can list all the jazz drum freaks you want, but Bonzo has a style that is as recognizable as the best drummers.

One aspect of Bonzo's influence that is not often discussed is his influence in the studio when working on the tracks. He had an incredible sense of where and when the drums should be played and how they should sound. Like some have said, he really was the equalizer and alike the other 3, such an integral part of the whole process.

He just played the song how it needed to be played. He seemed to have the knack for making the drums sound just PERFECT for each and every Zep track. Amazing power, emotion, and flair. These qualities are sorely missed in this modern era of music.

Archived