Background chatter/noises

LZFord

I can hear Robert screaming in the background of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You at about 1:38-1:41 the "baby I really got to ramble..." part.

Also about 2:16 of Dazed and Confused, right after Roberts "Ahh-hh" and Jonsey's bass thing I can hear him screaming again.

And where exactly is the phone ringing in The Ocean? :huh:

Thanks and hopefully you'll find out the precise details of it.

I finally found it! Peter Grant's book, by Chris Welch, talks about it on page 63. John Paul Jones' quote talking about how he remains fascinated by the primitive way the first album was produced, "I'm sure there is one point where the vocal bleeds off one track into another. You could never erase anything properly." He also says, "Robert did some vocal guides in the studio and we couldn't get rid of them, so we turned them into an effect. That sort of thing happened all the time."

That should shed some light on this subject.

These are the types of things I love about Led Zeppelin. They didn't give a fuck about polishing anything up.

When it comes to the studio albums, then yeah. It's one of them many things I love about Zep's music. However, Jimmy seems to strict/critical/stringent when it comes to official live albums, and have made a lot of edits to the official live stuff.

Put my in for another one that doesn't hear the "phone ringing" sound bite.

Some kind words to those of you that do..."Hello?"

DT

It just may be your hearing (I myself have a little hearing damage). Listen at 1:38 and 1:41 into the song ... you might here something that MAY OR MAY NOT BE a phone ringing.

Who would design a studio where a phone ringing in the control booth would bleed into the recording room?

My theory always was that it was an unintended sonic harmony in the studio producing a sibilance-like sound ... an example being sometimes the drum cymbals will rattle during certain percussions in the room.

It just may be your hearing (I myself have a little hearing damage). Listen at 1:38 and 1:41 into the song ... you might here something that MAY OR MAY NOT BE a phone ringing.

Who would design a studio where a phone ringing in the control booth would bleed into the recording room?

My theory always was that it was an unintended sonic harmony in the studio producing a sibilance-like sound ... an example being sometimes the drum cymbals will rattle during certain percussions in the room.

Good point on the phone bit. I never thought of that as an explanation. However, it could be possible that the door to the control booth was opened at the same time the phone was ringing and thus it got recorded. <_<

There's definitely a phone ringing in The Ocean - it rings twice. To those people who haven't heard it, I'd suggest listening on a different piece of kit, for reasons I'll explain ...

If I listen to the track on my iPod or on my computer (via iTunes), I can't really hear the phone - I can only just pick it out because I know it's there, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, I play the CD in my car and I can hear the phone ringing, clear as a bell ('scuse the pun). :D

(I should add that the source is all from the same CD, which I ripped to my hard drive and then transferred to iTunes.) So it must be something to do with the type of speakers and their range or something like that (Sorry, I'm no techie, I just know what I hear and don't hear!)

• 2 weeks later...
There's definitely a phone ringing in The Ocean - it rings twice. To those people who haven't heard it, I'd suggest listening on a different piece of kit, for reasons I'll explain ...

If I listen to the track on my iPod or on my computer (via iTunes), I can't really hear the phone - I can only just pick it out because I know it's there, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, I play the CD in my car and I can hear the phone ringing, clear as a bell ('scuse the pun). :D

(I should add that the source is all from the same CD, which I ripped to my hard drive and then transferred to iTunes.) So it must be something to do with the type of speakers and their range or something like that (Sorry, I'm no techie, I just know what I hear and don't hear!)

The quality once it had been ripped would have dwindled though. Well depending what quality you rip at.

I had read an article somewhere that all the people who only know music from MP3s & their iPods, etc., are not receiving (that is, 'hearing') the full spectrum of the sound of the original recorded songs, which is sad as the sonic quality is somewhat thin and not nearly as lush as you might hear from vinyl or a compact disc. Oh well ... sounding like an old man, "Back in my time ..."

I had read an article somewhere that all the people who only know music from MP3s & their iPods, etc., are not receiving (that is, 'hearing') the full spectrum of the sound of the original recorded songs, which is sad as the sonic quality is somewhat thin and not nearly as lush as you might hear from vinyl or a compact disc. Oh well ... sounding like an old man, "Back in my time ..."

No, you're not sounding like an old man. :) I'm only 17 and I mostly just listen to my vinyl. Nothing sounds as good to me as vinyl or compact disc. Couldn't agree with you more. Kids these days, for the most part, have no idea what they are missing out on. Sad, really. :(

No, you're not sounding like an old man. :) I'm only 17 and I mostly just listen to my vinyl. Nothing sounds as good to me as vinyl or compact disc. Couldn't agree with you more. Kids these days, for the most part, have no idea what they are missing out on. Sad, really. :(

I'm only 14 & am excited because we're finally getting the parts for Mom's old turntable :party:

I'm right there with ya, too bad I don't have a turntable around. I got some material for it, aka my dad's Led Zeppelin I II and III plus Physical Graffiti and a japanese copy of the 45 rpm "Immigrant Song, Hey Hey What Can I Do" single.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived