Eric Clapton to tour with Steve Winwood this summer.

Wolfman

I went to one of the MSG shows and it was fantastic. Some of the best playing EC has done in years (plus SW isn't bad on the guitar either).....

Clapton, Steve Winwood line up summer tour slate

Published February 13, 2009 09:02 AM0 CommentsBuzz up! print email

By Tjames Madison / LiveDaily Contributor

Rock legends Eric Clapton [ tickets ] and Steve Winwood [ tickets ] will unite once again this summer for a 14-city tour that follows the pair's successful three-night New York City run last year.

The two former Blind Faith members hooked up for the three NYC shows last February after Winwood had joined Clapton during his summer 2007 set at Chicago's Crossroads Guitar Festival, where the two performed a few tunes from Winwood's old band Traffic.

The newly announced trek gets underway June 10 in East Rutherford, NJ, and runs through the end of the month, with venues scaled to arena-sized for most of the trip. Dates are included below

"I have wanted to play with Steve for a long time," Clapton said in a press statement announcing the New York City shows from last year. "I consider him a friend and a truly gifted musician. Our set at the Crossroads Festival this summer was a real treat, so I expect these shows will be good fun for us and for the fans."

Blind Faith, which initially placed the pair together, came about in 1969, after the breakup of Clapton's group Cream, and while Winwood's Traffic was on hiatus. The group, which also included bassist Ric Grech and Cream drummer Ginger Baker, released one self-titled album before splitting.

Last spring Winwood released "Nine Lives," his first solo album since 2003's "About Time." The set debuted at No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart, selling about 26,000 copies during its first week in stores.

Clapton's latest album, "The Road to Escondido," pairs him with his hero J.J. Cale. The 2006 release, which runs the spectrum of blues, rock, country and folk, is streaming at Clapton's website.

June 2009

10 - East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center

12 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center

13 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center

15 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center

17 - Chicago, IL - United Center

18 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center

20 - Omaha, NE - Qwest Center

21 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center

23 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

24 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center

26 - Glendale, AZ - Jobing.com Arena

27 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Arena

29 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena

30 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl

I went to one of the MSG shows and it was fantastic. Some of the best playing EC has done in years (plus SW isn't bad on the guitar either).....

Clapton, Steve Winwood line up summer tour slate

Published February 13, 2009 09:02 AM0 CommentsBuzz up! print email

By Tjames Madison / LiveDaily Contributor

Rock legends Eric Clapton [ tickets ] and Steve Winwood [ tickets ] will unite once again this summer for a 14-city tour that follows the pair's successful three-night New York City run last year.

The two former Blind Faith members hooked up for the three NYC shows last February after Winwood had joined Clapton during his summer 2007 set at Chicago's Crossroads Guitar Festival, where the two performed a few tunes from Winwood's old band Traffic.

The newly announced trek gets underway June 10 in East Rutherford, NJ, and runs through the end of the month, with venues scaled to arena-sized for most of the trip. Dates are included below

"I have wanted to play with Steve for a long time," Clapton said in a press statement announcing the New York City shows from last year. "I consider him a friend and a truly gifted musician. Our set at the Crossroads Festival this summer was a real treat, so I expect these shows will be good fun for us and for the fans."

Blind Faith, which initially placed the pair together, came about in 1969, after the breakup of Clapton's group Cream, and while Winwood's Traffic was on hiatus. The group, which also included bassist Ric Grech and Cream drummer Ginger Baker, released one self-titled album before splitting.

Last spring Winwood released "Nine Lives," his first solo album since 2003's "About Time." The set debuted at No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart, selling about 26,000 copies during its first week in stores.

Clapton's latest album, "The Road to Escondido," pairs him with his hero J.J. Cale. The 2006 release, which runs the spectrum of blues, rock, country and folk, is streaming at Clapton's website.

June 2009

10 - East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center

12 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center

13 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center

15 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center

17 - Chicago, IL - United Center

18 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center

20 - Omaha, NE - Qwest Center

21 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center

23 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

24 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center

26 - Glendale, AZ - Jobing.com Arena

27 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Arena

29 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena

30 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl

I'll be there!

Eric has a home in Columbus so I am surprised that Columbus is not his last venue of the tour.

The last time that he played in Columbus, it was his last concert of the tour and he said that his American family all came to see him and it was his best performance of that tour.

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood:

Live From Madison Square Garden CD / DVD Set Coming Spring 2009

In Spring 2009, a 2 CD / 2 DVD set will be released from the duo's now-historic performances at Madison Square Garden in February 2008. The actual street date has not yet been announced. Although the 3 concerts were not billed as a Blind Faith reunion, "Had To Cry Today," "Presence of the Lord," "Sleeping In The Ground" and "Well All Right" are just some of the songs from their days in that band that are featured. Clapton's solo career is given a nod with "Forever Man", "Cocaine," "Double Trouble" and "After Midnight". Winwood's career is acknowledged with "Georgia On My Mind," "Dear Mr. Fantasy" "Glad," "Pearly Queen." Clapton and Winwood's exciting take on "Them Changes" and "Voodoo Chile" were highlights at the concerts and are also included.

A limited edition 2CD / 2 DVD set is currently available for pre-order from ericclapton.com. The limited edition includes the 2CD / 2DVD set, 4 photographs by noted photographer Danny Clinch, the official 2008 Clapton / Winwood Tour Programme (as sold at Madison Square Garden), an exclusive "Live From Madison Square Garden" poster plus a $10 gift certificate to the Eric Clapton online store. The site is also accepting pre-orders for the separate 2 DVD and 2 CD sets.

Complete Track Listing of Clapton & Winwood: Live From Madison Square Garden

DVD One

01. Had To Cry Today

02. Them Changes

03. Forever Man

04. Sleeping In The Ground

05. Presence Of The Lord

06. Glad

07. Well All Right

08. Double Trouble

09. Pearly Queen

10. Tell The Truth

11. No Face, No Name, No Number

12. After Midnight

13. Split Decision

14. Rambling On My Mind (Eric Clapton solo performance)

15. Georgia On My Mind (Steve Winwood solo performance)

16. Little Wing

17. Voodoo Chile

18. Can't Find My Way Home

19. Dear Mr. Fantasy

20. Cocaine

DVD Two

Documentary: The Road To Madison Square Garden

Documentary: Rambling On My Mind (includes EC at soundcheck performing "Rambling On My Mind")

Bonus Performances: Low Down, Kind Hearted Woman, Crossroads

CD One

01. Had To Cry Today

02. Low Down

03. Them Changes

04. Forever Man

05. Sleeping In The Ground

06. Presence Of The Lord

07. Glad

08. Well All Right

09. Double Trouble

10. Pearly Queen

11. Tell The Truth

12. No Face, No Name, No Number

CD Two

01. After Midnight

02. Split Decision

03. Rambling On My Mind

04. Georgia On My Mind

05. Little Wing

06. Voodoo Chile

07. Can't Find My Way Home

08. Dear Mr. Fantasy

09. Cocaine

I'd really like to go see this but the one closeest is Chicago and it's 2 days before I leave to go on a cruise. My mum would kill me if I backed out on the cruise, and I don't really want to as this cruise is a onc ein a lifetime thing. There will be other concerts to attend later.

Wow !!! This tour will help make up for some disappointment. I'll be trying to do something to get to one show at least. Hopefully that is not the full slate of dates with more to come.

Planning on going to the concert. Tickets range anywhere from $161 to $1200 per ticket in my area. Floor seats are going for $536 and upwards to $1200 ticket.

:o Through ticketmaster or are you referring to brokers. I can't imagine them charging 1200 bucks for a ticket .

:o Through ticketmaster or are you referring to brokers. I can't imagine them charging 1200 bucks for a ticket .

I guess I'll be sitting in the nose bleed section :lol:

I went through www.tickets-for-events.com since ticket master is not selling them until 2/28/09 at 10AM. Normally, I would have gone through ticket master but I wanted to ensure that I got tickets right away. I would hate to wait, keep calling or on their website, can't get through and the tickets sold within 1 hour on 2/28/09. It's worth the price of the tickets to see them in concert. One never knows when the next time Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood will be in concert together.

I went through www.tickets-for-events.com since ticket master is not selling them until 2/28/09 at 10AM. Normally, I would have gone through ticket master but I wanted to ensure that I got tickets right away. I would hate to wait, keep calling or on their website, can't get through and the tickets sold within 1 hour on 2/28/09. It's worth the price of the tickets to see them in concert. One never knows when the next time Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood will be in concert together.

Oye...all you have to do is get them online as soon as they go on sale (through Ticketmaster, etc.). Except for Pearl Jam and sometimes, the Rolling Stones, you can always get good tix if you do it that way. I do anywhere from 4-5 concerts a month and I almost never use a scalping agency. I hope you didn't pay too much over the face value.

Archived