NEED ZEPPELIN GEAR

Zosofan11

Sup guys. I'm a young guitarist in the U.S. and I am just starting up a band. We where going to cover a lot of Zeppelin stuff and I really want to catch the essence of Page's riffs. Now I play with the Page style of heavy blues and hard rock, but I know a lot comes from the equipment he used. So maybe somebody can help me out. As of right now I have a Crate GFX-212 amp that puts out 120 watts, an Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard, a Fender 67 Stratocaster Re-issue, and a Boss DS-1 Distortion. I am currently saving up for the Epiphone G-1275 double neck, but I need some effects to. So please drop me a line and share what you know! Thank You!

Best Wishes,

Pat (Zosofan11)

Sup guys. I'm a young guitarist in the U.S. and I am just starting up a band. We where going to cover a lot of Zeppelin stuff and I really want to catch the essence of Page's riffs. Now I play with the Page style of heavy blues and hard rock, but I know a lot comes from the equipment he used. So maybe somebody can help me out. As of right now I have a Crate GFX-212 amp that puts out 120 watts, an Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard, a Fender 67 Stratocaster Re-issue, and a Boss DS-1 Distortion. I am currently saving up for the Epiphone G-1275 double neck, but I need some effects to. So please drop me a line and share what you know! Thank You!

Best Wishes,

Pat (Zosofan11)

Skip the double neck get a good tube amp.

Best Wishes,

Pat (Zosofan11)

Your guitars are fine. I'd upgrade the pickups if you haven't already, but between a Strat and a LP you should be able to make most of the tones you'll need. Honestly, I'd put the double neck on hold for awhile; there's only a couple of tunes where it would be of any real use, and you need other gear much more badly.

Get rid of the Crate. I say that because I owned one for years and have been selling them since the early Nineties. The USA-made ones were fair enough for the price, but since they moved to China the quality has really gone downhill. Pound for pound, a Crate will always sound thin and wimpy compared to just about any other name brand amplifier. Upgrade to a British tube amp as soon as possible. Marshall, Vox and Orange are names that immediately come to mind.

I've never been a fan of the DS-1. I've heard that a few high profile guitarists were using them back in the Eighties, but the sound is too brittle and trashy for my taste. In fact, I've never been a fan of distortion pedals, period; they seem to rob the low-end and richness that the natural amp distortion provides.

I've found that emulating a player has less to do with gear and everything to do with being well versed in their style. You could be given Jimmy's actual gear and sound nothing like him if you can't play like him.

Besides Jimmy never had what I'd call a signature tone. Much of the recorded stuff was tweaked song to song and live his tone was inconsistant. Jimmy is all about style. That and his tone could often be atypical for the gear he used. He got a huge thick Tele tone early on and his Les Paul tone may be the most atypical LP tone ever.

Your guitars are fine. I'd upgrade the pickups if you haven't already, but between a Strat and a LP you should be able to make most of the tones you'll need. Honestly, I'd put the double neck on hold for awhile; there's only a couple of tunes where it would be of any real use, and you need other gear much more badly.

Get rid of the Crate. I say that because I owned one for years and have been selling them since the early Nineties. The USA-made ones were fair enough for the price, but since they moved to China the quality has really gone downhill. Pound for pound, a Crate will always sound thin and wimpy compared to just about any other name brand amplifier. Upgrade to a British tube amp as soon as possible. Marshall, Vox and Orange are names that immediately come to mind.

I've never been a fan of the DS-1. I've heard that a few high profile guitarists were using them back in the Eighties, but the sound is too brittle and trashy for my taste. In fact, I've never been a fan of distortion pedals, period; they seem to rob the low-end and richness that the natural amp distortion provides.

Thanks for the advice! As for the Crate it is from the 90's, and actually a good piece of work, but i was looking into some Marshall stuff to...

Best Wishes,

Pat (Zosofan11)

Fixed that for ya.

In any case, I'm with danelectro. His gear won't do you shit if you can't play like him, which is really all you need

Archived