Led Zeppelin Classics With a Classical Twist

SteveAJones

Good to know how these musicians were brought about for each show. More detailed information on this would be welcome as they went from city to city and around the world. How much P/P rehearsed with each orchestra, how they were hired and deciding on which songs the hired hands would play. The songs would change from each performance.

Good to know how these musicians were brought about for each show. More detailed information on this would be welcome as they went from city to city and around the world. How much P/P rehearsed with each orchestra, how they were hired and deciding on which songs the hired hands would play. The songs would change from each performance.

I can answer this, at least to some extent. Generally speaking, Page & Plant did not

rehearse with the local orchestras brought in on the tour. The orchestras typically

rehearsed during soundcheck with only Ed Shearmur, Michael Lee and Charlie Jones.

Binky (crew member) would often be on guitar.

I vividly remember the soundcheck at The Palace of Auburn Hills on 4/1/95 because

I wore a Newcastle football scarf to the gig which clearly bemused Michael during the rehearsal. Anyway, I remember Ed explaining to the orchestra how, and I quote, "Jimmy Page is very shy and retiring..." and how they shouldn't expect much interaction with him prior to the show. The orchestra had sheet music for the songs they were to contribute to; I remember them running through 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Gallows Pole, among others, had already been rehearsed before their arrival.

I can answer this, at least to some extent. Generally speaking, Page & Plant did not

rehearse with the local orchestras brought in on the tour. The orchestras typically

rehearsed during soundcheck with only Ed Shearmur, Michael Lee and Charlie Jones.

Binky (crew member) would often be on guitar.

I vividly remember the soundcheck at The Palace of Auburn Hills on 4/1/95 because

I wore a Newcastle football scarf to the gig which clearly bemused Michael during the rehearsal. Anyway, I remember Ed explaining to the orchestra how, and I quote, "Jimmy Page is very shy and retiring..." and how they shouldn't expect much interaction with him prior to the show. The orchestra had sheet music for the songs they were to contribute to; I remember them running through 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Gallows Pole, among others, had already been rehearsed before their arrival.

Thanks for the info Steve. Not to throw off this thread as this could be a subject on your Zeppelin Mysteries thread. Wasn't this show at Auburn Hills the one where someone in the audience tried to get on stage and go after Jimmy with a knife? I know security stopped him in plenty of time. The guy said because Jimmy was Satan or something.

Thanks for the info Steve. Not to throw off this thread as this could be a subject on your Zeppelin Mysteries thread. Wasn't this show at Auburn Hills the one where someone in the audience tried to get on stage and go after Jimmy with a knife? I know security stopped him in plenty of time. The guy said because Jimmy was Satan or something.

Right tour, wrong show. The attack happened the night before, during the first of the two nights at The Palace of Auburn Hills (3/31/95). I attended that show as well, and I can tell you it had no effect on the performance; audience sound and video recordings confirm this fact. There's really no mystery to be found here, as the nutter's attack was in the local papers that week. Here is one of a few articles published on the incident:

1995_04_04DetroitNews.jpg

The Detroit News 4/4/95

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Right tour, wrong show. The attack happened the night before, during the first of the two nights at The Palace of Auburn Hills (3/31/95). I attended that show as well, and I can tell you it had no effect on the performance; audience sound and video recordings confirm this fact. There's really no mystery to be found here, as the nutter's attack was in the local papers that week. Here is one of a few articles published on the incident:

1995_04_04DetroitNews.jpg

The Detroit News 4/4/95

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Thanks for the article Steve. Never knew the complete details of this but heard it mentioned on the news back then. What a wack job!

Thanks for the article Steve. Never knew the complete details of this but heard it mentioned on the news back then. What a wack job!

My favorite memory from that night was walking outside after the show to find billions of moonlit flurries covering everything in a crisp, cool blanket of snow matching the white

shirt Robert had worn. :)

Here's an ad for the show:

pp95ad1cc.JPG

The review of the concert appeared twice in the Hartford Courant newspapers. Here's both reviews:

original:

Hartford95rccc.JPG

updated:

Hartford95acc.JPG

Note the spelling of "The Wonton Song".

I was at the show. Here's my ticket stub:

ppticket3cc.JPG

Ah, memories. :D Steve I see your copy is stamped. Do you need an original copy of this insert? If so, I believe I have an extra copy.

Robert

Ah, memories. :D Steve I see your copy is stamped. Do you need an original copy of this insert? If so, I believe I have an extra copy.

Robert

Robert, thanks for posting both versions of the review as well as explaining a bit more about the source. I received those xerox copies from a third party, your clippings are

much more clear and I've replaced mine with them. I would welcome a trade for your

spare copy of the Hartford Courant insert.

Robert, thanks for posting both versions of the review as well as explaining a bit more about the source. I received those xerox copies from a third party, your clippings are

much more clear and I've replaced mine with them. I would welcome a trade for your

spare copy of the Hartford Courant insert.

Hi Steve!

I'll definitely search to make sure I have a spare. I'll send you an IM or email. I have a couple of other clippings for you including an interview conducted with JPJ before the start of his tour where he was erronously stated to be Led Zeppelin's drummer, plus JP's Outrider tour concert review. Here's another story from the Hartford show that is found in the fanzine Proximity volume 7, number 20 Jan-Feb-Mar 1996. It's an article found on page 17. This is the Peter Grant memorial issue. Here's a story on how Andy Lee had a memorable night! Sorry, I don't have a scanner I took a photo with an old camera.

hartprox3cc.JPG

Robert

Archived