Songs LZ COULD have and SHOULD have played live...

ZepFanatic

I've always thought there were certain songs LZ could have and should have played live that they never did...below are some of the ones I've always thought of:

Custard Pie

Houses of the Holy

In the Light

Good Times Bad Times (as a true, full version)

The Rover

Hots on For Nowhere

Candy Store Rock

I could go on...what does anyone else think?

I've always thought there were certain songs LZ could have and should have played live that they never did...below are some of the ones I've always thought of:

Custard Pie

Houses of the Holy

In the Light

The Rover

Hots on For Nowhere

Candy Store Rock

I like your list... especially In the Light, The Rover

I also like the Your Time is Gonna Come choice

How about acoustic?

I would like to have heard them play Hats Off to Roy Harper (even though I'm not crazy about the monkey lyrics) leading into a country blues, rockabilly medley... That's Alright Mama, etc.

This is one area I like about post Zep projects because the guys have played songs live that were not played by Zeppelin. Hopefully, this will continue.

For god's sake they could have only played what they did and they should have played every song they recorded in the studio live. If you count in Plant solo, Page solo, Page/Plant, then the list grows very short on what they didn't play live

Custard Pie

Houses of the Holy

In the Light

The Rover

Hots on For Nowhere

Candy Store Rock

Great choices. I would add Carouselrambra, Ramble On and Hey Hey What Can I Do to the list. Not sure if they ever played Tea For One, but if not, I think that would sound great live too.

Great choices. I would add Carouselrambra, Ramble On and Hey Hey What Can I Do to the list. Not sure if they ever played Tea For One, but if not, I think that would sound great live too.

It was in medlies for SIBLY in 77. Other than that, Page and Plant played Tea for One in Japan in the nineties.

Heck, I would have love for them to have played all of their material live (even some more of their takes on cover tunes),but mostly I would have loved Tea For One and Living Loving Maid to have been played. As for a Zep spin on a cover tune, I would have loved for them to do Nadine.

Zep never played Crunge in its entirety live, but was played in the Dazed and Confused medley on How the West Was Won. The most popular performance of OotT was on Blueberry Hill 1970 (crappy quality though).

They played -the crunge and -when the levee breaks in 1975 live. maybe not in entirety, but the songs.

They also played The Wanton Song in 75 but dropped it from their setlist. Don't know why. WTLB was terrible live.

Imo, it was not that good live, cause they knew it was a one off and they werent gonna play it regularly. i'm thinking where they were at, at that time, they just didnt want to play anything that couldnt take off from the record version, and that was definately one song, they could not just make happen, ya know.

But what is funny, if they stuck around and any subsequent records failed, or whatever....they could have played that song and done great, just by the numbers of the song.

Imo, it was not that good live, cause they knew it was a one off and they werent gonna play it regularly. i'm thinking where they were at, at that time, they just didnt want to play anything that couldnt take off from the record version, and that was definately one song, they could not just make happen, ya know.

But what is funny, if they stuck around and any subsequent records failed, or whatever....they could have played that song and done great, just by the numbers of the song.

True. Zep, by nature, needs to extend and improvise every song. You can't do that with a song so precise and atmospheric like Levee.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd agree with that to an extent. But the audience seemed to love it at the shows they played it at.

Archived