The 81st Academy Awards

THE FIRST LEDZEP

One of the worst Oscars ever. First, the song and dance routine by Hugh Jackman was horrible. The new way of presenting awards was awful. I'd rather see clips of the movies/actors instead hearing a bunch of dreck from former winners. Worst of all, my boy Mickey Rourke got SCREWED. :angry: Also, why the hell did the camera seem to focus more on Queen Latifa than the screens showing the actors that passed away this year. It was obvious the gays got their way tonight. Whatever, they run Hollywood, the land of fruits and nuts. Trust me, I lived there. It's true.

P.S. I am glad that Kate Winslet won.

One of the worst Oscars ever. First, the song and dance routine by Hugh Jackman was horrible. The new way of presenting awards was awful. I'd rather see clips of the movies/actors instead hearing a bunch of dreck from former winners. Worst of all, my boy Mickey Rourke got SCREWED. :angry: Also, why the hell did the camera seem to focus more on Queen Latifa than the screens showing the actors that passed away this year. It was obvious the gays got their way tonight. Whatever, they run Hollywood, the land of fruits and nuts. Trust me, I lived there. It's true.

I find this post incredibly offensive.

Agreed!!!! Mickey got SCREWED big time. This is so wrong!! He should have won. I mean Sean Penn is remarkable, amazing actor but The Wrestler is a piece of art and Mickey's acting was heartbreaking. I'm disappointed!!

"It was obvious the gays got their way tonight. Whatever, they run Hollywood, the land of fruits and nuts. Trust me, I lived there. It's true."

Actually I didn't read this last line, this is offensive and I don't agree. I just think Mickey should have won that's all.

Mickey should of won, but his forthright views have upset too many Academy people in the past so I bet that went against him. He even conceded to Sean before the ceremony, knowing that his chances of a win were not that good. Shame, as he is brilliant.

I am a bit surprised about the amount of Oscars Slumdog won.... I haven't seen it, but a few friends have and I have read average reviews. Comes across as being a tad overrated?

Coverage by Nikke Finke

Live-Snarking 2009 Academy Awards: Oscars Slumming, Show Stumbling

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/live...academy-awards/

Why don't you get off you high horse? I'm so sick of everyone acting so damn proper on this board. Everything is offensive or out of line unless you kiss everyone's butt. Wow. I called gays fruits. Well guess what, some gays use that term too (along with queen and fairy). So of my close friends are gay and THEY AGREED WITH ME about the whole Milk thing (well honestly, only one agreed with me). As soon as I called one my gay friends up last night, he started laughing because he knew I hated the whole song and dance thing at the beginning. He doesn't care. It's people like you who make a stink when "something is out of line". Maybe if we just excepted things and didn't pretend the world is perfect, we wouldn't have controversy everytime some says something out of line. I'm not saying you should go out and intentionally hurt someone's feelings either.If you notice,I didn't use the term faggot (which most gays do find offensive). I'm allowed to my opinion and if you don't like it, too bad.

I think this was the first time since I can remember that I hadn't seen any of the films selected for Best Picture.

I nearly choked up seeing Roy Scheider and Paul Newman on the tribute. :heartbreaker:

Mickey Rourke didn't get the Oscar because:

1. He got the Golden Globe

2. Penn got the SAG, which is considered more an honor than a Globe. That should have told you something. If his performance was seriously a knock out (no pun), he would have swept. But he's still a great actor.

I honestly think the whole Wrestlemania thing hurt him. Not sure if any of you saw this but they were sort of building a match up at WM25 between Rourke and the wrestler, Chris Jericho. They started hyping it around the time Rourke won the Golden Globe. I think he quickly realized that this could hurt his chances at the Oscar and squashed it. I think the word got around and it was too late. Damn shame. Milk was a great flick and Sean Penn was very worthy but, he has already won a Best Actor Award. I think Mickey was better and deserved it more.

I didnt see the movie yet (Milk) but intend to. I am really surprized that Penn played a gay character? Knowing what he is like and his past. Hell, he had a cell right next to Ramirez, the serial killer. Was in for one of his shananagans. His run ins with the law dont earn him any respect with me simply because the guy is loaded. Why do these rich athletes and movie stars get into trouble? Still I like Penn. Cant say the same for that idiot Downey Jr.

ps I see that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was up for another award. Still cant believe he made it so big. My sister knows him. graduated with him.

He's a brilliant actor--no idea what he's like personally. But he's the kind of actor who completely makes himself over into the character he's playing so that he's hardly recognizable.

Mickey Rourke didn't get the Oscar because:

1. He got the Golden Globe

2. Penn got the SAG, which is considered more an honor than a Globe. That should have told you something. If his performance was seriously a knock out (no pun), he would have swept. But he's still a great actor.

Some Movie critic the other day, said, on the radio, that Penn had a lock on the Oscar....

He called it the Tom Hanks Rule -- "If you play a gay in a movie, and you die... you get the Oscar...." :slapface:

As do I. You're acting like a total bigot, and like it or not, Wolfman, it's offensive.

I have no issues with your post prior to that remark, nor do I have an issue with your post after the remark. You've got a right to your opinion, but it could be stated a bit more tactfully.

I didnt see the movie yet (Milk) but intend to. I am really surprized that Penn played a gay character? Knowing what he is like and his past. Hell, he had a cell right next to Ramirez, the serial killer. Was in for one of his shananagans. His run ins with the law dont earn him any respect with me simply because the guy is loaded. Why do these rich athletes and movie stars get into trouble? Still I like Penn. Cant say the same for that idiot Downey Jr.

How do you mean it's surprising? I thought Penn is into politics and human rights etc.

As do I. You're acting like a total bigot, and like it or not, Wolfman, it's offensive.

I have no issues with your post prior to that remark, nor do I have an issue with your post after the remark. You've got a right to your opinion, but it could be stated a bit more tactfully.

You have the right to your opinion, but I think you are being way over-sensitive. That seems to be a common thing on this site anyway. If my gay friends don't care than why do you care? It's a common fact that Hollywood is mostly run by gays and Jews. So what. Doesn't bother me. As for the term that Hollywood is the land of fruits and nuts, I didn't create it. People use that term in LA all the time. And guess what? Some of them are gay. If you want acceptance then you have to take a little teasing here and there. It's one thing to be a racist, and another to "bust balls" (no pun indeed :D ). I do not have any problems with gays and never had. Get over it people.

He is the pride of Fairport high school where my sister and daughters all graduated from. He graduated from there around 85 in my sisters class. But lets face it, the guy isnt good looking. And to make it that big in the motion picture industry and not have the looks must say alot. Some make on looks alone and through connections. Many make it on connections.

Yeah but he doesn't play pretty-boy roles--he's a character actor. So he doesn't need looks--for a lot of parts, you don't want some stunningly handsome guy, you want somebody who looks more like the rest of us! Lots of major actors aren't good-looking.

Oh, and count me in on being offended too, Wolfman--not by the language so much as by the attitude. If some of your best friends really are gay, it's not very logical to be so pissed that a gay-themed movie won. You're entitled not to think it was a worthy film--and I haven't seen it, so I don't know--but that doesn't seem to be your objection to it.

Shut up.

You have the right to your opinion, but I think you are being way over-sensitive. That seems to be a common thing on this site anyway. If my gay friends don't care than why do you care? It's a common fact that Hollywood is mostly run by gays and Jews. So what. Doesn't bother me. As for the term that Hollywood is the land of fruits and nuts, I didn't create it. People use that term in LA all the time. And guess what? Some of them are gay. If you want acceptance then you have to take a little teasing here and there. It's one thing to be a racist, and another to "bust balls" (no pun indeed :D ). I do not have any problems with gays and never had. Get over it people.

It's not being over-sensitive. It's called "knowing your audience". This site is not the place for you to extoll your opinions of gays or your belief in some gay/Jewish conspiracy to control Hollywood. What next, the Jews control all the banks too?

:rolleyes:

Archived