Zep Songs covered by other famous bands

audioservant

One day on You Tube, I listened to Tori Amos' version of "Down By the Seaside" and thought it was very strange! She certainly put her own spin on it! Also, Sheryl Crow's "D'yer Mak'er" was ok. I may order it on Amazon one day just to re-listen to it again.

I can't remember if I've heard her "Down by the Seaside" but I think her version of "Whole Lotta Love" absolutely sucks. Might just be me!

Susan Tedeschi covered "Rock and Roll" and while I don't really like the backing track (it was Double Trouble, sounds too Texas white-boy-blues for a Zep song) I think Susan sings it fantastically. Of course, I don't think she could ever sing ANYTHING and not make it sound amazing!

Also.. and I might get shot for this... I really enjoy Hayseed Dixie's bluegrass cover of Stairway. :D :D

Joshua Redman, a jazz sax player, covered The Crunge and it is very funky. I think I like it better than the original because (sorry to say) it lacks the nausea-inducing synth "horn section" and the screechy vocals that Zeppelin's had and which I hate. Love Zep and pretty much everything else they did, but I call that song "The Cringe" . :P

Listen to Redman's version (for free, wow) here...

http://www.imeem.com/jazzfrisson/music/2dv...man_the_crunge/

It's alright. I don't like it that much. In my opinion, nobody plays Zeppelin better than Zeppelin :)

I can't remember if I've heard her "Down by the Seaside" but I think her version of "Whole Lotta Love" absolutely sucks. Might just be me!

Susan Tedeschi covered "Rock and Roll" and while I don't really like the backing track (it was Double Trouble, sounds too Texas white-boy-blues for a Zep song) I think Susan sings it fantastically. Of course, I don't think she could ever sing ANYTHING and not make it sound amazing!

Also.. and I might get shot for this... I really enjoy Hayseed Dixie's bluegrass cover of Stairway. :D :D

Can't say I've heard Tori cover Whole Lotta Love. Susan Tedeschi has a great voice and I can see her doing okay with Rock and Roll. Bluegrass version of Stairway :Thinking: I'd have to hear it <_<

It's alright. I don't like it that much. In my opinion, nobody plays Zeppelin better than Zeppelin :)

No, but I think its cool to hear that song done by a jazz/funk type of artist. The Crunge after all was a tip of the hat to James Brown and that type of music... and while Zep was poking fun at that, to me the Joshua Redman version kinda sounds like how it would 'actually' sound like if it were done seriously. :lol: Don't know if that makes sense but its just how I see it. :lol: I guess the cheesy synthesizer in Zep's version bugs me too much to appreciate what would be an otherwise fuckin' awesome song (don't know how they ever kept track of those time changes), and the jazzy Redman version lets me appreciate the song because it uses a real keyboard. :lol:

Can't say I've heard Tori cover Whole Lotta Love. Susan Tedeschi has a great voice and I can see her doing okay with Rock and Roll. Bluegrass version of Stairway :Thinking: I'd have to hear it <_<

Hayseed Dixie is a band that does all bluegrass covers of 'heavy metal' classics. :lol: I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but I'm pretty sure they're very much tongue in cheek about it. Their Stairway is pretty clever if you can listen to it knowing that. :D Not something I listen to everyday of course. :lol:

I like her earlier solo stuff. Did you like her version of Down by the Seaside?

I've only heard a version of Down by the Seaside by her and Robert together. Hard to say I like it or not, it's so...strange. It' not a real duet like how Robert and Alison sing together, almost sounds like a mix.

Is there a version of that by Tori alone?

I've only heard a version of Down by the Seaside by her and Robert together. Hard to say I like it or not, it's so...strange. It' not a real duet like how Robert and Alison sing together, almost sounds like a mix.

Is there a version of that by Tori alone?

Oh sorry - I should have clarified - that was the version I was referring to with Robert. I don't mind the slowed down aspect but something isn't "right" - maybe it's the mix, the guitar isn't quite there. I dunno - doesn't grab me.

Oh sorry - I should have clarified - that was the version I was referring to with Robert. I don't mind the slowed down aspect but something isn't "right" - maybe it's the mix, the guitar isn't quite there. I dunno - doesn't grab me.

Lol, talk abut the guitar, you know it's Robert playing that, don't you? So no wonder it's not quite there. :lol:

Definitely not the English version but I would be quite curious to hear it.

This version of Encomium that contains Mana's Fool In The Rain was only released in Latin America. Too bad, because it's just about the best thing on the album.

This version of Encomium that contains Mana's Fool In The Rain was only released in Latin America. Too bad, because it's just about the best thing on the album.

Interesting - thanks for finding/posting. I'll have to give it a proper listen (beyond the wee hours of the morning!)

Jeff Buckley covered "Night Flight" - though I gather Robert wasn't keen, surprising since he is such a big fan of Jeff's.

I loved Jeff's version - was there a studio recording somewhere I missed though? The only one I have is from the Live at Sine cd.

No, but I think its cool to hear that song done by a jazz/funk type of artist. The Crunge after all was a tip of the hat to James Brown and that type of music... and while Zep was poking fun at that, to me the Joshua Redman version kinda sounds like how it would 'actually' sound like if it were done seriously. :lol: Don't know if that makes sense but its just how I see it. :lol: I guess the cheesy synthesizer in Zep's version bugs me too much to appreciate what would be an otherwise fuckin' awesome song (don't know how they ever kept track of those time changes), and the jazzy Redman version lets me appreciate the song because it uses a real keyboard. :lol:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I do think it is an interesting cover though. :) It's kinda cool. :) I enjoy the synthesizer quite a bit actually. :DB)

Musically it's quite good, but the vocals need improvement. Not an easy song to do, which is probably why it isn't covered much. What's the deal with the bubbles?

Funny how the singer says "Sing out Harry Carey". That's funny in reference to the legendary Chicago Cubs broadcaster.

Yeah, I agree with you here. These guys are all about the music, especially the guitars. However, their vocals aren't very good. Here is a good example of the guitar work they are capable of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO9R1NBCyMM...feature=related

or here for the vocally challanged part, though this one is kind of funny.

I'm not sure what is up with the bubbles or Harry Carey. Since they are in Iowa there it doesn't make much sense. He probably always sings it like that.

phthah

Archived