Buddy Miller heart attack

swandown

Nashville music great Buddy Miller recovering after heart surgery

Buddy Miller - one of Nashville's most celebrated singers, songwriters, guitarists, recording artists and producers - apparently suffered a heart attack in Baltimore, MD, on Thursday, April [sic] 19. He was on tour with Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin and Shawn Colvin: the tour dubbed "3 Girls And Their Buddy."

Miller, 56, was taken to John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, and he underwent a triple-bypass heart surgery on Friday, April 20. The surgery was successful, and Miller will likely be recovering in Baltimore for several weeks.

Named the "Artist of the Decade" by No Depression magazine, Miller has written songs that have been recorded by the Dixie Chicks, Lee Ann Womack, Brooks & Dunn and others. He is a veteran of Harris' Spyboy band, and in the past year he has been touring as a featured instrumentalist in Robert Plant and Alison Krauss' band. He has produced albums for Solomon Burke, Allison Moorer, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and others. Miller has lately been producing a new album for Patty Griffin. He has been called "the best country singer" alive by Steve Earle.

Miller is married to Nashville singer-songwriter Julie Miller, and the pair have a duo album coming out on New West Records on March 3.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090221/TUNEIN02/90221022

Thanks for sharing this. This is such sad news and I hadn't heard this. I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery. What an asset he was to Robert and Alison on their recent tour and album. A phenomenal and very versatile player.

A friend of mine recently saw him with Emmy Lou Harris and Kathy Griffin and during the show he was introduced, probably by Emmy Lou and she mentioned him playing with Robert and Alison, which got a big applause.

Edit- Wrong Griffin. That's Patty and not Kathy. OOPS!

The dates in the article are very confusing, since for some reason they're referring to April--but if this is indeed new news, then I'm very sorry indeed to hear about this. He's an amazingly talented guy, and I'm looking forward to his album, which Robert guests on.

I hope he makes a complete recovery from this event and receives all the help that he needs to change to a healthier lifestyle to prevent a heart attack from reoccuring. You only have one heart.

Sometimes heart problems are hereditary, and nothing to do with lifestyle. No idea what the case is here, but I certainly join you in hoping he makes a complete recovery.

Buddy Miller suffers heart attack, will not perform at UPAC tonight

February 21, 2009

Guitarist and country music legend Buddy Miller, who was scheduled to play The Broadway Theater at Ulster Performing Arts Center in Kingston tonight, has had a heart attack and will not perform.

Miller was to take the stage with with Emmylou Harris, Shawn Colvin and Patty Griffin at 8 p.m. as part of their "Three Girls and Their Buddy" show.

Another musician will take his place, said Bardavon 1869 Opera House Executive Director Chris Silva, who also runs UPAC. It was not immediately known who the replacement would be.

Miller suffered the heart attack Friday and also did not perform at the Beacon Theatre in New York City, where the group was scheduled to play that night.

New West Records has a video where Buddy talks about his new record which features a track Robert sang on. He also talks a bit about working on the Raising Sand project:

http://www.newwestrecords.com/BuddyAndJuli...about-the-album

Great feature and thanks for sharing. Very candid in front of the camera. I liked him talking about the first night of the Robert and Alison tour and how they felt when they walked out on stage. Good work!

I hope he makes a complete recovery from this event and receives all the help that he needs to change to a healthier lifestyle to prevent a heart attack from reoccuring. You only have one heart.

Buddy does not have any "lifestyle issues" that would precipitate the need for bypass surgery other than hard work and touring. He, like a lot of Americans I know, probably should take more vacations.

Great feature and thanks for sharing. Very candid in front of the camera. I liked him talking about the first night of the Robert and Alison tour and how they felt when they walked out on stage. Good work!

You're welcome. I thought it was a good interview too and he clearly loved being a part of the Raising Sand project.

Buddy does not have any "lifestyle issues" that would precipitate the need for bypass surgery other than hard work and touring. He, like a lot of Americans I know, probably should take more vacations.

His medical staff will probably advise him about the cause and what he needs to do. As Aqua noted, it could be hereditary, but we have no way of knowing his exact medical condition. Heart attacks do not usually happen by accident though. There is usually a reason for their occurrence. Heredity, stress, diet, exercise, blood pressure, cholesterol, lack of sleep, or a heart condition could all play a role.

I'm grateful that he's still among the living. That's a blessing. Not everyone pulls through a heart attack.

His medical staff will probably advise him about the cause and what he needs to do. As Aqua noted, it could be hereditary, but we have no way of knowing his exact medical condition. Heart attacks do not usually happen by accident though. There is usually a reason for their occurrence. Heredity, stress, diet, exercise, blood pressure, cholesterol, lack of sleep, or a heart condition could all play a role.

We don't have any way of knowing that's very true and of course best not to speculate. Just wish him well for a speedy recovery.

You're welcome. I thought it was a good interview too and he clearly loved being a part of the Raising Sand project.

Robert recently guested on Buddy's upcoming album, on the track "Whatcha Gonna Do Leroy?" Here's the two of them performing it at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville at the Americana Music Awards in September.

What would we do without YouTube?

Robert recently guested on Buddy's upcoming album, on the track "Whatcha Gonna Do Leroy?" Here's the two of them performing it at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville at the Americana Music Awards in September.

What we do without YouTube?

Thanks for posting! Great to see that again. Fantastic song and they really work well together. Looking forward to hearing all of Buddy's album when it's released next month.

I don't know what we did without YouTube :lol:

Thanks for posting! Great to see that again. Fantastic song and they really work well together. Looking forward to hearing all of Buddy's album when it's released next month.

I don't know what we did without YouTube :lol:

That's certainly a good one. Will definitely get Buddy's album too. I think they worked pretty well on RS as well.

I had never actually, seen that performance until I decided to do a search. Didn't know Robert had performed at the awards show. Had seen his speech. It was as humorous as ever!

What would we do without YouTube?

Thanks for that. Best wishes to this lovely man for a full and speedy recovery.

Archived