Will we see a Coverdale/Page reunion?

FullyLedded

Personally, I liked more songs on CP than WIC, but they wont go again. I still think JP and JPJ should do something with or without Jason. Why is Page&Plant ok, but not Page&Jones? thats BS in my eyes. I also like the idea of Jimmy with a whole new band, but they MUST be unknowns, that would help make it fresh, 3 other hungry guys with new ideas and JP's new stuff, that would be cool.

:unsure: Nobody has said Page&Jones is not ok.

It's not the fans' fault that the project fell out. I think most fans will be thrilled to see JP musicially active again.

Interesting thoughts by all. Coverdale/Page was the best guitar playing on vinyl that Jimmy has done since Zepppelin. I just thought that Coverdale brought out the best in Page. Page, Jones, Coverdale, Bonham would not be a terrible lineup to record and tour with. My only other guess is that Jimmy is so afraid to venture out with young musicians that he will just sit and wilt away until he passes on. Maybe work on the O2 DVD, but that is it. That is such a shame for a legend.

Thanks, I see what you were saying.

Hey, I'd welcome a MK III reunion.

I'd not mind that either :)

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not the old 'my career is finished so i'll shove out a blues album" routine!

Depends on how it's done. Knowing Jimmy, it would be awesome and not sound like he was just recording some blues tracks blah blah.

I'd not mind that either :)

Though it doesn't seem to happen soon.

Anyway I think there's even less hope for a MK II reunion.

I've never been on a DP forum, it would be interesting to see if some DP fans bash Ritchie as hard as...eeer you know. B)

Though it doesn't seem to happen soon.

Anyway I think there's even less hope for a MK II reunion.

I've never been on a DP forum, it would be interesting to see if some DP fans bash Ritchie as hard as...eeer you know. B)

I've never been on a DP forum either but you raise an interesting question! Perhaps someone here visits one and can inform us :D

I've never been on a DP forum either but you raise an interesting question! Perhaps someone here visits one and can inform us :D

I've been on a few....Ritchie has an almost...god like status within the cannon despite his rather "prickly" personality.

The people who get slagged the most are Ian Gillan and Steve Morse. Though Ritchie has his detractors.

Different dynamic. Purple's family tree is so huge that you tend to have clearly defined factions.

As for Mk III.....many people would like to see it simply because it's been 35 years and they were together so briefly. Yet we have the Cal Jam video's....and two great albums "Burn" and "Stormbringer"....

I think Knebby would agree that MK III was a pretty good if not great version of DP.

Here's Burn from Cal Jam...all the way back in 1974

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YuQMIeK28U

Jeff

I for one was really disappointed that C/P never toured the US. I think they would do well if they tried again, kind of like Heaven and Hell (Sabbath with Dio) being more successful now than when they went out during the grunge era with Dehumanizer. Both projects suffered because of the rise of grunge.

This would have been something Jimmy should have done before Coverdale reformed Whitesnake again, though. Since now Coverdale is surfing on Whitesnake nostalgia.

This would have been something Jimmy should have done before Coverdale reformed Whitesnake again, though. Since now Coverdale is surfing on Whitesnake nostalgia.

It makes no sense to say "should have done" IMO. It's obvious that Jimmy is not interested.

Forum member Danelectro mentioned the best Idea I have heard in a long time in this thread--

Page and Double Trouble. That just works. A hip instrumental act might be just the thing. Bluesier version of Deathwish. More film scores! More fully realized Page vision.

Following on fro JMorton's Purple chat - some cool news

STORMBRINGER 35TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION=====================================

This week sees the long awaited release of Deep Purple's 1974 epic, Stormbringer, freshly remastered with bonus tracks including remixes completed by Glenn during his visit to Abbey Road Studios back in 2006! "Holy Man", "You Can't Do It Right", "Love Don't Mean A Thing" and "Hold On" all received the Glenn Hughes treatment!

You can listen to a rare interview with Jon Lord and Glenn from 1974 during a USA promotional blitz soon after Stormbringer was released:

http://www.glennhughes.com/superrockspecial.html

Stormbringer features the MK III Deep Purple line-up of David Coverdale (vocals), Glenn Hughes (vocals and bass), Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Ian Paice (drums) and Jon Lord (keyboards). Recorded in Musicland Studios, Munich and released in 1974, Stormbringer is the Deep Purple album that often doesn’t sound like a Deep Purple album. Although considered proponents of the hard rock genre, as hinted at on previous album, Burn, Stormbringer saw the band create a more funk and soul-influenced sound.

Owing to the direction of Stormbringer, it was to be Blackmore’s last studio album with the MK III line-up. He left to form Rainbow, making way for the MK IV version of Deep Purple, with American Tommy Bolin on guitar.

CD Tracklisting:

1. Stormbringer

2. Love Don’t Mean a Thing

3. Holy Man

4. Hold On

5. Lady Double Dealer

6. You Can’t Do It Right

7. High Ball Shooter

8. The Gypsy

9. Soldier of Fortune

Bonus Tracks:

10. Holy Man (Glenn Hughes remix)

11. You Can’t Do It Right (Glenn Hughes remix)

12. Love Don’t Mean a Thing (Glenn Hughes remix)

13. Hold On (Glenn Hughes remix)

14. High Ball Shooter (instrumental) 4.30 (from Listen Learn Read On Box Set)

DVD:

The DVD features an original Quadraphonic mix album as 5.1 DTS 96/24 and the original album Quadrophonic mix stereo 48/24 with on screen images.

2-LP Tracklisting:

Side 1 (remasters)

------------------

Stormbringer 4.03

Love Don’t Mean A Thing 4.24

Holy Man 4.37

Hold On 5.08

Side 2 (remasters)

------------------

Lady Double Dealer 3.17

You Can’t Do It Right 3.25

High Ball Shooter 4.24

The Gypsy 4.10

Soldier Of Fortune 3.12

Side 3 (remixes)

----------------

Holy Man 4.38

You Can’t Do It Right 3.53

Love Don’t Mean A Thing 5.21

Hold On 5.23

Side 4

------

High Ball Shooter (instrumental) 4.30

High Ball Shooter (quad) 4.24

You Can’t Do It Right (quad) 3.25

Soldier Of Fortune (quad) 3.12

I've been on a few....Ritchie has an almost...god like status within the cannon despite his rather "prickly" personality.

The people who get slagged the most are Ian Gillan and Steve Morse. Though Ritchie has his detractors.

Different dynamic. Purple's family tree is so huge that you tend to have clearly defined factions.

As for Mk III.....many people would like to see it simply because it's been 35 years and they were together so briefly. Yet we have the Cal Jam video's....and two great albums "Burn" and "Stormbringer"....

I think Knebby would agree that MK III was a pretty good if not great version of DP.

Here's Burn from Cal Jam...all the way back in 1974

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YuQMIeK28U

Jeff

permit me to digress for a minute since you brought up Cal-Jam. Check out Paice's smiling head jive, turning side to side, and furious stick action. Personally I think this footage is the visual template for the movement of Animal from the Muppet Show. More official sources site Keith Moon, but just look!

Archived