Living Loving Maid vs Communication Breakdown

McSeven

I actually think this song is better than CB. CB has only one thing going for it. CB is a better live song because they throw some funk into the ending.

Does anyone know why the band did not play LLM much, or why they thought it was average.

I acutally think that LLM is more classic Zep than the almighty Stairway/Kashmir.

Mc7

I actually think this song is better than CB. CB has only one thing going for it. CB is a better live song because they throw some funk into the ending.

Does anyone know why the band did not play LLM much, or why they thought it was average.

I acutally think that LLM is more classic Zep than the almighty Stairway/Kashmir.

Mc7

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. NO!

Living Loving Maid's albatross is that it follows Heartbreaker which has perhaps the best guitar solo ever recorded. Makes it sound rather ordinary.

What can I say about Communication Breakdown except that it was the first LZ song I ever heard, and it nailed me to the floor. I knew straightaway that all my prayers for a rock band had been answered. It is, by far, the most powerful heavy rock vocal tracks ever matched only by Ian Gillan on Highway Star. Don't know if there is any truth to this rumor, but I heard they had to use extra heavy sound baffles in the vocal booth to keep Plant's voice from bleeding into the other mikes.

Here is a quote from Chris Welch's book Led Zeppelin, The Stories Behind Every Song:

"Zeppelin playing a radio-friendly pop song? Well this is the closest they ever got to that during their career. It's got a real 60s feel and might have been designed for the Merseybeats.

Page, asked what were his favourites, once said that it would be easier to cite his least favourite track: 'Living Loving Maid". Maybe it's the way the band chorus 'DOWN!' as Plant sings 'You'd better lay your money down!' Either way Page wasn't keen, but it is still a catchy, attractive melody with some fine country guitar work. It certainly provides a cheery contrast to all the blues rock angst.

Released on the B-side of 'Whole Lotta Love' in the US it later became an A-side in its own right, when it managed to reach No. 65 in the US Billboard chart after extensive radio plays. The song about a groupie 'with the purple umbrella and the fifty-cent hat' was rarely played live. Plant sang the first line after the band had finished playing 'Heartbreaker' at a gig in Hamburg, Germany in March 1970, and later performed it during his own band's Manic Nirvana tour of 1990."

So Jimmy didn't like this song and they rarely played it live. Maybe it is associated with some bad memories of some sort for him. Or maybe it was just thrown together at the last minute for filler on the album and didn't get Jimmy's full attention to detail. Or maybe something happened when they were recording it.

I like this song and don't hear anything wrong with it musically or lyrically. I also like it tacked onto the tail end of "Heartbreaker", the way they usually play it on US radio.

Here is a quote from Chris Welch's book Led Zeppelin, The Stories Behind Every Song:

"Zeppelin playing a radio-friendly pop song? Well this is the closest they ever got to that during their career. It's got a real 60s feel and might have been designed for the Merseybeats.

Page, asked what were his favourites, once said that it would be easier to cite his least favourite track: 'Living Loving Maid". Maybe it's the way the band chorus 'DOWN!' as Plant sings 'You'd better lay your money down!' Either way Page wasn't keen, but it is still a catchy, attractive melody with some fine country guitar work. It certainly provides a cheery contrast to all the blues rock angst.

Released on the B-side of 'Whole Lotta Love' in the US it later became an A-side in its own right, when it managed to reach No. 65 in the US Billboard chart after extensive radio plays. The song about a groupie 'with the purple umbrella and the fifty-cent hat' was rarely played live. Plant sang the first line after the band had finished playing 'Heartbreaker' at a gig in Hamburg, Germany in March 1970, and later performed it during his own band's Manic Nirvana tour of 1990."

So Jimmy didn't like this song and they rarely played it live. Maybe it is associated with some bad memories of some sort for him. Or maybe it was just thrown together at the last minute for filler on the album and didn't get Jimmy's full attention to detail. Or maybe something happened when they were recording it.

I like this song and don't hear anything wrong with it musically or lyrically. I also like it tacked onto the tail end of "Heartbreaker", the way they usually play it on US radio.

Huh - I didn't know that. I'm not sure I've heard a version of it from Robert solo. Must check that out.

More info from Dave Lewis' book Led Zeppelin A Clebration

"Jimmy returned to the Telecaster to knock out what the bnad always considered to be somewhat of a production line filler. However, this tight, hook-laden ditty, found much favor on the radio, and when 'Whole Lotta Love' finished its run in America, 'Living Loving Maid' was flipped over to become an A-side in its own right."

"The song is rumoured to be about one of their early, persistent West Coast groupies."

"Such was their distaste for this track, it never received a public airing. The nearest it came to it was when Plant sang the opening line in jest at Earls Court on May 24, 1975. Explaining the intention of the show he said 'We don't just mean we're gonna groove around on anything that could be groovy like 'With the purple umbrella and the fifty cent hat' - no none of that!' In a surprise move Plant brought the song into his Manic Nirvana tour set in 1990."

What does that last quote by Robert mean?

Just another indecipherable Plantation?

More info from Dave Lewis' book Led Zeppelin A Clebration

"Jimmy returned to the Telecaster to knock out what the bnad always considered to be somewhat of a production line filler. However, this tight, hook-laden ditty, found much favor on the radio, and when 'Whole Lotta Love' finished its run in America, 'Living Loving Maid' was flipped over to become an A-side in its own right."

"The song is rumoured to be about one of their early, persistent West Coast groupies."

"Such was their distaste for this track, it never received a public airing. The nearest it came to it was when Plant sang the opening line in jest at Earls Court on May 24, 1975. Explaining the intention of the show he said 'We don't just mean we're gonna groove around on anything that could be groovy like 'With the purple umbrella and the fifty cent hat' - no none of that!' In a surprise move Plant brought the song into his Manic Nirvana tour set in 1990."

What does that last quote by Robert mean?

Just another indecipherable Plantation?

It means that Communication Breakdown is a perfect song.

Dunno why they aren't fond of it?

Perhaps they felt that they didn't nail it as well as other songs.

I love Jimmy's short solos just as much as his longer ones.

Not in any particular order as they change daily:

CB

HB

LLM

TY

Tangerine

RnR

DD

The Rover

SA

FYL

and even Hot Dog!

Actually LLM happens to be my ringtone and I also thinks it's VINTAGE Zep.

To me it's Black Dog in the makin'.

As for CB, AWESOME tune. Short and to the point.

Advantage: LLM

I have that as my ringtone too. It always turns heads when people hear my pone ring. It's loud and in your face. For some reason it doesn't come of that way when listening to the album, but played separately on it's own, it kicks ass. I really love this song and prefer it to Communication Breakdown and really wished they had played it live.

Archived